Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #16
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
I spent the last couple after-work evening fixing my linux machine. I should have some new ideas for you some time this weekend.
Didn't get any time to work on this over the weekend sadly. I'll update you when I do.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #17
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
thanks. If I can help on anything? I got one for my wiffy and one for my daughter and got earache for breaking one as they are fighting over this.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:11 AM   #18
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

vicinc, have you tried

Quote:
sh update.sh user /mnt/sdcard
Old 10-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #19
perldude69
Fun-ologist
perldude69 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge, Galaxy S
I have a simalar issue with my PE. I think I killed the filesystems with a random act of dd and getting my if and of mixed up. I can't connect to my PE with adb, but I can use the u-boot terminal (Thanks nikkie for the pics!). Here is an excerpt from the log that I think describes the problem. Not able to mount root. I think I shot the partition table.

Quote:
[ 15.578948] 0801 503280 sda1
[ 15.582779] No filesystem could mount root, tried: ext3 ext2 vfat msdos ntfs fuseblk
[ 15.590658] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)
[ 15.598956] Rebooting in 1 seconds..
Does anyone have an idea about how to manually start adb services from the u-boot menu? Is it even possible?
The other route I was thinking about was to connect the usb to a Linux box and run tftpboot from the u-boot and have a script fdisk the PE and rewrite the partition tables. Would this help vicinc too? Does anyone have the details of the partition tables so I can give it a try tonight after work?

Many thanks,
Jim :-)
perldude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #20
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

if you find a way to start adb in uboot is great, but the commands are not docummented in uboot.
i have adb (android boots fine on me but without any of the eink drivers loading) but still can not do much about it. any ideas?
Old 10-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #21
nikkie
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by perldude69 View Post
I have a simalar issue with my PE. I think I killed the filesystems with a random act of dd and getting my if and of mixed up. I can't connect to my PE with adb, but I can use the u-boot terminal (Thanks nikkie for the pics!). Here is an excerpt from the log that I think describes the problem. Not able to mount root. I think I shot the partition table.

Does anyone have an idea about how to manually start adb services from the u-boot menu? Is it even possible?
The other route I was thinking about was to connect the usb to a Linux box and run tftpboot from the u-boot and have a script fdisk the PE and rewrite the partition tables. Would this help vicinc too? Does anyone have the details of the partition tables so I can give it a try tonight after work?

Many thanks,
Jim :-)
Yeah, I've seen your post Jim. I'm not sure how to fix the problem for either you or Vicinc. It is not possible to start ADB from u-boot, it needs the android os to actually be running.

As it turns out, the various flash drives are not partitioned - fdisk doesn't know what the crap to do with them. However, you probably can share a kernel with tftp and boot that kernel from u-boot. That might work. The other route is to use busybox from u-boot to dd a new image onto that drive from your flash drive. I'm not really willing to start dd'ing things to my partitions though, since I don't want to end up in the same place as you two. ;-) I can, however, send you the dd images from my ubi filesystems. I'll try and do that tonight.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #22
perldude69
Fun-ologist

Nikkie, the dd images will be great. I have the ones I created before I destroyed everything, but the only one that is readable is #5.
I am installing Linux now in hopes that I can do something over tftp. You mentioned busybox over u-boot. Do you know how this is started?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 10-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #23
nikkie
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by perldude69 View Post
Nikkie, the dd images will be great. I have the ones I created before I destroyed everything, but the only one that is readable is #5.
I am installing Linux now in hopes that I can do something over tftp. You mentioned busybox over u-boot. Do you know how this is started?

Thanks,

Jim
What do you mean by "readable"? The images are ubi file systems, so unless you have something which can mount them, you're not going to be able to do anything with them. They should be dd'd to ubi0_0, ubi0_1, etc.

busybox is a command in uboot, unless I'm remembering wrong. If so, you'll have to tftpboot a kernel to get access to busybox.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #24
vicinc
Guru

# sh update.sh user /mnt/sdcard
sh update.sh user /mnt/sdcard
fn=update.zip, dev=/mnt/sdcard, fs=auto
update.sh: cannot create /sys/devices/platform/pxa168-pwm.0/pwm-backlight.0/back
light/pwm-backlight/brightness: directory nonexistent
mkdir failed for -p, File exists
start: Wed Oct 26 00:17:05 GMT 2011 (user)
executing update script...
removing reboot_cmd from env...
update.sh: fw_setenv: permission denied
do_mount: do_mount: dev /mnt/sdcard dir /srcmnt type auto flags 0x8000 loop 0
do_mount: calling mount: dev /mnt/sdcard dir /srcmnt s auto rwflag 0x8000
mount: No such file or directory
update.zip does not exist on /mnt/sdcard
rm failed for -rf, No such file or directory
failed.

And reboots
also tried for extsdcard

# sh update.sh user /mnt/extsdcard
# sh update.sh user /mnt/extsdcard
sh update.sh user /mnt/extsdcard
fn=update.zip, dev=/mnt/extsdcard, fs=auto
update.sh: cannot create /sys/devices/platform/pxa168-pwm.0/pwm-backlight.0/back
light/pwm-backlight/brightness: directory nonexistent
start: Wed Oct 26 00:19:25 GMT 2011 (user)
executing update script...
removing reboot_cmd from env...
update.sh: fw_setenv: permission denied
do_mount: do_mount: dev /mnt/extsdcard dir /srcmnt type auto flags 0x8000 loop 0

do_mount: calling mount: dev /mnt/extsdcard dir /srcmnt s auto rwflag 0x8000
mount: No such file or directory
update.zip does not exist on /mnt/extsdcard
rm failed for -rf, No such file or directory
failed.

update.zip golden dingo on both cards!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:43 AM   #25
nikkie
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
What do you mean by "readable"? The images are ubi file systems, so unless you have something which can mount them, you're not going to be able to do anything with them. They should be dd'd to ubi0_0, ubi0_1, etc.

busybox is a command in uboot, unless I'm remembering wrong. If so, you'll have to tftpboot a kernel to get access to busybox.
The link to the ubis is here. The .tar.gz file is 312MB, so do us both a favor and don't download until you know you want to use them.

System is ubi0_0.img. This may be of use. Maybe.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #26
vicinc
Guru

busybox does not work on serial uboot.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #27
nikkie
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
busybox does not work on serial uboot.
Have to use tftpboot then, I guess...
Old 10-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #28
perldude69
Fun-ologist

Have you ever found exactly what you need on the Internet only to discover that some joker has placed everything behind some site signup system that is broke?
I found a site that has a fully functional uboot image for the Arm9 processor. They also have tutorials on their site on how to use uboot to restore partitions.... You just need to be able to download their files..... Behind some password protected forum that is broke. .. Argg!
OK rant over. I think if I can get to this stuff, I may make some progress.

On the bright side, I got tftp to work, and I can transfer files to the PE. It is almost midnight again, and I don't think I can make it tomorrow on four hours of sleep again. :-( Maybe on the week end?
On a side note, I used the latest Ubuntu to set up the tftp server. What happened? The GUI sucks raw eggs. It is like they want to loose users... I am tempted to give Red Hat another run....

Good luck all.

Forgot the site: http://www.embedian.com/index.php?ma...indez&cPath=72

Jim

Last edited by perldude69; 10-26-2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Added link to site!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #29
nikkie
Guru

Yeah, I just discovered the same thing. I went all ranty about it. I switched to Gnome, but Gnome3 has it's own issues. Redhat has the same problem since they are using Gnome3 also. Irritating as all hell.

Could you post instructions on doing the tftpboot under Ubuntu? I'd appreciate it. Why are you looking for u-boot images anyway? Isn't your u-boot working?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #30
vicinc
Guru

what files are you looking, i will try a search for you as well.
the cpu is ARMv5TE
http://www.gobolinux.org/packages/armv5te-softfp/
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/ARMv5TE-datasheet.html
do not know if any of this is helpful to you.