Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
shmish
shmish began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
why such a big price discrepancy?

I'm interested in Richard Dawkins' new book, The Greatest Show On Earth. So I checked out Kobo and their price was $27. This is easily the most expensive ebook I've seen, not that I've seen tons. B&N doesn't carry it but Amazon does. They sell it for $12. I expect Kobo to be a few $$ more because of the exchange rate and duties, but twice as expensive? This seems very unusual to me. What are some explanations for it?

thanks!
shmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:47 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmish View Post
I'm interested in Richard Dawkins' new book, The Greatest Show On Earth. So I checked out Kobo and their price was $27. This is easily the most expensive ebook I've seen, not that I've seen tons. B&N doesn't carry it but Amazon does. They sell it for $12. I expect Kobo to be a few $$ more because of the exchange rate and duties, but twice as expensive? This seems very unusual to me. What are some explanations for it?

thanks!
The easiest explanation: Analysts state, Amazon is loosing money on most eBooks. Most likely explanation: Market domination.
Another explanation would be size of business.
Another explanation would be additional revenues for Amazon via Kindle sales.

There are various sites to compare prices, for example http://inkmesh.com/
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 03:13 AM   #3
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Simple: Amazon is discounting the title heavily from the digital list price ($30) to the not-standard-for-very-much-longer Kindle bestseller price of $9.99. Kobo isn't discounting it as heavily (it's showing there at $17.99 right now). Cyberrread, Fictionwise, Lulu, and eBooks.com aren't discounting it at all, and selling it for the list price of $30. Other stores are somewhere in-between.

Welcome to the perfectly clear, always logical world of e-book pricing.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoz View Post

Welcome to the perfectly clear, always logical world of e-book pricing.
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote