Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I'm surprised as well. I learned this lesson early on w/ my first reader, the Sony PRS-505. I knew it had crazy battery life, so I forgot to charge it. I was working out on the StairMaster when it died. I thought it was broken. It was "stuck" on a page and for the life of my I couldn't change it, I couldn't go back to "Home", and I couldn't turn it off. I tried to reset it, and nothing. I looked at the battery icon and it read "full" to me since it was solid. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it off of the page of words.

After finishing my work out and getting some food in my belly, it hit me. The solid battery icon might not be "full" but "empty"! So, I plugged it in. About 3 minutes later, it started to come alive.

So I learned, that if there is no battery in the reader, it will be stuck on the page, just like an etch-a-sketch, because it only uses power to change the page.
That is very odd. The 505's I've seen have always shown a low battery warning on screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #92
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
I had exactly the same experience on my PRS-950 - it hung on a page when the battery got too low. I thought it was broken, but I charged it up and it was fine.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #93
sombreastre
Enthusiast
sombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4 | kobo glo(?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
Does the Kobo Touch have glass in the screen? If so, why would the Glo be any different and should we be concerned? I realize that some people have broken their screens but is it just a few or a pandemic? I've also heard of people breaking their Kindle screens. So as long as it is as robust as the Touch, we know where we stand. It just means you need a decent case, correct?
They're all a bit fragile(except the lg), but not as much as you'd think. As for the case/cover, it's pretty useless imho: I've been using a kindle4 without any cover whatsoever when I'm reading(home or elsewhere) and wrap it up in a couple of layers of bubblewrap when it's travelling(more efficent than covers and much less expensive). Above all you must be careful not to drop anything on the screen, and not to sit on it(happened to many); a little fall here and there, it can stand, as long as it's a lucky fall
sombreastre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #94
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitor.fernandes View Post
If that's true then I believe kindle is better designed than kobo. I've had kindles for 3 years and never had to power off. Usually read 2 hours per night. Battery always lasts 2 to 3 weeks, wifi off. I intend to buy the kobo glo now so I expect those to be at least almost as good as kindles

It doesn't make sense. Of course internals take battery just like the battery on my watch to keep clock and things in memory but those are not even compared to a full shutdown and boot. Even my MacBook air has a month battery on standby/sleep and for sure it has much more powerfull internals than e-readers

Most people just don't get the e-ink nature. How the process of something appears on page
The factor that's confusing you is the "off" vs "sleep" vs "shut down and reboot" in Kindles.

When you let the Kindle go to sleep, or put it to sleep with a quick slide of the on/off slider, it goes into a very light sleep, during which some battery- intensive processes can occur, e.g., indexing.

When you hold the slider for ~20-30(?) seconds, the Kindle will completely shut down (the only true "off") for a few seconds, and then it restarts itself, ie, it reboots.

But if you hold the slider for about 7 seconds, you get what Amazon calls "off“ (it is the closest state of "off" you can keep it in). In this state, unlike "sleep", the screen will go blank, and all background processes, like indexing and wireless, cease.

This "off" state uses almost no battery, which is why Amazon advises users to put it in that state if we won't be using the Kindle for a few weeks.

Turning it back "on" from this off state does not require a boot up cycle. Since it's more of a hibernation state, sliding the power slider immediately "wakes" it up and shows you the same page you left it on.

Last edited by Piper_; 09-13-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #95
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
All e-ink except the new LG(??) have a very thin glass substrate that the e-ink film is laid on. Breakage can happen to any of them, but from what I've seen it's primarily twisting rather than an obvious "trauma" to the screen that seems to do it.
So in that case, the worst situation we can have with the Glo is that they value-engineered the glass or the frame, to be more fragile than the KTouch. The fact that they would have glass in the first place is therefore, just status-quo. So, I guess my question then is, what is all the fuss about? From what Sombreastre says, it sounds like we really need to watch where we put our rear-ends.

Last edited by TongueTied; 09-13-2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Added a thought
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #96
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
Obviously, I haven't experienced a cracked screen but if twisting is the primary cause of breakage, doesn't that take a fair bit of effort to cause that situation to happen? So in that case, the worst situation we can have with the Glo is that they value-engineered the glass or the frame, to be more fragile than the KTouch. The fact that they would have glass in the first place is therefore, just status-quo, correct? So, I guess my question then is, what is all the fuss about?
If you search the forums someone posted pics of the innards of a Kobo. We are talking a near paper thin piece of glass so it wouldn't take much bend over the fairly large surface area of device to stress it enough to break.
But I do agree that worst case should be status quo. Marketing dept likely never thought of the other ways no glass could be interpreted.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #97
vitor.fernandes
vitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughing

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I'm surprised as well. I learned this lesson early on w/ my first reader, the Sony PRS-505. I knew it had crazy battery life, so I forgot to charge it. I was working out on the StairMaster when it died. I thought it was broken. It was "stuck" on a page and for the life of my I couldn't change it, I couldn't go back to "Home", and I couldn't turn it off. I tried to reset it, and nothing. I looked at the battery icon and it read "full" to me since it was solid. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it off of the page of words.

After finishing my work out and getting some food in my belly, it hit me. The solid battery icon might not be "full" but "empty"! So, I plugged it in. About 3 minutes later, it started to come alive.

So I learned, that if there is no battery in the reader, it will be stuck on the page, just like an etch-a-sketch, because it only uses power to change the page.

Oh my, that's funny, it's exactly what happened to me when I had my first e-reader, Kindle 3, I was trying everything, even went to the web to research about it before I realized it was the battery.
vitor.fernandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:02 AM   #98
vitor.fernandes
vitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
The factor that's confusing you is the "off" vs "sleep" vs "shut down and reboot" in Kindles.

When you let the Kindle go to sleep, or put it to sleep with a quick slide of the on/off slider, it goes into a very light sleep, during which some battery- intensive processes can occur, e.g., indexing.

When you hold the slider for ~20-30(?) seconds, the Kindle will completely shut down (the only true "off") for a few seconds, and then it restarts itself, ie, it reboots.

But if you hold the slider for about 7 seconds, you get what Amazon calls "off“ (it is the closest state of "off" you can keep it in). In this state, unlike "sleep", the screen will go blank, and all background processes, like indexing and wireless, cease.

This "off" state uses almost no battery, which is why Amazon advises users to put it in that state if we won't be using the Kindle for a few weeks.

Turning it back "on" from this off state does not require a boot up cycle. Since it's more of a hibernation state, sliding the power slider immediately "wakes" it up and shows you the same page you left it on.

I think you are the one confused, have you ever had a Kindle? Off is Off, and it boots everything up either way, sleep is sleep, as in ready to go.
Yes, if you're leaving it for a few weeks, better turn it off, but there's no point turning it off everyday , or even 3x per day as some user has said. I always had wi-fi off, never used it at all, I used the computer to transfer my stuff.
Now bear in mind, if your kindle is 3G also takes battery.
The 20 seconds is more used to unfreeze, reset the kindle.

http://askville.amazon.com/turn-kind...estId=87279809

http://www.survivalguide4idiots.com/...now-about.html

http://www.ehow.com/info_8664218_can...le-always.html

I can find more pages if you still dont get it.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:05 AM   #99
vitor.fernandes

I have a question, I intend to buy the Kobo Glo, I've seen videos on youtube and when page is displayed there's the menu on the bottom, can I read without any menus? Many thanks for the replies.
Out of curiosity, which colour will you guys buy? White or Black? I am preferring the white from what I see on the web.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #100
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think you are the one confused, have you ever had a Kindle? Off is Off, and it boots everything up either way, sleep is sleep, as in ready to go.
Yes, if you're leaving it for a few weeks, better turn it off, but there's no point turning it off everyday , or even 3x per day as some user has said. I always had wi-fi off, never used it at all, I used the computer to transfer my stuff.
Now bear in mind, if your kindle is 3G also takes battery.
The 20 seconds is more used to unfreeze, reset the kindle.

http://askville.amazon.com/turn-kind...estId=87279809

http://www.survivalguide4idiots.com/...now-about.html

http://www.ehow.com/info_8664218_can...le-always.html

I can find more pages if you still dont get it.
Yes, there is a lot of misinformation and lack of understanding about the Kindle's power states. It's very easy and understandable to be misled.

All you need to do is test it yourself. It only takes about ten seconds total.

Turn it "off" with the 7 second slide, then slide it again to turn it back on. You will not see a boot up, but an immediate wake up.

You can also search the threads here in the Kindle forum, or you can spend hours like I did last year reading about the Kindle 's power management.

You'll find that what is commonly called "off" is just a deeper suspend/hibernate state than the usual sleep. It uses less power than sleep, and does not equate to "a full shutdown and boot."

(Yes, I own 2 Kindles, actually.)
Old 09-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #101
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
I have a question, I intend to buy the Kobo Glo, I've seen videos on youtube and when page is displayed there's the menu on the bottom, can I read without any menus? Many thanks for the replies.
Out of curiosity, which colour will you guys buy? White or Black? I am preferring the white from what I see on the web.
The menus do not show when you are reading. If it is like the Touch, you will tap at the bottom to get menus to show. With the glo, many of the videos are showing the slider that adjusts the intensity of the light. Not having held one, I don't know how you invoke it and make it disappear yet. There are menu free pictures on the Kobo site here: http://www.kobo.com/koboglo

I ordered a pink one, which will have the white front, I believe.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #102
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
FYI the Kindle 3 can not be turned off. Short of removing the battery.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #103
sombreastre
Enthusiast
sombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4 | kobo glo(?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
Yes, there is a lot of misinformation and lack of understanding about the Kindle's power states. It's very easy and understandable to be misled.

All you need to do is test it yourself. It only takes about ten seconds total.

Turn it "off" with the 7 second slide, then slide it again to turn it back on. You will not see a boot up, but an immediate wake up.
damn, I thought you were wrong too but... you're not!

Kindle 4 here. A 7 seconds hold (there's no slide button) will get me a blank screen, and from that, pressing the power button once again wakes it up immediatly!

anyways, could we get back on the glo-vs-paperwhite-specs topic?

Last edited by sombreastre; 09-14-2012 at 08:32 AM.
sombreastre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #104
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Anything but hard glossy white plastic will discolour I'd think from being held all the time. Also black seems to improve the apparent contrast.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #105
Piper_
~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombreastre View Post
damn, I thought you were wrong too but... you're not!

Kindle 4 here. A 7 seconds hold (there's no slide button) will get me a blank screen, and from that, pressing the power button once again wakes it up immediatly!

anyways, could we get back on the glo-vs-paperwhite-specs topic?
Thanks! FTR, i only use the 7 sec "off" when I disable sleeping.
And my apologies for the OT drift.