Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Sleep/off?

Just got a kobo touch and its completely different to what Im used to with the Sony PRS300!
No collections, no Author A-Z.
But the main query is when you switch it off. Or put it into sleep. No blank screen like I get with the Sony.
I just started a book, put it into sleep and its showing the book cover pic and "1% Read •Sleeping" at the top.
Is this normal? Does it ever go fully off?
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Yes that's normal. If you pull and hold the power slider a bit longer, it will turn off (shutdown) but you will still have a "screensaver".

You can set automatic sleep times and power off times in the menu (three bars at the top of the screen). The options are in Settings under "Sleep and Power".
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The collections might be called shelves if you have older firmware, but it's there too.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Cyclops
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
The collections might be called shelves if you have older firmware, but it's there too.
Yea I found Collections. You make a new collection tgen name it.
The other odd thing is I connected it to the pc and although Calibre recognises the reader and memory xard theres no kobo software been put on the desktop. Do I need this software seeing as I use calibre?
And how do I download from Gutenberg etc, when it only goes to kobo's shop?

Last edited by Cyclops; 12-25-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Yea I found Collections. You make a new collection tgen name it.
The other odd thing is I connected it to the pc and although Calibre recognises the reader and memory xard theres no kobo software been put on the desktop. Do I need this software seeing as I use calibre?
And how do I download from Gutenberg etc, when it only goes to kobo's shop?
There is no need for any Kobo software on your PC (unless you don't have a wifi connection, in which case you will need the Kobo desktop software to sync, update firmware, and transfer books bought from the Kobo shop, all of which could otherwise be done directly from the device via wifi). You will need Adobe Digital Editions on your PC to transfer Adobe DRM books, and it is a very good idea to use Calibre to transfer DRM-free books, although you can also just drag and drop the book to the device's filesystem.

You can download DRM-free books directly via wifi from Gutenberg or other places using the built-in browser. You can also use this method to transfer books via wifi from Calibre on your PC, although there are some extra Calibre options that only work if you transfer via USB (such as sending covers, setting series information, etc.)

And, of course, you can get books from Kobo using the bookstore interface, books obtained this way will be downloaded to the device as Kobo epubs or kepubs. If you want the standard epub version instead you can download that from the Kobo website to your PC and transfer it via ADE, Calibre, etc.

Edit: BTW the built-in browser is accessed at Settings > Beta Features > Web Browser

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-25-2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Web Browser access
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
And, of course, you can get books from Kobo using the bookstore interface, books obtained this way will be downloaded to the device as Kobo epubs or kepubs. If you want the standard epub version instead you can download that from the Kobo website to your PC and transfer it via ADE, Calibre, etc.
Lots of good info in this post. Just to add that Kobo unfortunately sometimes does not have an Adobe epub available for some books, and unfortunately it is very difficult to figure this out before buying the book. Lots of us have strongly suggested to Kobo that they disclose formats up front, but so far they're not listening (which is what has been sending me elsewhere lately.) Please feel free to join the chorus!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
user38
Enthusiast
user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Sony PRS T1
Cyclops
I note you have calibre. I have had an Aura for a couple of days and I have found it works very well with calibre. I set my reader up via wi-fi and it does everything I need it to do (although you may need to customise the device interface plug-in). If the plug-in is correctly set up calibre will create collections from the tags (or authors or series or whatever) and books can be exported to the reader from calibre.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	117214

Stephen
user38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
Cyclops

Thanks guys. So far its a beautiful device, so fast and responsive! And it will read .amz files!
Old 12-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
And it will read .amz files!
What is an ".amz" file? The only reference I can find is to an MP3s from Amazon packed as a zip file. As the Touch doesn't have a speaker, that doesn't sound like it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What is an ".amz" file? The only reference I can find is to an MP3s from Amazon packed as a zip file. As the Touch doesn't have a speaker, that doesn't sound like it.
Amazon book format. Maybe I read it incorrectly
Old 12-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon uses several formats. The original is "mobi". More recently there is "azw" in a couple of different versions. Sometimes a mobi file will hold multiple versions. Or maybe it is the azw files. I don't pay much attention to them. The Kobo readers support mobi, but only the older versions without DRM. And it is better to convert to ePub and use that.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #12
Cyclops

Ive discovered that there are no text options with mobi. With epub you get features if you long press on any word in the book. Not so with mobi.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

That's one of the reasons we recommend converting them. But, the main reason it that ePubs just work better.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #14
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That's one of the reasons we recommend converting them. But, the main reason it that ePubs just work better.
Most of my books on the sony were epubs, and tho I like that format I never got true pagination. Instead of going page 1,2,3 it would be 1, 1-2,2, 2, 2-3...etc
Old 12-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

In that case you might want to try kepubs.

For reading epubs, the Kobo and Sony devices use Adobe RMSDK. This does the page number according to https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ADE#Page_numbers. That means that a screen of text is not a page. The good thing about this is that the number of pages does not change with font size or the other reader settings. It is also consistent across all Adobe RMSDK based readers. But, a lot of people don't like it.

Kepubs are Kobo's version of an epub. They are basically the same as an epub, but with some Kobo based tweaks. An important thing is that they use a different reader application. This does page numbering per screen. When the font or other settings are changed, the page numbers are recalculated. But, the page numbers are per chapter. Some people love this and some loath it. There is an unsupported config file setting that will change the page numbering to per book.

If you want to try kepubs, you need the KoboTouchExtended driver plugin. You can install this from within calibre. There is also a kepub output plugin to convert the books in the library of you prefer that. Threads discussing both are in the calibre plugins subforum.