Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-11-2008, 07:40 AM   #46
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
OK -- it's on my calendar.

I'm dashing in to Houston tomorrow evening for a Friday morning meeting with a customer. My schedule calls for me to arrive at 10:15 pm Thursday night and fly out at 3pm on Friday -- weather permitting. One of the other Dallas folks is driving a rental car down instead of flying in, so we have a backup escape plan if flights are canceled on Friday.

If I don't forget, I'll call and book my room for the meet-up while I'm in town.
AAAHH! Elsi, you might want to reconsider. The computer models for hurricane Ike bring it over my house Friday night and this place is going to go absolutely nuts beginning at dawn (about ten minutes from now). Driving out may be highly questionable and I assume flights, too, of course. You couldn't just reschedule your trip for some time after the devastation is over and the National Guard has removed all the bodies?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:43 AM   #47
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
AAAHH! Elsi, you might want to reconsider. The computer models for hurricane Ike bring it over my house Friday night and this place is going to go absolutely nuts beginning at dawn (about ten minutes from now). Driving out may be highly questionable and I assume flights, too, of course. You couldn't just reschedule your trip for some time after the devastation is over and the National Guard has removed all the bodies?
That's certainly one option. I'm going to have to monitor the situation all day today and make a decision this evening when I get to Dallas whether or not I board the plane to Houston.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2008, 08:49 AM   #48
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
So that's where you live, VR!

I'm flying back to Tennessee in about 3 hours myself, and it's none too soon -- I'd suggest you stay the heck away from Houston for the next several days -- especially Friday. I was here for the Rita evac, it took us 20 hours to cover what would normally be a 4 hour drive, and that two days before that storm hit -- by Friday, you'd be trying to fly/drive out of here in the thing's very teeth. In fact, I'd be rather surprised if that flight to Houston even leaves Dallas.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #49
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
I'm just going to point out that the last time Wisconsin had a hurricane, the evacuees were all middle aged dinosaurs complaining about the lack of decent hotel rooms in Canada.

Just sayin'.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #50
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
In all seriousness, we ought to start thinking about a backup, in case Houston is hit too hard. I'm old enough to remember what Corpus Christi looked like after Celia hit it in 1972...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #51
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
In all seriousness, we ought to start thinking about a backup, in case Houston is hit too hard. I'm old enough to remember what Corpus Christi looked like after Celia hit it in 1972...
Nah. The Woodlands is 100 miles inland. If there are tornados, then there will be spotted damage that will be serious. But no widespread devastation there. Besides, if there is widespread devastation, I don't think the local attendees will be much concerned over where of if there's a meet-up in October. Right now, I'm more concerned about the real possibility that I'll see 100+ mph winds sending one of the three large trees in my front lawn into my house.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #52
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Nah. The Woodlands is 100 miles inland. If there are tornados, then there will be spotted damage that will be serious. But no widespread devastation there. Besides, if there is widespread devastation, I don't think the local attendees will be much concerned over where of if there's a meet-up in October. Right now, I'm more concerned about the real possibility that I'll see 100+ mph winds sending one of the three large trees in my front lawn into my house.
Nah ... measured it, it's only 70 miles inland. How-some-ever, I am also concerned about the possibility that you'll see a large tree in your living room on Friday.

Take care of yourself.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #53
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Nah ... measured it, it's only 70 miles inland. How-some-ever, I am also concerned about the possibility that you'll see a large tree in your living room on Friday.

Take care of yourself.
Thanks, Ricky. I have no worries. We'll be hunkered down in the closet under the stairs. Even if our house sustains severe damage, we'll be fine. I just hope those who might see a 15 to 20' water level surge take it seriously and leave now.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:16 PM   #54
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Well, it looks like American Airlines has made the decision for me. I'm scheduled to fly Raleigh -> DFW -> Houston tonight and the DFW -> Houston leg has been cancelled. I'm on the phone with AA right now to try to keep them from cancelling the Raleigh -> DFW reservation. (Airlines tend to do such to prevent you from being stranded only part of the way to your destination. But, given that I live in Dallas, I'm happy to be so stranded!)
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #55
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Thanks, Ricky. I have no worries. We'll be hunkered down in the closet under the stairs. Even if our house sustains severe damage, we'll be fine. I just hope those who might see a 15 to 20' water level surge take it seriously and leave now.
If you're sure. But, if you do need a place out of harm's way to escape to, you, family, and pets are always welcome here.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #56
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Thanks for your gracious offer, Ricky. That's very thoughtful of you. But after the incredible mass exodus from here before Rita in 2005 that ended up actually trapping many people here who might really have needed to leave, I simply couldn't imagine contributing to such a thing. As they say, run from the water and hide from the wind. We're in no danger of water so we'll simply hide.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #57
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Thanks for your gracious offer, Ricky. That's very thoughtful of you. But after the incredible mass exodus from here before Rita in 2005 that ended up actually trapping many people here who might really have needed to leave, I simply couldn't imagine contributing to such a thing. As they say, run from the water and hide from the wind. We're in no danger of water so we'll simply hide.
Never heard that one before, but it makes sense. Hide well, amigo.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:59 AM   #58
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Just a post to remind you of this meet-up in Houston on Saturday, October 4. See post #38 in this thread for details - all two of them. Bring your mobile reading gadgets if you have any, your questions and curiosities if you don't, and your selves with your humor (yes, please bring your humor, if you have any). But no steenking lemurs - Ike's been enough for us, thank you very much.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #59
psockpuppet
Lefty, Hugo, and me!
psockpuppet is faster than slow light.psockpuppet is faster than slow light.psockpuppet is faster than slow light.psockpuppet is faster than slow light.psockpuppet is faster than slow light.psockpuppet is faster than slow light.psockpuppet is faster than slow light.psockpuppet is faster than slow light.psockpuppet is faster than slow light.psockpuppet is faster than slow light.psockpuppet is faster than slow light.

Device: Guttenberg Bible
Quote:
Just a post to remind you of this meet-up in Houston on Saturday, October 4. See post #38 in this thread for details - all two of them. Bring your mobile reading gadgets if you have any, your questions and curiosities if you don't, and your selves with your humor (yes, please bring your humor, if you have any). But no steenking lemurs - Ike's been enough for us, thank you very much.
Hey!
psockpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:02 AM   #60
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
There he is! Grab the little bastich!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote