Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #361
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
BPL is Brooklyn Public Library which many of us here pay $50 a year for.
BPL has been and always will be Boston Public Library. Hence the URL. Sorry, but BPL is not Brooklyn.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #362
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
In case you weren't aware... You may be able to do this from the library end.
Some small amount of my taxes go to pay an acquisitions librarian to balance popularity, subject matter coverage, and quality as indicated by book reviews and awards. Personally, I would rather he or she earn their salary rather than filling out order slips based on requests from the public.

If that makes me an elitist, I plead guilty.

Here's the Overdrive link for last book I finished (in paper, purchased for $3.80 used):

Vimy

I'd rate it high in quality, but, outside Canada, low in popularity. Therefore, probably does not make the cut.

This isn't to criticize people who take advantage of libraries that honor patron buy requests. If they are going to take requests, I guess yours is as good as the next person's.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #363
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Deleted due to redundancy

Last edited by xendula; 01-24-2013 at 08:03 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #364
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
BPL has been and always will be Boston Public Library. Hence the URL. Sorry, but BPL is not Brooklyn.
Does it really matter that two libraries share the same acronym?!

Brooklyn uses BPL all over its site as well.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #365
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post

Speaking of BPL they now have check boxes for selecting format to download. This is a Overdrive!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #366
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I hadn't read much in a long time before I got my ereader, so I have been using the library very much as a discovery tool. That's why the difficulty with browsing now is so frustrating for me.
Exactly. I also get annoyed when it cuts off at 10 or 20 pages of new books added when they've added more than that...
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:42 PM   #367
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post

Whoever gets BPL as part of their URL gets the initials. In this case, Boston Public Library gets BPL and Brooklyn Public Library will need something different. That just how it is. If Brooklyn is using BPL, then they really need to fix their website.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #368
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Some small amount of my taxes go to pay an acquisitions librarian to balance popularity, subject matter coverage, and quality as indicated by book reviews and awards. Personally, I would rather he or she earn their salary rather than filling out order slips based on requests from the public.

If that makes me an elitist, I plead guilty.

Here's the Overdrive link for last book I finished (in paper, purchased for $3.80 used):

Vimy

I'd rate it high in quality, but, outside Canada, low in popularity. Therefore, probably does not make the cut.

This isn't to criticize people who take advantage of libraries that honor patron buy requests. If they are going to take requests, I guess yours is as good as the next person's.
Would you have a link to your library?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #369
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Exactly. I also get annoyed when it cuts off at 10 or 20 pages of new books added when they've added more than that...
The new design fixes this problem. If you click on "recently added," you can keep paging forever.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #370
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
I'm not sure what's wrong with both. An acquisitions librarian can look at the request from the patron and see if it works with his or her goals of popularity, subject matter coverage, and quality.

All I want is to know that the right person (the acquisitions librarian) is actually seeing my request.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #371
terendel
Enthusiast
terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Oasis 2
From TeleRead, going to email Mike @ Overdrive

I'm Juli Monroe, and I'm a writer for TeleRead. Dan asked me to cover this story, and I'm gathering information to send off an email to Mike as a "reporter from TeleRead." No promises that he'll listen to me, but I'll give it a go.

Sorry for taking so long to get to this. Dan emailed me right as I was leaving for a conference, and I just got back.

I've skimmed through the entire thread and played around with the new system at my library (Fairfax County), and I basically agree that the new interface isn't great.

I've made a list of what seemed like the biggest complaints from the thread. Did I get it right? Am I missing something? Has anything from this list been corrected?

1. General hate for thumbnail view and "squashed" book information.
2. Wish list page that allows easy removal, hold requests and checkout
3. Return to the bookbag
4. While browsing, easy links for accessing hold requests, wish lists, bookbag and item on loan
5. More visual indication of a book's availability, especially in what format (so you don't accidentally check out and audio version when what you really wanted was Kindle)
6. Fewer click-throughs! (I completely agree with this. I miss seeing how many library copies are available on my Hold page.)
7. Search for "Add to Cart" on the Wishlist
8. Confirmation that returning a book that you checked out by mistake won't lock your account for "suspicious activity" (Never ran across that one, and I've done several same day returns. Lucky me!)
9. "Available now" to Wishlist filters
10. Going back to the Holds list from checkout instead of being directed to the bookshelf

Does that cover most of it?

I'll keep you posted, and let you know when the story is published.
terendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #372
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Would you have a link to your library?
Why do you ask?

I live in Pennsylvania, where residents can join any library in the state. Google the libraries in most counties within about 50 miles of Philadelphia, and you will have the links. One or two don't let outsiders borrow eBooks, probably because they're ashamed to let people in the next county know how bad their collection is. True or false, that's how I'll look at it.

And, cheap as I am, Brooklyn Public Library has my $50 fee.

Sharing library cards with relatives is a nasty habit I wouldn't admit to if I did it, so any possibilities there need no mention.

I've long patronized a bunch of libraries, it's just that now, I rarely use gasoline getting to them. Global warming wasn't helped by the frequency with which my DW and I used to drive to the large Chester County Library in Exton.

Pennsylvania's best eBook collection is in Pittsburgh. Before the Overdrive era, I had their card, but it's long lost
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #373
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Sharing library cards with relatives is a nasty habit I wouldn't admit to if I did it, so any possibilities there need no mention.
Shame, shame...
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #374
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Why do you ask?

I was interested in what your aquisition librarian aquired.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #375
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by terendel View Post
I'm Juli Monroe, and I'm a writer for TeleRead. Dan asked me to cover this story, and I'm gathering information to send off an email to Mike as a "reporter from TeleRead." No promises that he'll listen to me, but I'll give it a go.

Sorry for taking so long to get to this. Dan emailed me right as I was leaving for a conference, and I just got back.

I've skimmed through the entire thread and played around with the new system at my library (Fairfax County), and I basically agree that the new interface isn't great.

I've made a list of what seemed like the biggest complaints from the thread. Did I get it right? Am I missing something? Has anything from this list been corrected?

1. General hate for thumbnail view and "squashed" book information.
2. Wish list page that allows easy removal, hold requests and checkout
3. Return to the bookbag
4. While browsing, easy links for accessing hold requests, wish lists, bookbag and item on loan
5. More visual indication of a book's availability, especially in what format (so you don't accidentally check out and audio version when what you really wanted was Kindle)
6. Fewer click-throughs! (I completely agree with this. I miss seeing how many library copies are available on my Hold page.)
7. Search for "Add to Cart" on the Wishlist
8. Confirmation that returning a book that you checked out by mistake won't lock your account for "suspicious activity" (Never ran across that one, and I've done several same day returns. Lucky me!)
9. "Available now" to Wishlist filters
10. Going back to the Holds list from checkout instead of being directed to the bookshelf

Does that cover most of it?

I'll keep you posted, and let you know when the story is published.
You've got my biggest complaints in your list.
The only other thing I can think of is to have the "remember me on this device" box default to unchecked. If somebody wants to be remembered, all they have to do is check it once and they're done. As it is, if I don't want to be remembered, I have to uncheck it every single time.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote