Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
njpollard
njpollard began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Telnet hack on Kobo Mini

Hi all,

I'm a reaonably proficient Linux user and developer, but having real problems getting the basic telnet hack working on my new Kobo Mini.

It seems that my amended KoboRoot.tgz file isn't being installed on the reader when I restart it.

As a simple test I've just added the following as the second line of /etc/init.d/rcS (as suggested in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197652 ):

Code:
echo hello > /mnt/onboard/hello.txt
I've created a tar file containing just that file (with the relevant path), added it to the .kobo directory on my device and unplugged. My Mini says updating, and reboots but doesn't create the hello.txt file.

I'm running firmware 2.3.1.

Any ideas? I've spent 6 hours trying variations on a theme and I'm ready to resign from my job as a programmer becuase I'm clearly too stupid!

Below is a link to my KoboRoot.tgz file if someone would be kind enough to check I haven't done something obviously wrong.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/108669071/KoboRoot.tgz

Thanks in advance,
Neil
njpollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When I look at the tar file I think I see etc\init.d

Looking at one from Kobo I see .\etc\init.d
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
The problem is that you're trying to echo to /mnt/onboard before it has been mounted. Move the echo line to the end of the rcS file and it should work.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
njpollard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
The problem is that you're trying to echo to /mnt/onboard before it has been mounted. Move the echo line to the end of the rcS file and it should work.
Thanks for your help. I put the command before the call to nickel and that now works. I should have examined rcS more closely.

I at least know that the KoboRoot is being unpacked now.

However, I've now replaced that line with:
Code:
/mnt/onboard/run.sh &
And put the echo statement into run.sh in the USB root of the Mini and it's no longer working

I've also tried:

Code:
/bin/sh /mnt/onboard/run.sh &
Old 02-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
try changing the line to the following:
Code:
/mnt/onboard/run.sh > /mnt/onboard/run.log 2>&1 &
It should then create a log file that will tell you what's going wrong.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
njpollard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
try changing the line to the following:
Code:
/mnt/onboard/run.sh > /mnt/onboard/run.log 2>&1 &
It should then create a log file that will tell you what's going wrong.
Thanks again for your help. I have an answer. No idea why this doesn't work, though:-

Code:
line 134: /mnt/onboard/run.sh: not found
The run.sh script is in the same directory as run.log
Old 02-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
njpollard

Have managed to get telnet access by adding the relevant commands to the end of rcS rather than using run.sh.

That's also helped me to work out what's wrong: the run.sh file I was editing had an odd character in the first line (after #! /bin/sh). It was visible using vi but not my normal editor on my PC.

Thanks to KevinShort for all your help, and to PeterT, too, for your suggestion.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Was it a '\r' by any chance? (iirc shows as ^M in vi).
If so, you need to run your files through dos2unix before placing on the Kobo.
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote