Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #61
mohawk
Enthusiast
mohawk began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet, Tried the Fire, Currently, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Mohawk,

I'm leaning towards keeping the NT and returning the KF.

What does ZDbox do? I noted you installed it on the NT.
ZDBOX will list all your apps, either B&N or Android, third party. You can delete any app with just one click of the button. It also allows you to move them around very easily in your Nook. It shows where your Ram is being used and has more features that I haven't even explored yet. So far the easy app delete is what I use it for the most.
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #62
Spatulachic
Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook
I currently own a Nook Classic that I love, but I'm in the market for a tablet, too. I can't decide whether to keep and use my Classic for most of the reading that I do, and then purchase the Nook Tablet for family use and reading when I need the screen backlit, or upgrade to the Touch to keep the e-Ink, and purchase a non-Nook-or-Kindle-eReader-tablet. I love having the e-Ink screen because I'm in front of computers all day long, and when I want to read before bed, it's easier for me to settle down and allow my eyes to rest enough to fall asleep.

Part of me is leaning towards keeping the Classic until it dies (I've can't remember how long I've had it - a year and a half, maybe longer?), and going with the NT, but I'm a little concerned about the functionality. The tablet will definitely be for entertainment purposes - web surfing, email, books in color for my kindergarten-aged son, various apps and games that I have on my Atrix (previously rooted, now unrooted), and watching Netflix and media that I load onto it.

I don't have a problem with the 1GB for personal content since I'd add the microSD card and move all apps I could to that. It sounds like installing 3rd party apps is enabled, so I wouldn't need to root. My chief concerns, though, since this is not an actual Android tablet:

1. I want to be able to load/stream and watch my .avi and .divX files from my home media server. On my phone, I currently use MoboPlayer for the transcoding, and BubbleuPnP for the media server. Will the NT run these apps on the current OS? I don't want to have to convert the files to MP4, then load them when there's a perfectly capable transcoder app - we'll load media for when we're on trips or when I travel, but at home, I'd rather be able to just stream from my media server.

2. Will B&N release firmware updates to keep up with Android technology, or will those firmware updates be geared towards moving *away* from Android to make it more dependent on B&N proprietary software?

3. I don't want to root. Period. I'm sick of rooting my devices to get a functionality that is eventually released in an update or that I can get with another device.

Honestly, I like the idea of the NT, and I've been absolutely thrilled with my Nook Classic, so I'm comfortable with B&N and have always had great customer service. If the NT works for the 'extras' I'd need, I'd rather keep using my Classic as long as I can, and purchase the NT to use as a tablet/eReader. So...for those who are familiar...am I expecting too much? Or would the NT be a good choice for what I want in a tablet device?
Spatulachic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #63
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Regarding patches to the UI, I wouldn't hold that against Amazon. B&N has a one year head start, so they've already done the kind of polishing that the Fire is going through right now.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #64
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatulachic View Post
2. Will B&N release firmware updates to keep up with Android technology, or will those firmware updates be geared towards moving *away* from Android to make it more dependent on B&N proprietary software?
It looks like B&N is locking down the NT to eliminate the ability to sideload apps. So I'd say definitely moving away from an open Android system.

Nook Tablet update closes sideloading loophole
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #65
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Well that's disappointing....it's a deal breaker for me now.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #66
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
No Android Market + No Sideloading Apps = No Nook Tablet for Me.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #67
mohawk
Enthusiast

I was sorely disappointed with the fact that the B&N upgrade to 1.4.1 would plug the sideloading hole in the NT. Frankly, I felt cheated. In the buying process, I compared the specs and capabilities of the various 7" devices side by side. The clincher for me was the fact that you could sideload apps without rooting the device and the superior hardware of the NT. When I made my decision and purchased the NT that's what I got. A 7" color ereader with limited tablet capabilites but great specs and capabilites. When the "FORCED" update was implimented I really felt cheated by B&N and my immediate gut response was to return the NT for a refund and buy a refurbished nook color with a N2A card. But after seeing the good folks at XDA furiously working on the necessary hacks to the NT, I've decided to wait it out for a while and see what develops in the near future.
In all honesty, I have more faith that the developer community can maximize the superior hardware of the NT platform better than B&N can plug the holes in it. At least they have approx 40 days to do so before I need to return the NT for a full refund. (Jan 31st return deadline)

Have faith, and be patient. The gurus and experts are working on it as we speak. If things go well we'll end up will a killer 7" Android Tablet.

Last edited by mohawk; 12-21-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #68
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I also purchased it based upon what I could do without rooting. Unless I'm missing something and it is only a matter of time, my NT is still without the update as I checked the version.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #69
mohawk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
I also purchased it based upon what I could do without rooting. Unless I'm missing something and it is only a matter of time, my NT is still without the update as I checked the version.
Hopefully, you've allowed third party downloads and loaded all the apps you need for now. I've done so and I keep my wifi turned off so they can't download the update. I do sneak downloads now. I turn on wifi AFTER I know exactly what I want to download and then turn on wifi just for that period of time. I expect that the devs at XDA will come up with a very easy fix to the update problem. Right now the one they have is still pretty "iffy".

The good news about the update to 1.4.1 is that all your third party downloads you have that were installed prior to the update installation will still work. This means that if you have the kindle app installed you can still buy books through the app from amazon and download them to the kindle app.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #70
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Mohawk ,

Told you to get a Fire, lol ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #71
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wifi is always set to OFF on the NT by me unless I'm downloading something, browsing the web or streaming NF (which isn't alot for any of those). Guess that explains why I'm still on the prior version. Fine by me!
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #72
Spatulachic
Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook
Mine hasn't updated yet either, and I accidentally left my wifi on all day. No matter, as it's about to go back anyway. The info about the upgrade is a dealbreaker. I'm returning it and will keep an eye out for good deals on tablets at Best Buy or on Woot.com after Christmas. I fix software issues all day, and to be honest, I just don't feel like hacking my tablet to emulate the standard Android OS. I want someone else to just hand me a tablet that doesn't need to be rooted that I can charge and go.

Too bad. It really has been fun - I had just about decided to keep it before reading the news.
Spatulachic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #73
Mycopsycho
Mycopsycho will become famous soon enoughMycopsycho will become famous soon enoughMycopsycho will become famous soon enoughMycopsycho will become famous soon enoughMycopsycho will become famous soon enoughMycopsycho will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Simple Touch Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatulachic View Post
Mine hasn't updated yet either, and I accidentally left my wifi on all day. No matter, as it's about to go back anyway. The info about the upgrade is a dealbreaker. I'm returning it and will keep an eye out for good deals on tablets at Best Buy or on Woot.com after Christmas. I fix software issues all day, and to be honest, I just don't feel like hacking my tablet to emulate the standard Android OS. I want someone else to just hand me a tablet that doesn't need to be rooted that I can charge and go.

Too bad. It really has been fun - I had just about decided to keep it before reading the news.
My sentiments, too. I've noticed that the Nook Tablet has almost completely disappeared from the ebook blogs, reviews, etc. B&N has managed to make the NT a non-starter with the 1.4.1 update. ITMT, the Kindle Fire continues to show up all over the 'net.

Last edited by Mycopsycho; 12-24-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Mycopsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #74
mohawk
Enthusiast

All you guys have jumped the gun. You should have more faith in the developer community. the folks over at Liliputing have just publishing how to continue sideloading 3rd party downloads even if you have the new 1.4.1 upgrade installed and a rooted NT is NOT a requirement.
Here......Merry Christmas.......now get to work.

http://liliputing.com/2011/12/sidelo...-required.html
Old 12-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #75
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawk View Post
All you guys have jumped the gun. You should have more faith in the developer community. the folks over at Liliputing have just publishing how to continue sideloading 3rd party downloads even if you have the new 1.4.1 upgrade installed and a rooted NT is NOT a requirement.
Here......Merry Christmas.......now get to work.

http://liliputing.com/2011/12/sidelo...-required.html
Hardly something that the masses will be doing. The average consumer will not be sideloading apps on the NOOK Tablet. That's unfortunate.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote