Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 11-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
wrburgess
wrburgess began at the beginning.

Device: none
Uploading PDFs to Kindle for PC/BN eReader

I have not yet purchased a mobile reader, but I'm on the verge. I was just trying out the Kindle for PC and BN eReader for PC viewers and I wanted to know how (or if) it may be possible to upload and read a PDF file to either viewer.

The Kindle for PC doesn't seem to allow any uploading of files and the BN eReader only seems to allow the uploading of PDB files.

Is PDF reading only a feature allowed with the actual Kindle or Nook devices or am I missing the feature that allows you to view PDF content that you did not purchase from Amazon or BN?
wrburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you need but since you're on a computer, why would you want to import a pdf into an ebook reading program rather than viewing it with Adobe Reader? You'd have much more flexibility with Adobe Reader.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
To upload to K4PC, you can put MobiPocket ebooks in My Documents\My Kindle Content. However, it only supports MOBI ebooks.

The Kindle for PC and the B&N PC Reader do not support PDF.

You can get an idea how PDFs will look on the Nook using the ebook viewer that is part of the Sony eBook Library. This is because both Sony and B&N use mobile Adobe Digital Editions for PDFs and ePubs. The actual reader will also have a landscape mode.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
wrburgess
wrburgess began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the reply, wallcraft.

I agree that just reading the PDF on my computer is fine...but I'm testing things out before I buy one of these readers. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'll be looking at, because I'm more inclined to buy "open" ebooks that I can move to other devices than proprietary ones. PDF fits that category better.
wrburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
starboyk
starboyk began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC, Kindle 2
Not to bump an old thread, but I did find this helpful. I am currently migrating FROM a Kindle 2 onto a tablet PC, as I find myself reading more comics and such these days. However, I didn't want to lose my places in all of the books I had on my Kindle.

Using this directory, I was able to copy all files from my device- including their respective azw extension, which carries the metacontent of locations and such.

Handy stuff!
starboyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
bn ereader, kindle for pc, pdf