Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
Outrager
Connoisseur
Outrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Fee for downloading book on website over 3G?

First time poster, long time reader. Hi everybody! I did a search but couldn't find an answer to this and amazon doesn't seem to know since they keep e-mailing me back sections of the user guide.

If I were to go to a site like the Project Gutenberg website on my Kindle over 3G would I be able to download the .mobi (or any other compatible file) files directly onto my Kindle? And would I be charged a fee? How about on Wifi? I don't want to try it and get charged a fee so that's why I'm asking here.
Outrager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:57 AM   #2
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I think you have to transfer these files through your computer and then on to your kindle. I understand 3G doesnt allow general internet browsing anyway. And I cant see how you could do this with the wifi either.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 03:00 AM   #3
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Very good question Mate!

I read and re-read the Kindle manual and it only talks about Whispernet charges if you send them a file and ask them to convert it for you and send it directly to your kindle. It does not seem to mention any charges for downloading files from the web.

Also, it seems that you can send a document to your Kindle e-mail address (in you settings menu) but you will also be charged for this.

The charges are pretty minimal anyway. In the US it's $0.15/mb for wireless and $0.99/mb for 3G. Everywhere else (like me Down-Under) it's $0.99/mb for both.

Anyway, I thought I'd try it with my K3 3G connection. I went to the Project Gutenberg site (actually googled it from my K3 browser), found a book in Kindle format (it actually listed a Kindle format option on the screen) and downloaded it (told me that it was sending it to my home screen). It only took a few seconds to download (243kb =~$0.25 at worse I guess). After that, I went back to my home screen and there it was, and it opened up fine.

I checked my Kindle account ~30 minutes later and I did not see any additional charges. So I think as long as it goes through the Kindle browser and not your Kindle E-mail address, you should be ok. If I see any charges later I'll let you know.

This is potentially a really good find imho! It will save me a lot of time downloading these kind of files on my PC and then using my USB to dowload them to my Kindle. Many thanks Mate.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:04 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, there is currently no fee for downloading files via the web browser.

One small point, just in case you weren't aware. Here at MR we have hand-formatted versions of most of the classics which are much better done than the PG versions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:20 AM   #5
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
The link to the mobile version of PG is:
http://m.gutenberg.org/

I have used it with wifi AND 3G no problems and you don't get charged any fee. Brilliant but as Harry said most of the books right here are formatted better
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 03:38 AM   #6
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
I also tried it with my wife's K2i and it worked fine as well!

I'll try the mobile version of PG later to see if it is any better/faster. Thanks TheKindleWorm.

Harry, you are right, there are many better formatted versions of PG classics right here on this website. So, if you download a dud from PG, try here!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=128

Dumb question, but has anyone tried downloading mobi files from the MobiRead Forum Website directly to their Kindle?

Edit: The reason I ask is because I seem to get Kindle-Freezes when I try to access many forums. I also seem unable to sign onto them as well.

In any case, this is a great freebie from Amazon to allow us to do this. Wonder how long it will last?

Last edited by ThomasC; 09-22-2010 at 04:21 AM.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:14 AM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrager View Post
First time poster, long time reader. Hi everybody! I did a search but couldn't find an answer to this and amazon doesn't seem to know since they keep e-mailing me back sections of the user guide.

If I were to go to a site like the Project Gutenberg website on my Kindle over 3G would I be able to download the .mobi (or any other compatible file) files directly onto my Kindle? And would I be charged a fee? How about on Wifi? I don't want to try it and get charged a fee so that's why I'm asking here.
I have set my maximum for transferring files at 0,00 $ ( on Manage your Kindle) and though it takes a bit longer sometimes, I get them and have not paid anything sofar.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
Outrager
Connoisseur
Outrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Thanks guys. Great to hear it doesn't cost any extra fees. I will definitely get some of the MobileRead versions of the books I want to read.
Outrager is offline   Reply With Quote