Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
persiphone
Enthusiast
persiphone began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Newbie question I am sure

I just updated my Calibre and told it to add the icons to desktop and quick launch as I am a huge fan of calibre I have always updated but never ran across this before. I know it's something simple but brain is not firing very well today. I updated then went to open Calibre and my library is missing...where did it go, its as if I downloaded it for the first time, nothing at all in library. Any ideas? Thanks and I apologize beforehand for my inability to think today
persiphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
persiphone
Enthusiast

ok opened up preferences rerouted to my library where a file metadata was located and still nothing metadata.db
Advert
Old 04-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
What version were you running before the update?
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
persiphone
Enthusiast

I honestly don't know it's pretty new though, I only have had this laptop for around a month, when I first put calibre on it, I didn't transfer the old db, I started brand new and only moved over around 75 books then converted and did the metadata to them then transferred them to the book and it had worked perfectly until I updated it, I have always been on top of updating calibre but the only difference is this time I asked it to add the icons to the desktop and quick launch
Old 04-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre has been asking to install desktop and quick launch icons for a long time (at leaast 6 months).

Launch calibre from a command prompt as

calibre --with-library c:\path\to\the\folder\containing\metadata.db
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
persiphone
Enthusiast

it says invalid C:\Users\Persiphone\library\metadata.db Must be a directory? thank you so much for your quick reply, I love my calibre.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
persiphone
Enthusiast

I just found this in my persiphone folder it says it was created on the 6th and modified on the 24th don't know if it has anything to do with it but here it is
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.pyo", line 77, in detect_device
File "calibre\devices\prs505\driver.pyo", line 240, in open
File "calibre\devices\prs505\driver.pyo", line 159, in open_windows
File "wmi.pyo", line 612, in associators
File "wmi.pyo", line 189, in handle_com_error
x_wmi: -0x7ffbefff - OLE error 0x80041001
Old 04-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by persiphone View Post
it says invalid C:\Users\Persiphone\library\metadata.db Must be a directory? thank you so much for your quick reply, I love my calibre.
You need to use C:\Users\Persiphone\library

(leave off the metadata.db)
Old 04-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
persiphone
Enthusiast

it didn't do anything
Old 04-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

what is the size of the metadata.db file?
Old 04-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
persiphone
Enthusiast

76kb is it possible I saved another db somewhere else on my computer?
Old 04-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #12
persiphone
Enthusiast

lol that was a funny one, I meant is it possible the program could have saved it somewhere else that I am not looking
Old 04-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #13
persiphone
Enthusiast

ok nm I did a search for *.db and it was the only one aside from my datebook
Old 04-24-2009, 03:35 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

it's definitely not the original metadata.db

are your books stil lin the sub folder under the library folder?
Old 04-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #15
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Are you on Vista ?
I had a problem, too, first time I tried Calibre.
I solved it with 2 tricks (better more than less !)
1. Install calibre with a right click on the exe file, then Run as Administrator
2. Launch calibre with the same method.

Edit : BTW, my metadata.db is in Program Files\calibre\bin, though I don't remember if it was a personal choice...

Last edited by Idoine; 04-24-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote