Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Replacement for Sony S Tablet?

My Sony S is just a little too big for easy carrying when I'm out and about. The 5, 6, and 7" tablets are too small for my reading - I'm a very fast reader and there just isn't enough text on the screens, so I'm constantly having to go to the next page. I'd like something in between 7 and 10. The only one I've found is the Galaxy Tab 8.9. Are there any others out there that are comparable or better? Or should I just stick with the Sony until something new comes about?

Any help would be most appreciated.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
There are other tablets. The Xoom Xzyboard, I believe it's a 8.9", the Vizio only makes a 9", and I believe Archos has an 8 or 9 inch model

The Vizio tablet has a 4:3 ratio
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
There are other tablets. The Xoom Xzyboard, I believe it's a 8.9", the Vizio only makes a 9", and I believe Archos has an 8 or 9 inch model

The Vizio tablet has a 4:3 ratio

Thanks, these give me some alternatives. The only concern I have is that they all have 1024 x600 (or 768) vs the Sony and Tab's 1280 x800. Guess I'll see if I can find a 1024 x at Staples and give it a compare to my Sony.

Appreciate your help.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
... The only concern I have is that they all have 1024 x600 (or 768) vs the Sony and Tab's 1280 x800.
Pixel density is a better way to measure a screen quality vs straight resolution. The reason is a screen with res of 1280x800 on a 10" screen is going to be more pixelated than the same res at 8".

With that said if you compare the Sony S to the other tablets using DPI as a measure we calculate the Tablet S with a 9.4" to have a DPI(aka PPI) of (160.58)

Sony S (1280x800 @ 10" : DPI 160.6)
XYBoard (1280x720 @ 8.2" : DPI 179.1)
Vizio (1280x768 @ 8" : DPI 186.6)
Archos (1280x768 @ 8" : DPI 186.6)

In the end it's best to still test the screen since there is more than just DPI/res but just from the spec alone you can garner that the screen resolution should suffice even though the res is smaller simply because you are moving to a smaller screen.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
peaceridge
Guru

Thanks so much, that never occurred to me. I just looked at an Archos at Staples. You're right the font is just fine. The only problem is that the background "paper" is a sort of grey color, not bright white like the Sony - even with the Archos turned up full brightness. I probably could get used to it, but I'm not sure. I might go ahead and get it and see if it works for me before the 14 day return is up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Pixel density is a better way to measure a screen quality vs straight resolution. The reason is a screen with res of 1280x800 on a 10" screen is going to be more pixelated than the same res at 8".

With that said if you compare the Sony S to the other tablets using DPI as a measure we calculate the Tablet S with a 9.4" to have a DPI(aka PPI) of (160.58)

Sony S (1280x800 @ 10" : DPI 160.6)
XYBoard (1280x720 @ 8.2" : DPI 179.1)
Vizio (1280x768 @ 8" : DPI 186.6)
Archos (1280x768 @ 8" : DPI 186.6)

In the end it's best to still test the screen since there is more than just DPI/res but just from the spec alone you can garner that the screen resolution should suffice even though the res is smaller simply because you are moving to a smaller screen.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
mobeale
mobeale began at the beginning.

Device: Sony s1
larger lightweight reader

Well, it's a year later from your post and if you're still looking I'd suggest the larger Kindle HDX which is coming out in November (very lightweight).
Or the Kobo AuraHD, an almost 8 inch reader which, I've read, has an elegant, pleasing back light for nighttime (no reverse color though).

I also use a Sony tablet S. It's really hard to beat for a reader and it's a passable tablet.

Did you find your new tablet yet?
mobeale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
peaceridge
Guru

Yep, a year later and I still haven't found a large tablet I like, sigh. I still have my Toshiba Excite 7.7 (for pdf reading) with Android OS and an Android phone. Also, just got the newest Kindle Paperwhite - really nice for ebooks - even though it is small it is surprisingly easy to read ebooks on it. No longer have the HTC phone or the Sony S.

I absolutely hate, hate Android, also don't care for Apple OS. I would like a Windows tablet, but haven't found one I particularly like - also don't like Windows 8, but it is the least objectionable OS to me. I'm a computer techie from way... way... back, probably why I hate Android so much - I can't really get in and fiddle like I can with Windows.

I'm a bit sorry I got rid of the Sony tablet S, as it was an ideal size. I've heard that the Kobo had software issues - do you find that on yours?
Old 10-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
peaceridge
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"?
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would suggest an iPad Mini. It's a good size without being too big or too small.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
peaceridge
Guru

Thanks for your suggestions. I think I'm just going to wait until windows tablets mature - I'm doing fine with my paperwhite, excite small tablet, and notebook computer right now.