Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Russny
Russny began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
New Nook User -- Questions about epub books and pdf files

Hi guys --

I just got a Nook several days ago, and I'm loving it. I've been downloading books from B&N with no issue so far (as would be expected), but I'm now trying to put other documents onto the device and I'm having some trouble.

I downloaded a Project Gutenberg ebook as an "epub" file, and I figured it would be a pretty straightforward process to read it on my Nook, but the file is all divided up on my computer into folders with html files, and I have no idea how to consolidate them and make them readable in the proper format. I tried dragging the files into the Nook (hoping they might just magically convert and open) but nothing appears on the device at all.

I also put some pdf files onto the device today, and noticed that many of the titles of the pdf files are changed to "untitled" after they transfer. Is anyone familiar with this issue, and if so, is there a way to fix it?

Thanks for everybody's help in advance.
Russny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russny View Post
Hi guys --

I just got a Nook several days ago, and I'm loving it. I've been downloading books from B&N with no issue so far (as would be expected), but I'm now trying to put other documents onto the device and I'm having some trouble.

I downloaded a Project Gutenberg ebook as an "epub" file, and I figured it would be a pretty straightforward process to read it on my Nook, but the file is all divided up on my computer into folders with html files, and I have no idea how to consolidate them and make them readable in the proper format. I tried dragging the files into the Nook (hoping they might just magically convert and open) but nothing appears on the device at all.

I also put some pdf files onto the device today, and noticed that many of the titles of the pdf files are changed to "untitled" after they transfer. Is anyone familiar with this issue, and if so, is there a way to fix it?

Thanks for everybody's help in advance.
Calibre should be able to 'create' an epub from that mess...

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
I'm wondering if you clicked the wrong format to download.

I don't have a nook, but and epub is an epub no matter what device it is on.

I downloaded about 30 epubs from PG (to replace .txt files of the same titles), and they all showed up as one epub file (each) on my computer hard drive as well as on the SD card on my reader.

I'm no expert, but if you have folders of html files, I don't think you downloaded an epub, although I am always willing to be corrected. Usually that's the only way I know my wife is listening to me, lol.

Last edited by eGeezer; 08-07-2010 at 06:15 PM.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
Kindle Addict
kindict
Kindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo, iPad, Nook
If the files are under folders labeled META-INF and OEBPS, you can use a utility called "ePub Zip" to package the files into an EPUB file. Just select the parent directory (the directory that contains the META-INF folder) and transfer the EPUB file to your Nook.
Kindle Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
Russny

Thanks for all of the quick responses. It looks like downloading calibre cleaned up the files and made them readable (though margins/paragraphs and stuff aren't great).

Strangely enough, I'm still having the issue of my pdf files losing their titles when I drag and drop them. Anybody have ny thoughts on this?

Thanks again!
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
The pdfs are probably losing their titles because the metadata fields on the pdf are not properly entered. The filename of the pdf is what shows up on your computer, but the nook will read the pdf metadata fields instead. You can import the pdf into Calibre, use Calibre to add the metadata (title and author name are usually sufficient) and then use Calibre to import your pdf into the nook.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
Russny

Thanks for the advice joykins ...will try it.