Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-08-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
segosarko
segosarko began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook
Cybook gen 3 - blue?

Read a review of the above which said the background of the screen looked blue or grey rather than white because only 4x geyscale compared with the Sony PRS 505 which looks white. Is this true?
segosarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
the screens of the sony and the cybook look exactly the same. and both are not bright white, but rather slightly gray as all e-ink screens available today are.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
The screens are all black on grey. The Sony is NOT white. That took me longer to get used to than the flashing on page turns, to be honest. And though everyone compares it to reading on paper, I don't find that to be so. It is still a screen, subject to glare and reflection, though not much, and I do find that I have to tilt the device here and there to get the best results. So don't believe ALL the hype.

Note: I still love e-ink, the screen is fantastic, and you truly have to see it to believe it. But it isn't "just like" reading on paper.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by segosarko View Post
Read a review of the above which said the background of the screen looked blue or grey rather than white because only 4x geyscale compared with the Sony PRS 505 which looks white. Is this true?
Utter nonsense - the Sony and the Gen3 use precisely the same screen. The fact that the Sony can display 8 grey-scales and the Gen3 only 4 makes not one jot of different to the appearance of either "black" or "white" (which is actually light grey) - it simply affects the number of "steps" which can be displayed between those two extremes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote