Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-24-2015, 09:36 PM   #1
webroot
Zealot
webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
Performance compare eink vs tablet

I have had hands-on with couple of e-readers (Kobo and kindle) and few others like onyx, seen their reviews on Youtube.

I was looking at web browser's performance (speed only), let me clarify I am not expecting tablet like experience, that is to say, colorless, screen flicker and unsupported multimedia features from these web browsers are acceptable.

The main thing that bothers me, why the promptness of user interface is laggy and why web browsing in these eink readers feel very slow , not complaining linux run Kindle but some like Onyx are android based I expected them to work as fast as tablet of 512 mb ram.

I am guessing probable suspects:

- eink screen low refresh rate added to overall speed?
- is 512 mb of ram less (why)
- they are slow because most of them are pre-kitkat based.
- network card is slow.
- cheap touch technology is used

I also think manufacturers maybe compromising hardwares that arent related to reading stuff.
webroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:14 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I suspect they're slow because emphasis was given to battery life and speed in the browser simply wasn't a concern.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2015, 10:24 PM   #3
webroot
Zealot
webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I suspect they're slow because emphasis was given to battery life and speed in the browser simply wasn't a concern.

Barry
Battery life is closely linked with CPU, first i thought they must be putting similar ARM processor which are used in tablets/phones, but from the link http://www.devicespecifications.com/...l-cpu/92752e19

it says they are ARM processor but only 1 core and this one has only 256 mb of ram

Last edited by webroot; 06-24-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
My browsing isn't slow. Oh, wait, I browse on my computer. I read books on my Kindle.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:31 PM   #5
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
My browsing isn't slow. Oh, wait, I browse on my computer. I read books on my Kindle.

This^

The only thing I will use the browser on my kindle for is purchasing a book, not browsing for books but purchasing. I will use my iPhone for browsing and more often or not will just complete the purchase there and have it sent to my Kindle.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #6
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
There are times when I wish browsing was better on my Kindles or Kobos. Mostly when I need to download something from dropbox. The Dropbox site is not eink friendly
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
webroot
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
There are times when I wish browsing was better on my Kindles or Kobos. Mostly when I need to download something from dropbox. The Dropbox site is not eink friendly
That is what i am saying, people would have used eink for browsing if it was workable. I want to know eink is slow by design or inherently.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
E-Ink is a display Media
E-Reader w/E-Ink is a low power reading device

A few years back, someone posted a link to a E-Ink display showing a VIDEO. Poor speed is not all the fault of the screen (there are speed limits, even with LCD)

The reason some cars get 50MPG is they used a small engine so they were optimized for fuel economy (not performance).
Most E-Ink readers are optimized for Battery Economy.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #9
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by webroot View Post
That is what i am saying, people would have used eink for browsing if it was workable. I want to know eink is slow by design or inherently.
Actually it's not so much that it's slow, it's the colour scheme that translates to one shade of light grey on top of a slightly different shade of light grey.

OK it's also the scrolling needed - which is slow - but I could live with that more easily if I could see what's on the screen.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #10
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Bingo! If I want to browse the web I use my pc, I don't have to scroll as often nor to I have to adjust the font size to read a web page. My Sony, Samsungs, & Nexus are used for reading.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:29 PM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Like others already mentioned, I don't use my ereader for browsing, I use it strictly for reading books. That's what it's made for, not for browsing. And the speed is perfectly fine for reading.

Quote:
- cheap touch technology is used
There's only 3 types of touch technology that I know of: resistive (which thankfully I can't remember any manufacturer putting on an ereader); capacitive, which is in use on some models; and infrared, maybe used on a bit higher percentage of models. For myself I'll only use infrared (skin doesn't always play nice with capacitive touch, can't use it outdoors in cold weather without special gloves). If you're calling that cheap touch technology, it works and it works the best for my situation.

Or is it that you don't want any touch screen, you prefer buttons and think they're all cheap touch technology? I prefer no buttons, but there are some who would like buttons.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #12
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
A few comments and then an answer to the OP.

I don't see how an eInk Kindle, or Nook, is more made for reading books than newspapers. How the customer uses it is up the customer. I'm sure more customers are using them for reading books than newspapers, but that's not inherent in the hardware. As for what it is made for, it is made for enriching the companies which make and sell it

I find it is good for reading books, but the greatest superiority over paper, to me, is for reading essays too long to comfortably read on a computer. Also, I am glad to no longer carry around, and fill my trash with, newspapers.

As for browsers, I wouldn't say there are browsers for eInk in the same way there are browsers for tablets and larger computers.

One way to start seeing what an eInk web interface works well with is to go to:

www.readingthenet.com

Then click on Book of the Web.

I have only used this with eInk Kindle models, but it may work with others.

Browse on a computer, and read on a reader. For one way to do this, go to www.longform.org and set up the Send to Kindle buttons.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:13 AM   #13
webroot
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
E-Ink is a display Media
E-Reader w/E-Ink is a low power reading device

A few years back, someone posted a link to a E-Ink display showing a VIDEO. Poor speed is not all the fault of the screen (there are speed limits, even with LCD)

The reason some cars get 50MPG is they used a small engine so they were optimized for fuel economy (not performance).
Most E-Ink readers are optimized for Battery Economy.
Like SteveEisenberg said, these are imposed idea from authorities who are suggesting, eink is not for anything other than eBook reading, which is not inherent to the hardware. Today we have everywhere disruptive technologies and unbound innovation then who is stopping eink device to rise from its pitiful state.Nobody is asking for video playback but still it could have been made better. Who is stopping manufactures from adding 1 GB ram and octacore processors, Annoying that Kindle stated with 64 MB ram and still today it is hovering at 256 MB. Clearly all this is due to lack of innovation.

But if eink refresh rate is main limiting factor behind overall slowness then I can understand, I also suspect about life of eink device, I mean if you refresh too often, which internally changes to tiny ball orientation then maybe we are shortening the lifespan, maybe eink technology (electrophoresis) is bad for durability, can somebody enlighten us on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
A few comments ...Kindle buttons.
Similar to that link there was a possibility of "Active content" based apps, perhaps Opera had come-up with something.

Last edited by webroot; 06-28-2015 at 12:22 AM. Reason: adding more
Old 06-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #14
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Today we have everywhere disruptive technologies and unbound innovation then who is stopping eink device to rise from its pitiful state.Nobody is asking for video playback but still it could have been made better. Who is stopping manufactures from adding 1 GB ram and octacore processors, Annoying that Kindle stated with 64 MB ram and still today it is hovering at 256 MB. Clearly all this is due to lack of innovation.
No one is stopping anyone from doing anything.

It just isn't cost effective to put a lot of processing power into an ereader. Mainly because it really doesn't need it. And you probably can't price an eink tablet at something that wouldn't result in a loss to manufacture it.

Plus I think that the main processor that the ereaders use has been static for years, and has only recently had an upgrade.

My prediction is that next year's models/selling point will be new processors/speed. Kobo Glo SX. Or ZX. Or Boxster...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:50 PM   #15
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Actually it's not so much that it's slow, it's the colour scheme that translates to one shade of light grey on top of a slightly different shade of light grey.

OK it's also the scrolling needed - which is slow - but I could live with that more easily if I could see what's on the screen.
Scrolling works well on my Boyue T62 - I can see what's on the screen while I scroll. It was terrible on my Onyx Boox T68. I can see the text when I scroll, but images I can only see partially until I am finished scrolling.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eink