Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #211
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
I'm thinking about doing is getting a new Mac Mini to attach to my Sansung HDTV to make up for all the stuff the ATV can not do, like Hulu or use Plex without jail-breaking.
Careful with the specs!

I just bough the 11 inches Mac Air, and love it. But won't have enough juice to run VMs and certain software. It is really portable but started to think the 13 inches was a better investment.

I have a bigger laptop but the CPU is not so powerful, and runs Linux. Thinking about adding more memory and see if that will help the Win 7 VM I had there.

I do need to fix the playback issue with my PlayOn. Is running on this machine which is certainly under-power. And PlayOn runs only on Windows Os.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #212
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
I dropped my ATT U-verse service (TV/Inet/Phone for $100 monthly for 2 years was up and they would not continue so I canceled at the end of my contract) and got Comcast Infinity Internet service, high speed with additional basic TV, ABC NBC FOX PBX CBS and those pain-in-the-neck religious channels and home shopping crap all for $30 monthly for a year.
When I called Comcast and asked to cancel my contract at the end of the month, they offered me the services I already had at the introductory price, but... I wouldn't have HBO Latino. Great! I wish I could delete the rest of the Spanish stations that I can't understand and have to scroll through. I wonder if there is a way to not see those channels Ooo... maybe parental controls??!!
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #213
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Careful with the specs!

I just bough the 11 inches Mac Air, and love it. But won't have enough juice to run VMs and certain software. It is really portable but started to think the 13 inches was a better investment.
I think new MBA models were just released today.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:13 AM   #214
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
When I called Comcast and asked to cancel my contract at the end of the month, they offered me the services I already had at the introductory price, but... I wouldn't have HBO Latino. Great! I wish I could delete the rest of the Spanish stations that I can't understand and have to scroll through. I wonder if there is a way to not see those channels Ooo... maybe parental controls??!!
Speaking of that, I'm sick of all the Spanish Language email Spam I increasingly get!!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:16 AM   #215
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Speaking of that, I'm sick of all the Spanish Language email Spam I increasingly get!!
Wow... that's new. I haven't heard of that happening.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:37 AM   #216
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Wow... that's new. I haven't heard of that happening.
It's constant here ... I've had my current email address "forever" though. I suspect at least 1 in 10 (spam) messages I get are in Spanish. Maybe I'm on a "special" list.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #217
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Maybe I'm on a "special" list.
Oh, we all know you're "special" already kenny.

To get back on topic, Roku announced the Roku2 yesterday that will be shipping in a few weeks. I couldnt really see any great improvements save for one version coming with Angry Birds and a motion sensing remote for games.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #218
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey, what's wrong with Spanish! ... Is an awesome language! Just learn it and you'll won't feel isolated or bad. The are more Spanish channels because we have more Latin population here.

Disclaimer: I hate Univision though! Nothing against Mexicans, but that channel is an insult to smart people.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #219
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post

To get back on topic, Roku announced the Roku2 yesterday that will be shipping in a few weeks. I couldnt really see any great improvements save for one version coming with Angry Birds and a motion sensing remote for games.
I am pretty sure it has a better processor so it will be faster at decoding... and will also be able to run apps a bit better. I think it has a better video system too. Oh, and the new Netflix app supports 1080p.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #220
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:

What you mean with Roku 2? new hardware or firmware upgrade? ... gosh, I bought mine 1 week ago. If this is a new hardware, maybe I should return mine and wait.

**EDIT**

Never mind, is hardware.

Last edited by jocampo; 07-21-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #221
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
I noticed that! Another little thing telling me to return it, even if it's to get the newer one with a smaller footprint.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #222
jocampo
Layback feline

I just order the new one, but did not return the one I have. I want to test it 1st.

The bought original Roku at one of the Fry's stores here in Houston, so I believe I can return before 15 days maybe?

Anyway, want to take the chance. The Roku 1 is giving issues when using PlayOn. I don't have that issue with the PS3, same network, same bandwith, same Netbook, so I am assuming is a CPU issue maybe.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #223
jocampo
Layback feline

For those interested on using PlayOn with Roku or PS3, or any other device.

I contacted PlayOn support and they strongly suggest a CPU with 500 Passmark score or more.

This website: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php provides CPU names with their corresponding passmark.

It looks like this is part of my problem, when using PlayOn I mean ...

I am in the process of test that with a faster CPU or buying a used computer instead. I will post my specs once the issue is fixed.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #224
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The broadcast channels are beginning to use the digital side channels around here, like 3-2, etc.) Now I'm getting RTV, Antenna TV, This, and MeTV besides the regular channels.

Cable has a lot more channels but they are becoming more and more indistinguishable from each other.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:49 PM   #225
jocampo
Layback feline

Update

I returned the Roku 2, PlayOn does not work. It is not so stable either. Stick to Roku 1 at least while the other one gets a more stable firmware.

My PlayOn now works like a charm. Using Parallels desktop and XP with SP3 as client with 2GB of RAM. The physical hardware is a Mac Mini with 8GB of RAM. Home wifi is 12Mbps.