View Poll Results: Format: How important is knowing the format before purchase
not important, don't care 7 4.07%
good to know, but not necessary 15 8.72%
absolutely important, want to know 150 87.21%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2013, 03:04 AM   #31
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchkitten View Post
Heaven is Paved with Oreos only comes as a kepub.
if so, than kobo is cheating.

Quote:
Read this on:
eReading Devices

Quote:
eReading Devices

You can read this item on your Kobo eReader (or other select electronic reading devices). The Kobo eReader lets you carry your whole library with you, so that you can read on the go. Check out our demo for more information!
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...1&d=1379487846
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo_screenshot.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	111400  
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:37 AM   #32
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, but if heaven is paved with some sort of biscuit, it's going to be Tim Tams
Yummmmo ..... see you there
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:13 AM   #33
Seraphine
Nameless Being

Prior to this week, I fully trusted ebook vendors to provide me with the most logical format; EPUB in Kobo, MOBI in Amazon, et cetera. I didn't pay it much mind - until, as I've recently posted about, I purchased a book which (despite having numerous devices listed) I cannot download as an Adobe-encrypted EPUB. This book is useless to me, and I paid about $12 for it. Due to Kobo's sub-par customer service, I cannot see myself progressing very far with a request for a refund. I care about format disclosure; I care about my wallet.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:20 AM   #34
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seraphine I've now asked Kobo to give me the epub version of the O'Reilly book I bought on Sunday, and they issued me in kepub format.

See if they'll give you the epub format.

BTW I haven't had a response back re that request which I sent a good 36 hours ago.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:27 AM   #35
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Although I think knowing the format before the purchase should be common sense and expected from every seller, I would like to point that of the about 80 ebooks that I've bought at Kobo *all of them* came as epub as well as kepub. The epub file being downloaded with ADE or directly from other web sites if it's DRM-free.

However it seems like many people have experienced trouble recently, ending up with only a kepub ebook. Could that be related to the transition to the new web site? Something like an issue with the database? Because I can't remember that many issues being reporter here before.
Anyway, I hope that Kobo will get their act together soon so we can go back to shopping without having to worry about technicalities.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:31 AM   #36
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
The format is very important to me, and until yesterday I was getting the old format Kobo website, using Opera. Today it has changed, so I am no longer able to determine the format before buying. So no more buying from Kobo until it's fixed. Despite the 50% coupon.

Although I may have a (temporary?) fix. The NZ Whitcoulls ebook site is presumably still derived from the Kobo site, and it shows the formats available, but only for ebooks available in NZ. http://www.whitcoulls.co.nz/ebooks/ebooks/45/

Does Kobo have resellers in other countries with their own websites?

Alternatively, IE9 is still showing the old Kobo web format. At least for the time being.

[correction: IE9 is showing a mix of old and new web format. In search results and in book descriptions some books show download format, others do not. For example searching for Gasston, Peter Gasston's book CSS3 shows epub format, but his The Modern Web does not show any format. And Whitcoulls only shows the CSS3 book. Aaaargh!]

Last edited by artig; 09-18-2013 at 04:46 AM. Reason: more info on IE9
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #37
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Knowing the format is absolutely necessary. I only buy EPUBs; the only exception is when I buy an AZW3 at Amazon, if they are either the only ones to have the book, or are so much cheaper than any EPUB seller that it would be robbing my own wallet to buy the book somewhere else.

If I cannot know beforehand if I'm going to get an EPUB, KEPUB or PDF, then I don't buy anything.

EDIT: Weirdness. If you go to the "Free eBook" section, it actually says:

"Add to library"
"Adobe DRM EPUB" or "Download EPUB"

If I select a book that needs to be bought, it doesn't display the format.

So what's so difficult in getting this feature up and running? They just need to make all of their books free, and we can see the format.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-18-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #38
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

I've been wondering if this thread should be in the General Sub-section because it seems to me that knowing what the format of an ebook is prior to purchase is relevant to all purchasers of ebooks (and not just Kobo)

However, a reason for keeping this thread in the Kobo device sub-forum is that Kobo reps who come a wandering are more than not likely to come across it, whereas in the General Section they wouldn't realise such a thread/poll was taking place because of their decision to remove format and DRM info from their latest website update.

What do you think?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #39
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Keep it in this subforum. AFAIK, it's an issue only for Kobo, at this time.

All other vendors I know of only supply EPUB, or clearly state if it is a PDF. Amazon only provides MOBI or AZW3 (depending on how old the book is, I think), both intended solely for the Kindle. Both can be readily converted to EPUB after de-DRM-ing.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:26 AM   #40
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
I've been wondering if this thread should be in the General Sub-section because it seems to me that knowing what the format of an ebook is prior to purchase is relevant to all purchasers of ebooks (and not just Kobo)
What do you think?
You may also want to look at the posting guidelines for the site. There is a lot of good information regarding where to post, the MR positions on duplicate postings etc. It's against the rules to publicly call someone out on posting "violations". Mods take care of it when it happens.

Last edited by taming; 09-18-2013 at 07:28 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #41
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Look at this book:
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Lord-...PXQ/page1.html

Can you see:

Quote:
Download options: Adobe DRM EPUB
On the "eBook Information"?? If so maybe you just have too look if there's written this text.
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #42
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy2 View Post
Look at this book:
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Lord-...PXQ/page1.html

Can you see:

On the "eBook Information"?? If so maybe you just have too look if there's written this text.
Huh.... I've been checking some books, and that text is there with all of them.

Has it been there all along, with nobody noticing (can't believe it), or has it been added recently?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #43
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It has not been there, and still isn't, on the US or Canadian sites. Maybe they are trying it out in the Netherlands first. Stranger things have happened. I've been writing to Kobo web team folks for awhile about this, and a few days ago (before this poll was established) one of the folks I was conversing with mentioned that I was not the only one complaining about it .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #44
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Huh.... I've been checking some books, and that text is there with all of them.

Has it been there all along, with nobody noticing (can't believe it), or has it been added recently?
It's not available on the UK site.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #45
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
It's not available on the UK site.
Indeed. The UK site is completely different (and 4% more expensive). For one book, it actually says: "Preview is already in your library". It's not. I've deleted it yesterday, and it's not in the trash either.

edit: I've set my country to the US. The series of 5 books I bought a few days ago, are much more expensive there: $12.99 (€9.75), compared to €4.95 - 5.80, without the promo code.

Another series is cheaper in the US however: $6.59 (€4.95) compared to €6.04, also without the promo code. Using the promo code brings those books down to $3.29 / €2.54 in the US. This makes them 58% cheaper compared to buying them in The Netherlands without a promo code. (Something which almost every "normal" person would do...)

Pity that Kobo does not have two books in that last series. It started as a trilogy, but was later expanded to a quintet. Fortunately, FeedBooks.com has those for €4.50. That's still cheaper than the regular Kobo US price (by about $0.69).

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-18-2013 at 08:24 AM.