Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: none/all/any
Comments In XHTML?

Can I add comments – /* Comment here.*/ – in my XHTML files?
No problem in the CSS files.
Thanks - Fabe
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

In xhtml the correct syntax for a comment is:

<!-- This comment is invisible to visitors. -->
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabe View Post
Can I add comments – /* Comment here.*/ – in my XHTML files?
No problem in the CSS files.
Thanks - Fabe
Some Comments (above style) in the CSS *Do* cause problems on my Astak PEz (Astak,Lbook,BeBook FW)

They work OK in Calibre, Sigil and EPUBReader , but my reader ignores the Style attributes when present.

I have not 100% nailed down the conditions where they cause the problem because it does not always happen
Removing the Commented line, cures the problem (Sigil's editor and Notepad++ colour them as comments )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: none/all/any
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
In xhtml the correct syntax for a comment is:
<!-- This comment is invisible to visitors. -->
Of course! Computer languages are like remembering which guest is vegetarian and which is kosher.
Thanks for reminding me. - Fabe
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Some Comments (above style) in the CSS *Do* cause problems on my Astak PEz (Astak,Lbook,BeBook FW)

They work OK in Calibre, Sigil and EPUBReader , but my reader ignores the Style attributes when present.

I have not 100% nailed down the conditions where they cause the problem because it does not always happen
Removing the Commented line, cures the problem (Sigil's editor and Notepad++ colour them as comments )
Crap. I use that all the time in my "house" CSS. Works in iPad, iPhone, iBooks; Kindle (converted, obviously, from Sigil-generated or hand-generated ePUB); Nook; Kobo.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Crap. I use that all the time in my "house" CSS. Works in iPad, iPhone, iBooks; Kindle (converted, obviously, from Sigil-generated or hand-generated ePUB); Nook; Kobo.

Hitch
You summed it up.

I was documenting others CSS I was tweaking (there are some extremely messy (style sheeted) books out there).
They style every thing. When are they gonna learn. Set A basic P style, the style the EXCEPTIONS, inheriting the basics
The style sheet ends up a few dozen lines and the book loads FAST.

The good thing, is not all comments mess it up, so TEST on a few devices, Not made for the Gorillas in the industry
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:25 AM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You summed it up.

I was documenting others CSS I was tweaking (there are some extremely messy (style sheeted) books out there).
They style every thing. When are they gonna learn. Set A basic P style, the style the EXCEPTIONS, inheriting the basics
The style sheet ends up a few dozen lines and the book loads FAST.

The good thing, is not all comments mess it up, so TEST on a few devices, Not made for the Gorillas in the industry
Ducky:

I only have about 30-40 lines of CSS; but I do use commenting to keep it easy to read. One main p style; one for non-indented paras; headers; images. That's pretty much it, but my fu is pretty ePUB-standard (yeah, yeah, I know those video tags aren't ePUB 1.05 compliant, but, gimme a break! Blame Apple.); it's a little unfair to expect those of us slogging along making a living at this to have to code every book for EVERY reader, particularly if they're not industry-standard-compliant, y'know? (And you'll pry those dropcaps from my cold dead hands...)

It's bad enough I have to juggle around svg's and xpgts for ADE with everything else; having to de-comment my CSS is just pushing a chain up a hill. Hell, I struggle with that crap as it IS; if I remove the comments, I'm probably hosed.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote