Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #31
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Got something wrong with my rooted NC. It just keeps cycling through the bootup where is says Nook Color with the flashing colors then back to nook color. None of the bottons seem to have any effect. To be on the safe side I charged it with the official wall plug until it was completely charged.

Anyone got any ideas what to do. I miss having a reset hole that you use a paper clip with.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #32
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Hey, Slayda, once you did the initial "put the SD card w/image into the NC, and then plug it in, and it will eventually reboot," did you by chance leave the SD card in the device? I do know that every time one boots up the device with the SD card w/image on it that it will attempt to re-root the device.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #33
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
No, I took it out & was happily adding apps to the rooted NC, learning about ADW launcher, added some (known to work) apps from the market & then the buttons started acting flaky after it would go to sleep. Finally appeared to go mostly through an update but never got to the green "n". That's when it started cycling. Comes up where it spells out "nook color", "nook" goes away & the "color flashes below the big "n" & then starts over.

I had a blank SD card in & took it out, thinking that it might have had some effect but same-old-same-old cycling.

Since I can't stop it, I guess I'll let the battery drain & then recharge it to see what happens.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #34
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
No, I took it out & was happily adding apps to the rooted NC, learning about ADW launcher & the buttons started acting flaky after it would go to sleep. Finally appeared to go mostly through an update but never got to the green "n". That's when it started cycling. Comes up where it spells out "nook color", "nook" goes away & the "color flashes below the big "n" & then starts over.

I had a blank SD card in & took it out, thinking that it might have had some effect but same-old-same-old cycling.

Since I can't stop it, I guess I'll let the battery drain & then recharge it to see what happens.
Goodness

You may have to do this:

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Fix_Boot_Loops
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #35
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
That's not very consumer friendly. Wow!

Quote:
mkdir /mnt/rom
mount /dev/mmcblk1p2 /mnt/rom
echo -n -e "\x08\x00\x00\x00" > /mnt/rom/devconf/BootCnt
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #36
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
That's not very consumer friendly. Wow!
Maybe not for the average consumer, but any linux user would know those simple commands.

Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #37
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
.... I miss having a reset hole that you use a paper clip with.
No kidding!

Slayda, I'll apologize for the folks entering the thread that don't seem to have anything positive to add to help get you going again.

I'll keep looking around to see if I can find anything helpful beyond what Scion has already mentioned. I can tell you that my first rooting experience wasn't very clean, but the next two that I performed went much smoother.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #38
mcshess
mcshess began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook (rooted)
I have successfully rooted my NC - YEAH. but I was trying to follow the instructions on preventing the auto download. I am stuck on step 1 - installing ADB. I am on windows 7 and am assuming I need to download ADB software from somewhere on my PC, but where do I get it and where do I find step by step instructions on how to use it for the color nook?
mcshess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:19 PM   #39
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcshess View Post
I have successfully rooted my NC - YEAH. but I was trying to follow the instructions on preventing the auto download. I am stuck on step 1 - installing ADB. I am on windows 7 and am assuming I need to download ADB software from somewhere on my PC, but where do I get it and where do I find step by step instructions on how to use it for the color nook?

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB

Scroll down to

Windows XP, Vista and 7

I. Download and install the Android SDK

1. Download the latest Android SDK (android-sdk_r08-windows.zip) and extract the zip file to C:\
Old 12-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #40
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Note: I selected to install all modules in the SDK install, and that took a while to download/install all of it.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #41
SCION
Séduisant

@ Slayda

Maybe this will work:

To do a factory reset on the NC you need to force your reboot counter to hit 8.
Nook screen while re-flashing

You can power off the nook, and then interrupt the boot process by holding down the power button eight times

Or try this:

Hold down the power button, the "n" and the volume down button at the same time
Old 12-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #42
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

That's basically starting the rooting process again from scratch ...
Old 12-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #43
SCION
Séduisant

Yeah, doubt Slayda will be able to recover. Something got corrupted.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #44
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
My experience rooting:

So I rooted my NC yesterday, by first installing the 1.01 updating and then using the latest autonooter method. All went well, except that when I first got through the "welcome" screen with the android and back to the homepage none of the soft buttons worked so before I could do the entire YouTube sign-on, etc. I had to hard boot to finish the job.

Yesterday went well, except that Google Books kept force-closing so I uninstalled it. I installed a few launcher replacements to try them (Zeam, ADW Launcher, LauncherPro), and decided I might just stick with SoftKeys instead. I uninstalled Zeam and LauncherPro and thought I'd make SoftKeys my default home before I uninstalled ADW. However, when I tried to do that it stuck on the "choose your home" popup. I hardbooted again and then--gasp!--it got stuck in the bootup screen with colored "NOOK." I hardbooted a few times again to no avail.

So, after some research I did the 8X thing and then the deregistering wipe to start all over. This morning I reinstalled 1.01, used the same MicroSD card (figuring it should work again) and reinstalled the autonooter thing on my NC.

Again when I got to the homescreen the soft buttons didn't work so I had to hard boot to finish the YouTube log-in process.

I might forgo a home launcher this time and see how it goes.
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #45
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegS View Post
My experience rooting:

So I rooted my NC yesterday, by first installing the 1.01 updating and then using the latest autonooter method. All went well, except that when I first got through the "welcome" screen with the android and back to the homepage none of the soft buttons worked so before I could do the entire YouTube sign-on, etc. I had to hard boot to finish the job.

Yesterday went well, except that Google Books kept force-closing so I uninstalled it. I installed a few launcher replacements to try them (Zeam, ADW Launcher, LauncherPro), and decided I might just stick with SoftKeys instead. I uninstalled Zeam and LauncherPro and thought I'd make SoftKeys my default home before I uninstalled ADW. However, when I tried to do that it stuck on the "choose your home" popup. I hardbooted again and then--gasp!--it got stuck in the bootup screen with colored "NOOK." I hardbooted a few times again to no avail.

So, after some research I did the 8X thing and then the deregistering wipe to start all over. This morning I reinstalled 1.01, used the same MicroSD card (figuring it should work again) and reinstalled the autonooter thing on my NC.

Again when I got to the homescreen the soft buttons didn't work so I had to hard boot to finish the YouTube log-in process.

I might forgo a home launcher this time and see how it goes.
After you root you need to make certain the core functionality is there. Meaning all things Google related need to work. Once you confirm this, then you can proceed to installing other things including a launcher, etc.

After rooting you should not be encountering any difficulty. If you get stock during the root process that's an immediate red flag that something is wrong. You need to immediately stop in your tracks and boot from the image again. Starting the process over and continue to follow the steps to the letter.

Google Books not working is another red flag. That should work if the root was done successfully.