Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
yugami
Connoisseur
yugami began at the beginning.

Device: PRS+950
EInk Pearl + Good library interface (must use epub)?

What Pearl based reader has the best user interface for scrolling/sorting/searching through books?

Looking for a 6" reader.
yugami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
paperkraft
paperkraft began at the beginning.

Device: none
Have you looked at the nook touch? It has 6" screen, pearl display and a good library(with cover art) UI.
paperkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperkraft View Post
Have you looked at the nook touch? It has 6" screen, pearl display and a good library(with cover art) UI.
+1 I agree
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle has excellent search features. It's the only one of the mainstream readers (as far as I know) which fully indexes your books so you can carry out library-wide searches.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle has excellent search features. It's the only one of the mainstream readers (as far as I know) which fully indexes your books so you can carry out library-wide searches.
Unfortunately the kindle doesn't support ePub.

I would agree with the above posters about the nook touch. The Sony ebook readers also work well, but are also very expensive.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yugami View Post
What Pearl based reader has the best user interface for scrolling/sorting/searching through books?

Looking for a 6" reader.
Sony WiFi PRS-T1

That's the reader to go for. It's supposed to be released in the US mid-September. There are threads all about the T1. So have a look and you'll find out more about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltsar View Post
The Sony ebook readers also work well, but are also very expensive.
The T1 is going to cost $149.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #7
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The T1 is going to cost $149.
It's good to hear Sony is finally getting sane with their prices! I still am hesitant to recommend something I haven't had my hands on, so my previous recommendation still stands :P
Old 09-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltsar View Post
It's good to hear Sony is finally getting sane with their prices! I still am hesitant to recommend something I haven't had my hands on, so my previous recommendation still stands :P
But you know the Kindle doesn't support ePub. So that means it doesn't qualify. So why recommend it when it's wrong for the OP?
Old 09-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
Caltsar
Zealot

Quote:
But you know the Kindle doesn't support ePub. So that means it doesn't qualify. So why recommend it when it's wrong for the OP?
I recommended the nook simple touch.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:44 AM   #10
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
another vote for the nook touch
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
LOL don't you just love that about this forum with all the kindle fans, you could ask where's a great place to eat in Chicago and they'll all pipe in "buy a kindle buy a kindle, it'll change your life"

Last edited by boswd; 09-06-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
another vote for the nook touch
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
yugami, where do you live ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I can't recommend the nook STR. I don't like the way they do the top and bottom margins and the way they've divided the internal memory between B&N downloaded eBooks and others is just wrong.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #15
boswd
Banned

Quote:
I can't recommend the nook STR. I don't like the way they do the top and bottom margins and the way they've divided the internal memory between B&N downloaded eBooks and others is just wrong.
I never understood the whole "the sky is falling" mentality when it comes the division of the sideloaded books and bn downloaded. It has an SD card slot you can load as many sideloaded books as your heart is content.

oh well, different strokes I guess.