Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 11-05-2009, 05:49 AM   #76
Arturo
Arturo began at the beginning.

Device: Koobe (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Maybe, but I only read fiction novels without footnotes.
I find footnotes quite useful. If there is a comment/explanation/translation to some part of the text it is beautifully shown at the bottom of the page, just like in pbooks. See attachment. This is of course personal preference.
Several free books contain footnotes and while they are handled well in CR, not in FR.

Quote:
...when it finds an FB2 markup that it can not handle...
How do these get into the FB2 file? I am really curious, because I never saw this problem in any of my ebooks. It seems OpenOffice.org FBTools does its job fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Footnotes.jpg
Views:	907
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	38556  
Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:07 AM   #77
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
Interesting - what do you use to generate your FB2 files? I use BookDesigner and it doesn't seem to add any unusal markup that CR can't handle. I believe OOoFBTools also does a decent job. Some of th other converters I'm not so sure about. I have had no success with the Calibre FB2 output.
I also use Book Designer to build FB2 files. I use it to create an FB2 and an HTML file from my original source material. I use the HTML output of BD as the input to Sigl to create an EPUB file. OI and FBReader has always handled both those files just fine for me. I only run into CoolReader problems with *some* files and it is usually a problem with a character that can not be displayed with CoolReaders character set. When I find CoolReader skipping paragraphs, I have to load the FB2 file into a text editor and find the character that caused CoolReader to abort the paragraph. I can then do a global search and replace to replace the offending character with one that CoolReader will accept. I do not have any such problems with FBReader. I am stuck using CoolReader with the Hanlin V5, but with my Hanlin V3 running OpenInkpot I have no problems with FBReader, so that is my preferred reader at the moment. FBReader also has an advantage for me in that it can be configured with a popup menu in OI, so I do not need the extra step of making an FB2.css in in the .crengine folder like I need to do to get CoolReader to work the way that I want it to.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:27 AM   #78
Arturo

I see now. I was deceived by the word "markup".
Can you tell what characters are that CR will not handle?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:57 AM   #79
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo View Post
I see now. I was deceived by the word "markup".
Can you tell what characters are that CR will not handle?
Actually, my memory deceived me, so that was my bad. The problem actually is in characters and not markup code. I set BD to the German language even when I am building English texts. I can not recall all the characters from memory, but the most recent one was "...". That is, three dots encoded as one character, usually used to indicate an interrupted sentence. When CoolReader comes to that character, it just totally gives up on the paragraph, at least in the implementation on the Hanlin V5.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #80
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Actually, my memory deceived me, so that was my bad. The problem actually is in characters and not markup code. I set BD to the German language even when I am building English texts. I can not recall all the characters from memory, but the most recent one was "...". That is, three dots encoded as one character, usually used to indicate an interrupted sentence. When CoolReader comes to that character, it just totally gives up on the paragraph, at least in the implementation on the Hanlin V5.
That is really strange! I have that "..." character in a lot of books and it shows up fine. Not really sure why it should be causing a problem.

usually when I have encountered problems in the past it has been things like the ampersand (&) issue - usually displays as the code " amp;" rather than &. When I create my FB2, I then open it in a text editor and do a 2-step find/replace, as follows:

(1) Find " amp; " (without quotes, of course) / Replace with " & "
(2) Find " amp;" / Replace with "&"

(1) first fixes things like "Smith & Co." where the & needs a space each side. (2) fixes the remaining instances of things like "R&R" (where no space is needed around the &).

The other issue I get is when there are non-Latin characters in the text - like Russian or Greek words. These tend to be display as the Unicode (I think) for symbols:

χρίστοζ = #967; #961; #943; #963; #964; #959; #950;

When there's just a few instances, I go in and change them manually in a simple text editor (Notepad in WinXP, TextEdit in Mac OS X). If there's a lot then that's a problem!

As you say, everyone is different, but I personally prefer the CoolReader interface and handling over FBReader on my BeBook - esp. the 3.0.19 port with the additional settings and search features. On the DR1000S FBReader is great! (especially for Mobi files). I liked OI when you had the choice, but it seems they have gone back to FBReader only? I guess they will "fix" that sometime soon.

Last edited by orwell2k; 11-05-2009 at 09:41 AM.
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #81
Arturo

Which firmware are you using on your V5?
I remember having this character (...) in a book I created and it was displayed perfectly fine with the LBook V3 firmware.
I do not know if it worked for me because I use OOOFBTools to create my FB2 files or because of the different CoolReader version.
I do not know much about the different V5 firmwares, but have you tried the LBook one? If it contains the same CR as their V3 firmware, that may improve your reading experience on your V5 reader.
Oh, and we are in an LBook topic, aren't we?

Last edited by Arturo; 11-05-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Those numbers..
Old 11-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #82
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo View Post
Which firmware are you using on your V5?
I remember having this character (...) in a book I created and it was displayed perfectly fine with the LBook V3 firmware.
I do not know if it worked for me because I use OOOFBTools to create my FB2 files or because of the different CoolReader version.
I do not know much about the different V5 firmwares, but have you tried the LBook one? If it contains the same CR as their V5 firmware, that may improve your reading experience on your V5 reader.
Oh, and we are in an LBook topic, aren't we?
HeHe, yes, I guess we are in the Lbook topic of the Hanlin Forum. But, AFAIK, there is no Hanlin V5 Lbook? Just a Hanlin V3 Lbook? For the Hanlin V3 I would not use anything other than OpenInkpot, and for the V5, Lbook is not currently an option.

FWIW, I think I tilted this thread off topic when I explained to keng2000 that CoolReader was no longer currently in OpenInkpot.

I will slink away and let the thread get back on topic.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #83
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 602, LBook V3
Quote:
But, AFAIK, there is no Hanlin V5 Lbook?
There is LBook V5. http://lbook.ua/ru/products/lbookv5
And both official and unofficial firmwares exist for it.
Latest official is here: http://lbook.ua/ru/downloads/firmwarev5
Latest unofficial is here: http://files.mail.ru/6C0Z4Q
torbich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #84
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by torbich View Post
Thank you, I did not realize that there was already an Lbook version of the Hanlin V5. The Lbook firmware is downloading now.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #85
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by torbich View Post
I am replying again, because I got the download completed and have the Lbook firmware installed. I really like the way it works so far, except for one problem. The problem is that Coolreader does not seem to be using the system language for it's own menus. I changed the system language from Russian to English, but all of the Coolreader menus are still in Russian. I did a bunch of trial and error until I finally got the book that I had been reading to have the font size that I wanted, so I am enjoying the book again now. Does anyone know if the Lbook developers plan to have Coolreader use the system language settings?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #86
Arturo

Quote:
I really like the way it works
I knew you would. These guys in Ukraine create the best official firmware for the Hanlin readers.
Quote:
The problem is that Coolreader does not seem to be using the system language for it's own menus.
CoolReader switches to English on my V3, but this is not a big issue. If it is in Russian that may be a bit worse... Perhaps Torbich can help you with this problem.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #87
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PW1 + PW2, NOOK HD
Hi, I downloaded the V5 firmware from the Ukrainian site as well - I think the current version listed on the Ukrainian website is 30 Oct. 09 and this firmware has a file delete function (keep any key depressed) and that is great!! BUT, I also have the Russian language problem but it only happens with FB2 files: the in-file settings menu is in Russian and changing the system language does not change that. Did anybody find a solution for this?
And this firmware has an option to set an internal clock. Does anyone know if that clock can be displayed in a book?
Thanks for any info!
booknut
booknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #88
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by booknut View Post
Does anyone know if that clock can be displayed in a book?
Yes, the clock can be displayed in the status line of CoolReader. When you are in the CoolReader, press the OK button for a menu, then the 8 button for the settings menu, then menu item 7 to toggle clock display on and off.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #89
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 602, LBook V3
Quote:
Does anyone know if the Lbook developers plan to have Coolreader use the system language settings?
I do not have V5, only V3, and on V3 all works fine.
I'll try to pass the problem to developers of Ukrainian firmware.
torbich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:28 AM   #90
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
usually when I have encountered problems in the past it has been things like the ampersand (&) issue - usually displays as the code " amp;" rather than &. When I create my FB2, I then open it in a text editor and do a 2-step find/replace, as follows:

(1) Find " amp; " (without quotes, of course) / Replace with " & "
(2) Find " amp;" / Replace with "&"

(1) first fixes things like "Smith & Co." where the & needs a space each side. (2) fixes the remaining instances of things like "R&R" (where no space is needed around the &).

Beware of doing a replace all on (2) above (I think the description means it should read -
(2) Find "amp;" / Replace with "&" (i.e. no leading space) if it is to catch "R&R")

Consider what would happen to the following :
"They arrived at the camp; set up their tent ...."

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote