Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #331
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Yes, the voices for Edger and the other turtles are spot on. In fact, the only voice so far in any of the books I haven't been happy with is that of Jeeves. He's clearly described as having a "plummy" upper class voice, and really, the only way to play him is as his namesake. I realize none of these readers is Steven Fry, but something a bit closer would be better.

But a delightful series that I am thoroughly enjoying.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:46 AM   #332
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Finished Riptide by Preston & Child, I liked the concept Pirates and lost tresure and it got off to a great start but the last third kinda fell apart and bordered on the ridicules one of those could've been great novels.
I agree with you. I have read most of Preston & Child's books, but Riptide definitely isn't one of my favorites. Out of their stand-alones, only The Ice Limit was worse in my opinion. All in all, I prefer their Pendergast series.

As for my listening, I have started Bones of the Earth by Michael Swanwick yesterday and I am enjoying it very much so far.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #333
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Just as a note, Tea with the Black Dragon, an excellent book by R.A. MacAvory is on sale at audible for $1.98.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #334
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Just as a note, Tea with the Black Dragon, an excellent book by R.A. MacAvory is on sale at audible for $1.98.
Do you have a link?

I only see a $1.99 discounted audiobook with whispersync for voice when you buy the ebook, unfortunately I bought Tea with the Black Dragon at Kobo, so no discounted audiobook for me.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #335
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yes, the voices for Edger and the other turtles are spot on. In fact, the only voice so far in any of the books I haven't been happy with is that of Jeeves. He's clearly described as having a "plummy" upper class voice, and really, the only way to play him is as his namesake. I realize none of these readers is Steven Fry, but something a bit closer would be better.

But a delightful series that I am thoroughly enjoying.
I agree with your assessment of the voice of Jeeves - that one cries out for a proper, somber English butler's voice.

I'm currently listening to "Plan B" of the Liaden books (Sharon Lee & Steve Miller). I'm really appreciating how many subplots that book is juggling:

Clutch Turtles & Juntavas
Nova yos' Galan & Angela Lizardi
The Dutiful Passage
The Xtrang on Lytaxin
Nelerik Explorer's story
The Department of the Interior
Miri & Clan Erob
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #336
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm reading the last of the Liaden books, Dragon Ship. Sigh. They're about to be done, and there won't be a new one until Necessity's Child releases in February.

Next up on my listening list is probably the Amber series, by Zelazny. Though I also just bought a couple of the Phryne Fisher books using the Amazon WhisperSync deals to link eBooks and Audible books. I'm thoroughly enjoying reading these, so I'll probably give the Audible versions a try too.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #337
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Do you have a link?

I only see a $1.99 discounted audiobook with whispersync for voice when you buy the ebook, unfortunately I bought Tea with the Black Dragon at Kobo, so no discounted audiobook for me.
http://www.audible.com/search/ref=sr_lftbox_1_1

I bought it. I didn't see anything on the page requiring that you buy the ebook first, but I did buy the ebook a while back, and since amazon and audible are now tied together that may be what's happening.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #338
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
As for my listening, I have started Bones of the Earth by Michael Swanwick yesterday and I am enjoying it very much so far.
Finished it and loved it. You have to like time travel, though, sometimes the story just makes your head spin. The setting alternates between the future and the past and we get to see real, living dinosaurs.

I found Kevin Pariseau's performance very enjoyable, he made it easy for me to concentrate while listening.

Last night I started listening to a German recording of Bram Stoker's Dracula that has been sitting in my iTunes library for quite a while. I always found the beginning of the story very engaging, so the first two hours slipped by in no time.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #339
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Started listening to The Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny, read by Alessandro Juliani. This is the first book in the classic SFF Chronicles of Amber series that I read 40 years ago. My tastes for many things have changed greatly since then, but I'm already getting deeply into this book. It's well read, and the story is making me want to find an excuse to listen. Plus the world that Zelazny created for Amber is still compelling.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #340
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I loved those books. After reading them the first time, I bought the Great Book of Amber (books 1-10). The only problem is that it is a paper volume that is as big as a hardback and was hard to hold for so long when I reread it.

The audio version sounds good. Is it easy to keep track of what is going on? I know that I had to sometimes go back in the pages to keep some things straight.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #341
CRussel
(he/him/his)

The audio version is good, but it will be a bit of a challenge to keep everything straight. And sadly there are no eBook versions in North America. At least no legal ones that I've seen.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 AM   #342
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thanks, I guess, I will just stick with my paper version, as I do need to backtrack at times to keep things straight. I seem to remember information by placement, right or left side, top or bottom, and about how far back.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #343
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

I just finished Sign of the Unicorn. I've really been enjoying these books. They are well read and easy to follow. Each book is really pretty short compared to most books these days, probably because they were originally serialized in magazines.

I first ran into the Nine Princes of Amber as a serial in a SF magazine way back when. Yes, it does stink that there are no legal ebook versions of most of Zelazny's books. He's one of my favorite authors.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:08 AM   #344
Marrella
Cambrian crab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I loved those books. After reading them the first time, I bought the Great Book of Amber (books 1-10). The only problem is that it is a paper volume that is as big as a hardback and was hard to hold for so long when I reread it.
I also have this very same paper edition. I read the first four books, but still haven't got around to reading The Courts of Chaos. The book is just bulky and uncomfortable to read. I have been eying the audiobooks at Audible since they came out recently, I have the first one on my wish list. I might fall for it soon...
Old 11-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #345
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I have that giant pBook as well, but it's just too big and bulky to easily read. I looked for legitimate ebooks to supplement the audio books, but finally gave up and grabbed a set of them off the darknet.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations