Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Smile Hi from sunny (and cold!) Southern California

Hi everyone -

I'm a total newbie to the world of ebook readers. I just found your site and boy, am I glad!

With electronics, I have an unfortunate tendency to talk myself into buying lousy products that are cheap, and paying for that mistake later.

Right now I'm looking for an ebook reader that is less than $300. I'm going to look in the "ebookwise" forum because that one is (you got it) cheap! But I want to see if it's worth the $$ or if it's just going to be stuffed in a drawer somewhere after a few tries.

So thanks in advance for all the helpful info I hope to get here today!
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
At the < $300 price you mentioned you can also look at the Sony PRS-505. Some store will have them at $299 and some online places have them as low at $268.

I will let others talk about the ebookwise as I've never used one.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
The Sony 505 is the best device, if not the only eInk reader under $300. But, if you are planning on Buy alot of books you might make up the price of the $359 Kindle pretty quickly. If you save a few $s per book.

If you are going mostly public domain / free books and less expensive backcatalog stuff then the Kindle ebook prices won't be an advantage price wise.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I loved - emotional attachment - my EBW1150. I finally had to give it up when I could no longer see well enough to read on it. It is inexpensive, very comfortable in the hand, and has a touchscreen and built-in light. Much more comfortable to hold than any other device that I've handled, even if it does weight a few ounces more. It's all in the ergonomic design and nice grip feature.

Here's the lowdown: It uses an obsolete format called IMP. Not a big deal if you download books from here or buy them from eBookwise.com. However, you will have to learn to use some of the conversion software if you want to purchase books in other formats. I am inept and never became proficient in converting other formats or enlarging fonts.

What I've been telling folks is to go to eBookwise.com and browse their collection. If you like what you see, then you can not go wrong with the EBW1150. However, if you are looking for some specific titles and can't find them, then maybe another device and format would be a better fit.

Good Luck with whatever you choose. All of the devices are wonderful, and each has its own set of drawbacks. But no matter what you choose, I am certain you will have many years of happy reading.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello stoogeswoman, I don't have a EBW1150 but its a highly praised device and inexpensive
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I loved - emotional attachment - my EBW1150. I finally had to give it up when I could no longer see well enough to read on it. It is inexpensive, very comfortable in the hand, and has a touchscreen and built-in light. Much more comfortable to hold than any other device that I've handled, even if it does weight a few ounces more. It's all in the ergonomic design and nice grip feature.

Here's the lowdown: It uses an obsolete format called IMP. Not a big deal if you download books from here or buy them from eBookwise.com. However, you will have to learn to use some of the conversion software if you want to purchase books in other formats. I am inept and never became proficient in converting other formats or enlarging fonts.

What I've been telling folks is to go to eBookwise.com and browse their collection. If you like what you see, then you can not go wrong with the EBW1150. However, if you are looking for some specific titles and can't find them, then maybe another device and format would be a better fit.

Good Luck with whatever you choose. All of the devices are wonderful, and each has its own set of drawbacks. But no matter what you choose, I am certain you will have many years of happy reading.
Hi DixieGal - great and practical advice - thanks!

I am leaning towards the eBookwise primarily because of cost and because I want it now rather than waiting to save up for the Kindle or the Sony! (I'm so impatient! )

Of course I have to remind myself, it's not the end of the world if I make the "wrong" choice. I have heard tell that there are people in the world who actually buy more than one of these newfangled electronic thingamajigs! What a concept!

Last edited by stoogeswoman; 02-12-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman View Post
Of course I have to remind myself, it's not the end of the world if I make the "wrong" choice. I have heard tell that there are people in the world who actually buy more than one of these newfangled electronic thingamajigs! What a concept!
I see you've met Nate the Great. His collection is just for bragging rights at this point!

If you like the available books at eBookwise, then I think you are making a great choice. Enjoy!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The Sony 505 is the best device, if not the only eInk reader under $300. But, if you are planning on Buy alot of books you might make up the price of the $359 Kindle pretty quickly. If you save a few $s per book.

If you are going mostly public domain / free books and less expensive backcatalog stuff then the Kindle ebook prices won't be an advantage price wise.

BOb
Adding to Bob's reply, if you have a local library that lends ebooks, that will also be big savings versus buying books. That savings could be used to offset the purchase of an ideal device.

Libraries lend in pdf and mobi formats.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
stoogeswoman
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Adding to Bob's reply, if you have a local library that lends ebooks, that will also be big savings versus buying books. That savings could be used to offset the purchase of an ideal device.

Libraries lend in pdf and mobi formats.
Now see, there's something I learned that I didn't already know! It's been a while since I've been to the library - I'm a total bibliophile & have tons of books at home, so just haven't felt the need. So thanks for that - I will definitely check that out (so to speak! ).

Main reason I'm thinking of getting this is, I take the train to work every day and it gets to be a hassle trying to decide which book I should take with me. It'd be great to have several available, all on one little device I could pop into my tote bag.

I'm really leaning heavily towards just going ahead & buying the eBookwise reader today. Unless someone pops in with a horror story to push me in the other direction, which no one seems to have done yet. But the day is young!
Old 02-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
grooks
Wizard

Quote:
I am leaning towards the eBookwise primarily because of cost and because I want it now rather than waiting to save up for the Kindle or the Sony! (I'm so impatient! )
For instant gratification go to your local Target or Border's Bookstore or Fry's Electronics (not sure if these are in California) and the Sony 505 should be in stock and available for you to demo.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #11
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi stoogeswoman and welcome to the Forum. I've had a 505 for a little over a year and like it a lot.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #12
stoogeswoman
Zealot

(deep breath) OK, I did it - I ordered one!

The price is right and there are enough books on their site that I want to read, that I know I will get a lot of good use out of it.

And perhaps I'll start putting aside a little extra $$ now so that I can get a Kindle or Sony later on.

to all of you for all the good advice! I feel really good about my purchase and can't wait to get started!
Old 02-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #13
grooks
Wizard

Congrats and welcome to the world of ebooks and ebook readers.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
(deep breath) OK, I did it - I ordered one!

The price is right and there are enough books on their site that I want to read, that I know I will get a lot of good use out of it.

And perhaps I'll start putting aside a little extra $$ now so that I can get a Kindle or Sony later on.

to all of you for all the good advice! I feel really good about my purchase and can't wait to get started!
Congratulations!!!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
stoogeswoman
Zealot

I'm really enjoying it - and am pleased that the "learning curve" isn't very steep at all. Took me one day to figure out 80% of the features, and the rest I just haven't had the need to use yet!

I will tell you something funny though - I was showing it to my husband in a restaurant yesterday, and the waiter walking by saw it and said, "Hey, it's a KINDLE!" :-)

Guess "Kindle" is gonna become the generic name for ebook readers to the general public!