Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-31-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
kang
kang began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505 | Ipod Touch 2G
Amazing place!

I got my 505 when I was in the United States, (a gift from the better half) but have not been using it too much due to some features I'm not too happy about; notably, the slow loading of pages and the small font size of PDF files.

Funny how I was trying to find somewhere to list my Sony Reader for sale when I stumbled upon this forum.

Now I'm putting the sale of my reader on hold; looking forward to find out if the seemingly-wonderful posts here manage to make me love the reader all over again
kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
The trick is ... avoid PDF files. I understand that the new firmware (in conjunction with Adobe DE) will give you some capability to reflow PDF documents. But the screen shots I've seen indicate that it's not really satisfactory.

Instead, get yourself some books in the Sony native BBeB format. There are well over 1000 of those here at MobileRead, free for the downloading. Also, with certain book creation tools such as calibre, you can convert books from other formats to the BBeB format for your Sony Reader.

Oh yeah! I guess I should also welcome you to MobileRead. It's a nice place to hang out and you should find lots of help from the smart folks.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
Hey Kang

I love my beautiful blue 505 I have some books in PDF now that ADE is supported, but I prefer to buy them in Microsoft Reader format and convert them.

I hope that you manage to get some good reading in and then there will be no way that you want to sell it. Mine comes everywhere with me I even bought a new handbag at the weekend to fit the reader LOL

Dawn
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Kang--Glad you found this place! Hopefully it'll help you enjoy your reader much more.

I know that it's been a tremendous help for me! I've learned so much from here about converting books, etc--and have read several of the books that a lot of people have taken incredible amounts of time to convert to the Sony Format.

Like Elsi says--avoid PDF if at all possible. Now with the new firmware, I have downloaded a few Adobe Digital Edition books from my library and have read them on my 505. Since these are free, I'm not complaining because they are readable, but I wouldn't want to pay for them. Books formatted in the Sony LRF format work much better on the reader.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:40 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
PDF is not an eBook format. Avoid it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:15 AM   #6
kang

And within a few hours of my post, I have replies!

Ah.. I'm an internet marketer so I plan to use the reader to
read short reports mainly.

Which are ALL in PDF format.

Ah well, I've just downloaded the font-changing guide and
the calibre; I'm in school now, so I will play around with my
reader and the new softwares when I get back home
tonight.

Look forward to learning a ton about my reader from you
smart folks.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:06 AM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Also, update your reader to the V1.1 firmware & re-try the PDF reports, as when you change size with the new firmware, it will reflow the text. You know about holding the size button to toggle portrait/landscape?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kang View Post
I've just downloaded the font-changing guide
That guide won't help you with PDF files. Fonts (and well, everything else) in a PDF file are hardcoded into the document. No matter what you do to the Reader, it will always display fonts in a PDF file the way they were saved with the file.

Like HarryT has correctly noted several times now (and I agree, we should do more to drill this into peoples heads), PDF is not an e-book format.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #9
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
I don't like and have rejected PDFs from the beginning, but if you make the PDFs yourself for the Reader, say from a .doc, they happen to turn pages and keep the editing faster and better than LRFs. My humble experience.

Hi Kang, Welcome.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
That guide won't help you with PDF files. Fonts (and well, everything else) in a PDF file are hardcoded into the document. No matter what you do to the Reader, it will always display fonts in a PDF file the way they were saved with the file.

Like HarryT has correctly noted several times now (and I agree, we should do more to drill this into peoples heads), PDF is not an e-book format.
I did just realize myself that the guide doesn't have anything to do with PDF files.

Ahh.. It's not an ebook format I understand, but it is a format I read ALOT of.

Is it possible to convert the .pdf file to a format to one that is more easily readable?

gwynevans, I think I probably sound like a noob, but I only just updated my firmware following your advice, and MAN, what a huge difference it makes!

The page-turning is still kinda too slow for my hyperactive brain and eyes, but the words are much bigger now; I love it!

Now, if only I could make the page-turn faster..
Old 09-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #11
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kang View Post
Is it possible to convert the .pdf file to a format to one that is more easily readable?
Take a look at the stickies in this section of the forums, you can find a lot of programs designed to deal with PDF's (from cropping to converting).

Personally, I would suggest Book Designer because it gives you the most control (you use it for manual editing). Or you can try some of the other fine automatic conversion tools.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote