Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: What price you agree to pay for upgrade to Sony PRS-700 in case if Sony will offer it
$200 10 7.87%
$100 34 26.77%
$0 - I don't want to upgrade it. 83 65.35%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #46
Trek
Trek doesn't litterTrek doesn't litterTrek doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505
Option 0 for me. I wouldn't "upgrade" my 505 for a 700 even if Sony would pay for it. That 700 screen blows chunks.

Now, some people are ok with that because it's faster,better,stronger in other regards. That argument just doesn't work for me. I'm using the device for everyday, leisure reading. No fast-flipping through pages, no annotations. I only get to see the menus when I'm done with one book and moving to the next. It's rare enough that I hardly care whether I'm pressing buttons or using direct screen touch. I'm comfortably doing the planning and generation of book collections on the PC.

Unlike the menus, I very much care about the display and text quality. That's what I'm staring at 99.9% of the time. It's old-fashioned, no-frills, basic reading. And the 505 is a joy for that.

Would I like a faster 505? Sure. Would I trade the 505 for a 700? No way.

Last edited by Trek; 12-08-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:53 AM   #47
Hucairz
Hucairz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Andriod M001 Tablet, Navman ICN520 PDA
I'm still very happy with my 505 and won't be upgrading to a 700 anytime soon.

I previously read on a touch screen PDA and seemed to spend way too much time cleaning the display to remove the fingerprints so that I could see to read!

I'm happy with the sony menus and button placement on the 505 - I just wish it was a bit quicker at initial load; it seems to take forever to resync every time I add more books.
Hucairz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2008, 03:48 AM   #48
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
I voted that I wouldn't upgrade. I'm very happy with my 505.

Can someone tell me if Sony is going to continue making the 505, or are they now going to phase it out and only build the 700?

(If so, I think I'll buy another 505 and store it away as a replacement for when my current one dies).
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #49
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
I voted that I wouldn't upgrade. I'm very happy with my 505.

Can someone tell me if Sony is going to continue making the 505, or are they now going to phase it out and only build the 700?

(If so, I think I'll buy another 505 and store it away as a replacement for when my current one dies).
According to Sony the 700 is not a replacement for the 505. They intend to sell both.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #50
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
According to Sony the 700 is not a replacement for the 505. They intend to sell both.

Dale
My opinion they will discontinue 505 model soon
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #51
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
My opinion they will discontinue 505 model soon
On what evidence?

I'm curious. The 505 is the only Sony model available in the UK and Europe, so I think your claim is improbable, particularly as Sony has said that the 505 will continue as the standard entry model.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #52
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Sell both for now.... but as always, the older model will get dropped.

more details on the Sony reader's here
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #53
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Server View Post
Sell both for now.... but as always, the older model will get dropped.

more details on the Sony reader's here
Why, does sony only sell one model TV? I think the future is toward multiple models at different price points from one company.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #54
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
On what evidence?

I'm curious. The 505 is the only Sony model available in the UK and Europe, so I think your claim is improbable, particularly as Sony has said that the 505 will continue as the standard entry model.
The main reason - they will get more profit to sell more expensive model
Old 12-11-2008, 05:51 PM   #55
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Not if they end up selling fewer - and the higher price will deter some buyers.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #56
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Not if they end up selling fewer - and the higher price will deter some buyers.
They can keep the same price that Kindle for 700 model and people will buy it. In case if they will have 2 models many potential buyers will buy cheaper model that will be much less profitable
Old 12-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #57
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
It also depends on what their production cost is on each. They might make less on the 700, or the same as the 505.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #58
Aurora W
Addict
Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950, iPad, Nexus 7
Voted No. 3.

I'm quite happy with my 505 - it does what I want, and lighting for me is not really an issue. And the lighting on the 700 didn't really impress me anyways.

If WiFi (or Bluetooth) capability was included, I would probably consider upgrading.
Aurora W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:28 PM   #59
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora W View Post
Voted No. 3.

I'm quite happy with my 505 - it does what I want, and lighting for me is not really an issue. And the lighting on the 700 didn't really impress me anyways.

If WiFi (or Bluetooth) capability was included, I would probably consider upgrading.
yes, 71.43% responders share your opinion here as well
Old 12-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #60
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
It also depends on what their production cost is on each. They might make less on the 700, or the same as the 505.

-MJ
I guess the production cost of both models almost the same