Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
ylsul
Connoisseur
ylsul is on a distinguished road

Kindle 3 battery life

Hi,
I got my K3 on release day. Did a full charge when I got it (charged until the LED turned green). I installed 3 books, and then had two good reading sessions of maybe a few hours.

I pulled out my Kindle last night to show some friends, and discovered that the battery had drained. Is this normal?

Should I be turning off all the wireless functions? Even with them on, I had hoped that the battery would last longer than a week.

I'm charging it up again to see if it does the same thing this week.

-y
ylsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon
Battery Life of Up to One Month
A single charge lasts up to one month with wireless off. Keep wireless always on and go for up to 10 days without recharging.
It is up 10 days so if you're downloading a lot or its busy indexing a large number of books then it will drain the battery faster. From what you said, I'd expect slightly more though.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
ylsul
Connoisseur

aha! thanks so much. I feel loads better!
Old 09-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
You didn't mention whether you have the Wi-Fi or the 3G model. If you have the 3G model, leave wireless on, and are not connected to a wireless network, your battery life will be significantly reduced. This is because the 3G takes more power than Wi-Fi and 3G gets turned off when you are connected to a wireless network. The best battery life can be achieved by turning wireless off when not using it.

Amazon states the following battery life:
  • Kindle Wi-Fi and Kindle 3G, wireless off: 1 month
  • Kindle Wi-Fi, wireless on: 3 weeks
  • Kindle 3G, wireless on: 10 days

At any rate the battery life that you have experienced seems pretty short. If it doesn't improve after three charge sessions I would contact Kindle CS.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
ylsul
Connoisseur

Yeah, I should have read the manual! I've got the 3g/wifi version.
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Wireless off

I turn my wireless off when not in use and am leaving it in sleep mode.

I'll do this for a month and then try shut down mode for the next month.

That way I'll be able to tell if it makes a difference in the duration of the charge.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #7
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
I'm not sure the battery indicator is accurate, either. I left mine on the charger overnight, while indexing. In the morning, a quick search revealed no unindexed files. I read for 30 minutes and then emailed 3 small files from my computer to *@free.kindle.com. My battery indicator showed half capacity after they downloaded via WiFi. I stuck it back on the charger and 15 minutes later, the LED was green. I've decided to let it drain completely before the next recharge and then see what happens.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:01 AM   #8
Pastiden
Cornishman abroad
Pastiden began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Lightbulb Kindle 3 Battery Life Fix

I bought a kindle 3 wifi two weeks ago. Initially battery life looked okay (loaded 11 books and a newspaper). Kept wifi on and I read approx 2 hours/day. First recharge was after 7 days.
I then took a trip through Heathrow. Whilst in the BA lounge waiting for my flight I tried to connect through the free wifi. This locked up my Kindle (went to clear screen). After attempting a reboot (slide the on-off switch and hold in the on position for 20 seconds) the Kindle restarted but the battery lift from then was awful - 3 day from full charge to empty. When back at home this cycle continued for two more charges i.e. 3 days from full charge to empty. I was about to return the Kindle to Amazon but first recharged the device and fully rebooted it again (as above). Since then the battery life has been excellent - after three days the battery symbol is still showing full. I think that my Kindle must have got into a processing loop and hence discharged the battery ultra-quickly. The Kindle now seems fine.
So, if you are experiencing battery life issues, go for a full reboot and battery recharge before sending the Kindle 3 back to Amazon - good luck!
Pastiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #9
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
well, prime your battery a few times before making a few comparisons(charge, discharge almost fully, charge, discharge almost fully)

and keep in mind that its up to 1 month wireless/3G off... if you read 2 hours a day with only 50 page flips ,then you probably can last a month... if you read 6 hours a day with 300 page flips, then it won't...

my DX G is 1 week with wireless on, 2-3 off... i read a lot(5 hours a day, read a lot), keep wireless on half the time whilre web browsing, manage to squeeze 1 week out of my DX (have it for 4 weeks now6
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote