Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #31
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I nominated "crime" because I think it's not the same as "mystery". "Thriller" could probably be combined with either.
But it's no big deal to me if we somehow combine the three! Or not...
That's up to you since you nominated it. Crime is already fully nominated so if you want to leave it as is then you're good to go, but if you want to combine all our nominations into one Mystery/Thriller/Crime category then I'm fine with it.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #32
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
That's up to you since you nominated it. Crime is already fully nominated so if you want to leave it as is then you're good to go, but if you want to combine all our nominations into one Mystery/Thriller/Crime category then I'm fine with it.
I personally like this idea. I think Medard & Billi should have a say, though, since they have already supported "Crime".
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #33
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
With multiple voting it doesn't make a great difference as these two categories can't take away votes from each other. I am fine with Crime but actually had the little broader sense of Mystery/Thriller/Crime in mind.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #34
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Oh gee, this got complicated!
You know what, let's leave things the way they are for now.
There will be other months for this combo category, should we want it!
(I'm really not much into "mystery" myself.)

Last edited by Asawi; 12-15-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #35
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Oh gee, this got complicated!
You know what, let's leave things the way they are for now.
There will be other months for this combo category, should we want it!
(I'm really not much into "mystery" myself.)
Huh? So your nomination is for crime without any mystery? What is that? True crime?

Since I have no idea what you define crime as, I'll second sun surfer's combo category of Mystery/Thriller.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #36
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I personally like this idea. I think Medard & Billi should have a say, though, since they have already supported "Crime".
I only voted for crime to hide a bit that I'm the annoying philosophy guy.

So you can do what you like with crime and mystery. I'll read what you tell me to read.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #37
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Huh? So your nomination is for crime without any mystery? What is that? True crime?
Well, I thought they were the same as well until I understood from previous "mystery" months that the kind of crime novels I like (for example EdMcBain's 87th books from way back when) did not fit in there.

OK, I bow out and withdraw my "crime" nomination in favour of the crime/mystery/thriller combo!

Did I confuse things now?! I'm sure confused, but that's kind of nromal to me.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #38
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Well, I thought they were the same as well until I understood from previous "mystery" months that the kind of crime novels I like (for example EdMcBain's 87th books from way back when) did not fit in there.

OK, I bow out and withdraw my "crime" nomination in favour of the crime/mystery/thriller combo!

Did I confuse things now?! I'm sure confused, but that's kind of nromal to me.
Ah, well to confuse things more, I don't want you to feel like you should combine the nominations if you don't want to. If you like the idea of Crime in particular, then just leave it as is. It'll be in the vote then and can try its luck; you never know how it may do. Some of us just weren't sure what you meant by it at first since it was part of another category before. There's room in the vote for as many variations of a category as people want to nominate and there's no harm in it with multiple choice.

If Crime wins a month then consider the following point moot, but if it doesn't and Mystery/Thriller does, then I'd consider crime a part of Mystery/Thriller anyway so I think you could still nominate the crime books you like there. In my mind "Mystery/Thriller" is really short for Mystery/Thriller/Crime/Suspense since it's a combination of the two categories from last year.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #39
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Well, I'd prefer a non-fiction category anyway...
Old 12-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #40
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'll third Philosophy and Modern Fiction.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #41
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is this list a good representation of modern fiction?

Modern Fiction per GoodReads
Old 12-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #42
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Is this list a good representation of modern fiction?

Modern Fiction per GoodReads
Actually that's the Goodreads list for Popular Modern Fiction. What I was thinking of in nominating this is once more something sun surfer said when this first came up for the January category:

Quote:
Or is it supposed to be modern dramatic fiction; i.e. realistic plots, with no crazy sci-fi/fantasy or thrillers, etc.? Generally the category "modern fiction" I think would be taken in this way, being a way to describe newer books that don't fit into genre moulds, but I didn't want to assume. If I was sure it meant this I would've supported it.
Modern realistic dramatic fiction. Just looking at the first dozen or so books on that Goodreads list I see several that I would exclude.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #43
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Actually that's the Goodreads list for Popular Modern Fiction. What I was thinking of in nominating this is once more something sun surfer said when this first came up for the January category:

Modern realistic dramatic fiction. Just looking at the first dozen or so books on that Goodreads list I see several that I would exclude.
Please give an example of "good" vs "bad", using the list if possible.

I would, for instance, support The Help but am not interested in The Da Vinci Code.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #44
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
With multiple voting, I don't think there should be any combination of the genres.

Mystery and Thriller are two different types of stories. (I think that the Big Publishers link them for their own convenience, not for the readers'.)

I nominate Mystery.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #45
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm going to completely shock everyone and nominate Indie!

We're talking self-published, small vanity and independent publishing groups - no big six allowed etc..
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote