Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
ne0rmatrix
Enthusiast
ne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: kobo Aura HD,Apple Ipad Mini,Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4,LG G4
kobo touch 1.9.11 problem and solution

Ok this is my firts post here. I recently upgraded to the new kobo touch in September and when i upgraded from 1.9.10 to 1.9.11 i started to have issues with third party epubs. The issue was i frequently tap to go forward a page and nothing would happen. i would then tap again and it would jump 2 pages ahead. I would then tap back a page and continue reading. I have over a thousand third party epubs and every ebook i opened that was not from kobo store had this issue.

I read about manually downgrading the firmware in this forum and thought i would give it a try as i had already tried a master reset on device. I then successfully downgraded the firmware to 1.9.10 and the problem dissapeared. I do not know if this issue is common or if anyone else has had this fix work. Any comments as to whether you have or had this issue and have or have not tried this solution and how effective it was for you would be appreciated.

Oh and i submitted a bug ticket to kobo help desk with this info. Have not had response yet but its only been 2 days so i hope they fix this or can reproduce problem.

Last edited by ne0rmatrix; 10-06-2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: addenum
ne0rmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
ne0rmatrix
Enthusiast
ne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Update: reset device. deleted content on sd card. Updated firmware to 1.9.11 from 1.9.10 and synced device with kobo library without sd card plugged in. Synced 3rd party epubs and was unable to reproduce issue i had before. Trying again with sd card in and library copied over. Will post more later about this.
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Double page turns were common with some prior software upgrades. I'm some times have that problem again with 1.9.11 .
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Other folks have posted about weird problems with external SD cards and 1.9.11.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
yeah, I think I've seen this since I got my KT as well, in late July - but I think the incidence rate is only maybe 1-2 times per hundred page turns? Pretty rough estimate, but its never been more than a slight annoyance, and I figured they'd get to it eventually
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I had the opposite situation with the double tap problem common with earlier firmware versions but when I upgraded from 1.9.10 to 1.9.11 the problem disappeared!

Since upgrading I have only had perhaps one or two suspected double taps in about 3 or 4 books (about 2000 page turns) - previously I would have had this problem every 5 to 10 pages.

I find it very confusing that upgrading to 1.9.11 seems to have fixed my issues but introduced the problem to ne0rmatrix?
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
ne0rmatrix
Enthusiast

Problem resolved: unable to reproduce issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne0rmatrix View Post
Update: reset device. deleted content on sd card. Updated firmware to 1.9.11 from 1.9.10 and synced device with kobo library without sd card plugged in. Synced 3rd party epubs and was unable to reproduce issue i had before. Trying again with sd card in and library copied over. Will post more later about this.
Ok after copying library to sd card and testing i found that issue has not ocurred even once. This issue happened every page turn or every 2nd page turn and was a real problem for me.

I bought my kobo touch on September 22nd and when i connected to laptop it updated to firmware 1.9.10 and then i copied my entire library from kobo wifi to it on sd card and had no issues.

When i upgraded to 1.9.11 i started having frequent page turn errors and some times the device would freeze while reading ebook. Oh and switching from ebook to homescreen took upto a minute.

So i read about downgrading and did it. This resolved the issue completely.

I then decided why not do a hard reset and upgrade firmware and then see if error was repeated. So since i had time and did not mind remaking all my bookmarks, something i had previously not wanted to have to do, i did the upgrade from virgin state, and then copied all 1,000 ebooks to sd card and checked a couple dozen for error. I was unable to reproduce error and switching ebooks was much faster.

I can only conclude the unique history of setup and upgrades led to these issues. I think maybe the ebook database was corrupted or such and the kobo was functional only because of the robustness of the device firmware. So to reiterate i believe the database had been damaged by user ineptitude and such and the device worked admirably in this case.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
billroop
billroop began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I would like to downgrade from Kobo 1.9.11 to 1.9.10. I don't have a copy of the 1.9.10 firmware and I don't know how to manually do the downgrade. I am tech savy, so I can do it if I can get a link to the directions and get a copy of the 1.9.10 firmware. Any help would be appreciated.
billroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
iJn
iJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by billroop View Post
I would like to downgrade from Kobo 1.9.11 to 1.9.10. I don't have a copy of the 1.9.10 firmware and I don't know how to manually do the downgrade. I am tech savy, so I can do it if I can get a link to the directions and get a copy of the 1.9.10 firmware. Any help would be appreciated.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=12
iJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...ade-1.9.10.zip

Back up your books. Do a factory reset to your Kobo. (There is a button to do so in the Device Information configuration screen.)

When the kobo is done restoring itself, extracts the contents of the zip file into the .kobo directory. Eject/Unmount the Kobo as usual and the update to 1.9.10 will be done immediately after.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #11
Popeto
Popeto began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO N647
Where to find KOBO software 1.9.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne0rmatrix View Post
Anybody to tell me where to find 1.9.11 ???

1. OK, I found it ! Then, how to proceed ??? Somebody said, I have to have a .kobo or something close on the Kobo itself (or on SD card?) and to copy there all the zip content, right ?

2. OK I just unziped all the ZIP file into the main KOBO memory. It seemed to update, in any case I had to change date and hour.
I sync with the KOBO desktop, it says is synched, BUT NOTHING INTO THE KOBO ! No any book on the screen, empty ! ...

Last edited by Popeto; 04-14-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Popeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:34 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@popeto: That sounds like a common problem the WiFi has had with the last update or two. The update seems to work, but it doesn't show any books and nothing is shown when connect to the PC. This is a problem Kobo know about and people have talked to them and received a replacement device. The alternative is to write a new image to the internal SD card. We can supply an image, but you need to open the ereader and pull the internal SD card out and mount it in a PC to write the image.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:08 AM   #13
Popeto
Popeto began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO N647
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@popeto: That sounds like a common problem the WiFi has had with the last update or two. The update seems to work, but it doesn't show any books and nothing is shown when connect to the PC. This is a problem Kobo know about and people have talked to them and received a replacement device. The alternative is to write a new image to the internal SD card. We can supply an image, but you need to open the ereader and pull the internal SD card out and mount it in a PC to write the image.
OK DavidFor, I will open it. Now the question is - should I flash the card with the same 1.9.11 If we consider that the update isnMt done correctly, or have I to backgrade to another older software. In other words - what exactly is the reason of the actual situation : wrong update not coresponding to the hardware but suggested and executed by KOBO, or rather a screwed update ? In any case, please advice with the proper software and procedure.

Thank you very, very much!
Orline
Popeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:43 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeto View Post
OK DavidFor, I will open it. Now the question is - should I flash the card with the same 1.9.11 If we consider that the update isnMt done correctly, or have I to backgrade to another older software. In other words - what exactly is the reason of the actual situation : wrong update not coresponding to the hardware but suggested and executed by KOBO, or rather a screwed update ? In any case, please advice with the proper software and procedure.
No, you need a new image for the card. This isn't the same as the firmware package that is used to upgrade the device. The image I have was taken from a working WiFi just after a factory reset was done. Putting it on a non-working device like yours usually fixes things.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware 1.9.10, firmware 1.9.11, firmware downgrade, kobo touch