Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #61
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I would move that Lottery work more like what I propose in that the selected forumer gives a list of books to vote on.
Now, this I could support, instead of just being given a book to read. I like having choices.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #62
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You don't want to relive high school and university?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #63
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm curious (as someone who voted for Modern Fiction), why do you consider Life of Pi as "realistic dramatic fiction" and not The Kite Runner?
Regarding Life of Pi, I suppose it depends on how one interprets the book. In spoiler for those who have not read it:

Spoiler:
I take the second story as the real one. All the fantasy about tigers, orangutangs, etc. is just how Pi copes mentally with his experience and what he did to survive. In that I don't eliminate it as unrealistic, and otherwise consider it a worthwhile book.

The Kite Runner go my thumps down because the writing was bad; a soapy tale with unrealistic characters and portrayals. On retrospect I probably should not have eliminated it. I guess it is one of the books that fit the category, but that I would never nominate or vote for.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #64
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
You wouldn't make us read Apeshit would you?
Don't tempt me . Actually, I'd rather poke my eyes out than read that again, so don't worry, I'll be gentle if I do get chosen.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #65
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm going to second Free for All and Award Winners.
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #66
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question: Have we decided which version of Lottery we will use, should it win?

1. The lottery winner chooses a book that we all read.
2. The lottery winner chooses a selection of books from which we choose via a poll.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #67
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

^I believe it is option #1. As much as I like #2, it was based on the Lottery structure from the Literary Club.

That would be my interpretation. Wrong as it may be.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #68
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
If Lottery does win, perhaps we could diss it then?

EDIT: discuss it; not diss it! When I spotted it, that typo had me .

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-18-2012 at 01:45 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #69
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
If Lottery does win, perhaps we could diss it then?

EDIT: discuss it; not diss it! When I spotted it, that typo had me .
LOL. I knew what you meant.

I was asking now because the answer would determine whether I voted for it in the poll or not.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #70
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
It is a good question. Like you, I like having choices.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #71
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I nominated it originally and I prefer the modification, so count me in on "2. The lottery winner chooses a selection of books from which we choose via a poll." If fantasyfan and orlok agree, I think we could change it. Since that would be all three of the nominators.

I am ok either way though.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #72
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I nominated it originally and I prefer the modification, so count me in on "2. The lottery winner chooses a selection of books from which we choose via a poll." If fantasyfan and orlok agree, I think we could change it. Since that would be all three of the nominators.

I am ok either way though.
1. The lottery winner chooses a book that we all read.
2. The lottery winner chooses a selection of books from which we choose via a poll.

I had number 1 in mind but personally, I'm fine with either option.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 12-18-2012 at 03:24 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #73
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
There is no harm in having both versions on the poll.

The original Lottery that's now fully nominated could stay as it was originally meant, and someone else could nominate the modified version.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #74
Nyssa
Series Addict

Seeing as most of us have used up our nominations, any one mind if Tom just adds the second option to the poll, then? That way we can vote for whichever one we would like?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #75
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I think I'd feel happier choosing a selection to be voted on, rather than foisting my one choice on everyone. That way we can all share the blame when you don't like it
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote