Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
adamb78
adamb78 doesn't litteradamb78 doesn't litter

How to Install the Sony Reader in Vista

Moderator note: After this posting, Sony released an official upgrade that should work fine with Vista. You should try out the upgrade first before applying any kinds of hacks. It's available here.

As many of you know, trying to install under Vista results in the Reader install software freaking out and rolling back at the last second.

It seems, though, that the application itself will run if the correct files are present under Program Files.

So I have made a little package/installer for Vista people:
http://rapidshare.com/files/15002628...files.zip.html

1. Extract the ZIP to your desktop and run the Install_Reader file.
2. Plug in your Reader. I believe Vista has some built-in drivers as it didn't prompt me. If it does prompt you, point to the driver under \program files\sony\connect reader\data\drivers.
3. Drag the shortcut "Connect Reader" from the extracted zip file onto your desktop so you can run the reader software (or you could put it in Programs or whatever).
4. After the driver is installed, open the Reader software...it should work as usual.
NOTE: If your program files folder isn't under c:\program files, this won't work.

For the technically curious, here is how it works:
1. The zip contains all the files copied by the sony installer to a normal computer. I got these by doing an "administrative install" of the msi using "msiexec -a".
2. The batch file copies these files to a folder in the root of the c: drive.
3. Then a separate batch file (copyfiles.bat) is executed using the psexec utility; this utility gives the batch file system priviledges which allow it to put things in the Program Files folder. This batch file copies the files from the root directory folder earlier created into \program files\sony and program files\common.

I haven't tried this on other computers, but it *should* work. Let me know...
adamb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Great first post, adam. I am still on XP, but you already got my thumbs up
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
Max Introvert
Max Introvert began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Are you using the 32 or 64-bit version of Vista, Adam?

The Sony Connect software won't install on my 64-bit XP, and given that it actually installs a driver for the reader at startup, I wouldn't expect it to work anyway.

I managed to get things going under a 32-bit XP VMware image, but if the rumored software update actually does address Vista compatibility, it would be nice to see this issue resolved.

(first poster also)
Max Introvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Talk about making an entrance! Good job, adamb78, and welcome to MobileRead!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One afterthought: at CES, Sony did say they'd be releasing a software/firmware update soon which would include Vista support. Given that there are a number of signs that the update is fairly imminent, those less hearty souls (who aren't quite sure they want to mess with a work-around) might want to wait a week or so and see if it materializes. When it does we'll probably all want to upgrade regardless, since it'll hopefully be a good bit stabler than the current incarnation.

All that being as it may, I don't mean to diminish what adamb78 has done, it's still an excellent bit of finagling, by any measure.
Advert
Old 02-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
adamb78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Introvert
Are you using the 32 or 64-bit version of Vista, Adam?
I'm using Vista 32 bit. 64-bit drivers would be required I think to get it working there. Hopefully with Vista support they will include 64-bit drivers, but there are many vendors that I've seen only provide x86 (32-bit) drivers.

I loaded 64-bit Vista first but then realized how many compatibility issues there are. I did a little research online and couldn't find any speed tests that showed that 64-bit would give me a substantial performance boost either. Something to consider.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
adamb78

Thanks everyone for the positive comments! I hope the workaround helps until the "official" update is out.

It is kind of funny in a way that it has taken them so long, as it appears that given the state of the application all they would need to do is replace their installer...which looks like just a generic one anyway. Theoretically this would only require a few minutes of time to do.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #8
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Anyone else think it's ridiculous how Sony, among many other very large companies, are basically caught with their pants down on Vista, despite the fact that there have been beta builds available for what, two years? How hard would it have been to be on the ball?
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Well, to be fair, Apple are in the same boat in that "iTunes" has Vista compatibility issues (at the level of corrupting the data on an iPod!), so Sony certainly aren't alone. That's the risk you take being an "early adopter" of an operating system, and why I'm going to wait at least a year before installing Vista.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Maybe they didn't expect M$ to make their release date on Vista?
Old 02-06-2007, 03:12 PM   #11
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
Anyone else think it's ridiculous how Sony, among many other very large companies, are basically caught with their pants down on Vista, despite the fact that there have been beta builds available for what, two years? How hard would it have been to be on the ball?
I'm afraid my view is a bit different. In my view Sony clearly expected the Sony Portable Reader to not be a success. I mean it was clearly impossible that the Librie failed simply because of their overly restrictive DRM policies right? So they didn't commit to build more than a few thousand for launch and spent several months playing catch up to demand.

The same kind of thing happens with software. You decide just how much to spend in pushing the development and stop. No one was worrying about Vista until the PRS proved itself. If Sony does indeed release Vista support this month I'm not going to criticism them but rather be quietly happy they moved as rapidly as they did.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:04 PM   #12
robert.a.dybas
robert.a.dybas began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-500
Thumbs up connect reader installation work around

On my XP Home main computer the connect software install would reset at 99%. dirty word.
I read somewhere in one of the threads that it did not like dual monitors. ^%$*

using the vista install message as a clue.

I copied the already updated software from a different xp machine that it did install on and updated ok, to the appropriate folders in "program files\common" "program files\sony".
the connect software would now run, but it did not recognize the reader plugged into a USB port.

after trying a few tricks, including going to the drivers folder under sony, right clicking on the ".inf" file and choosing install (this may be needed?) - the following worked.

1. right click on "my computer"
2. select properties
3. select the "hardware" tab
4. click on "device manager"
5. the sony reader device was listed with a "?" next to it
double click on it, choose reinstall driver
point it to the "C:\Program Files\Sony\CONNECT Reader\Data\drivers" folder
6. Click OK
close up everything.
started the "connect reader" and the reader was now there.

thanks for the vista install tip
r.a.d.
robert.a.dybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #13
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
That's odd... The installer worked fine on my machine (dual monitor setup as well). (EDIT: I was referring to the version that came with the reader)

For "posterity's sake" - when installing the CONNECT software under Vista, make sure you run the installer as administrator (right click, Run As Administrator).

Last edited by orcinus; 03-09-2007 at 06:15 PM.
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #14
pclewis
Enthusiast
pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Vista

I could not install 1.0 from the disk on Vista, but the download of 1.1 on the Sony website worked just fine.

Phil
pclewis is offline   Reply With Quote