Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
WombatSnoozes
WombatSnoozes began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Adobe Digital Editions Vs Kobo - kobo losing :(

Basically I think Adobe is ruining my week.

I'm Running off a PC (XP) with latest software updates.
Kobo software is uptodate, Calibre ditto

Installed Adobe Digital Editions after picking up some books at good prices from Books On Board.

Downloaded ascm files for epubs and a couple of PDFs. They seemed to transfer just fine to Digital editions - at least, they show up in the library list.

When I attempted to copy to the kobo it seemed to work (they showed up in the main directory file) but weren't readable... they don't even show up listed in the kobo library.

Trying again I got 'E_IO_CANNOT_OPEN' error message. I can't find any reference to what this is on the web. Ideas, anyone?

Note 1: The PDFs are readable in Adobe. (Also readable in calibre). MOST epubs only show table of contents and cover - not sure if this is related somehow?

Note 2: I keep getting 'delayed write failed' messages - I'm assuming this is related somehow?

Note 3: The only reason Adobe is installed is so I can read the DRM-locked stuff, the mere existence of which ticks me off. - not because I object to authors getting their (tiny) slice of sales value, but because I've seen DRM style protection schemes come and go (I've still got stuff from the 80s I can no longer access because of it for example).

Should I uninstall/reinstall adobe Digital editions, reauthorise the kobo, and say a prayer to Saint Vidicon of Cathode that fixes the problem? Should I try delete the files from the kobo first?

Or is it a case of factory reset the kobo as well, and lead everything back onto it through calibre only? Or Calibre for non-DRM books, and digital editions for DRM stuff?

If this all sounds n00bish it is because I am a n00b as far as eReaders go, and frankly a very NOT HAPPy one at this point!
WombatSnoozes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Or google for "Apprentice Alf" and follow his advice to remove DRM.....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #3
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
And after removing the DRM, use calibre to convert to epub.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's almost shocking what they put you through when one legally purchases books. And more shocking that people allow it, and there are no words to describe how when someone wants to free themselves from these shackles by being smarter than the system, how one is a downright pariah. You know what I'm talking about: It which cannot be spoken of freely in the forum.

So I guess the only "legal" advice I can give to all is: take it and accept it cause the copyright holders OWN YOU !

Having said that, I want to apologize about the rant but it seems that the "legal" system protects way more copyright holders than citizens which are nothing more than "consumers" in our so called "democracies".

In some countries like Canada even that is illegal so assuming this forum is Canada based, you can't say what you just said anymore than I can openly say what I implied in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Or google for "Apprentice Alf" and follow his advice to remove DRM.....

Last edited by Quexos; 12-03-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:07 AM   #5
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Wombat a few points from me:

- you've purchased DRM protected books in both the PDF and Epub formats - which both have to be download to a book reader that is licensed to read Adobe protected DRM books.

An easier book reader to work with than the ADE Reader is the Sony Reader which allows all Epub books to be downloaded - with or without DRM, and purchased from anywhere (or free from anywhere).

Here is the Sony link (I'm guessing you're in Aus because of the Wombat - yes?)

http://www.sony.com.au/support/download/469196

- You can't just read a DRM protected book on your ereader unless it's an ereader connected to the store that you bought the ebook from, eg:

Kobo store and Kobo ereader

Sony store and Sony ereader

Amazon store and Kindle ereader

- when you want to read a DRM book on an ereader not connected to the store that you bought the book from, like say you bought the ebook from Books on Board and you want to read it on your Kobo ereader, then you need to:

[instructions deleted]

[direct link deleted]

- then, if necessary or if you want to, convert the ebook format to whatever format you want (in Calibre)

Does this make sense to you? It can be quite tricky when first working through all this.

Please continue to ask questions .... we've all been there

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-03-2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: direct links and instructions aren't allowed.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #6
Gernella
Gernella began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600/Kobo Arc7
I have a few books on Books on Board that are unread and when I got my Kobo Arc I just went to the website, downloaded some software I needed first and then downloaded the books. The only one I had a problem with was one that is no longer available in the UK, so I'll have to go back to reading that on my Sony.

I also have loads on E.books com site, and again they've downloaded fine to my Arc. I think what happens is they don't always download into the Kobo application but to another similar to Kindle books.

I've had it a week now and the only problem I have is with size. I expected with 7inch I would get 7 inch of text. Looks like I will be trading up to windows 8 after Christmas.
Gernella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
BWinmill
Nameless Being

How did you copy the books to your Kobo? You have to copy DRMed books to a Touch via ADE (not the file manager), and the touch has to be registered through ADE.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatSnoozes View Post
Basically I think Adobe is ruining my week.

I'm Running off a PC (XP) with latest software updates.
Kobo software is uptodate, Calibre ditto

Installed Adobe Digital Editions after picking up some books at good prices from Books On Board.

Note 2: I keep getting 'delayed write failed' messages - I'm assuming this is related somehow?

Or is it a case of factory reset the kobo as well, and lead everything back onto it through calibre only? Or Calibre for non-DRM books, and digital editions for DRM stuff?

If this all sounds n00bish it is because I am a n00b as far as eReaders go, and frankly a very NOT HAPPy one at this point!
Note 2 is indeed critical. I have been through similar trials with Calibre and the same error message which resulted in an inability to copy books across. With the help of davidfor https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=124358 we tracked down the problem to old hardware. Try using a different USB port and changing settings on your computer for the Kobo - there is a setting there that optimizes for speed or need to safely disconnect. Change that one...
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
- You can't just read a DRM protected book on your ereader unless it's an ereader connected to the store that you bought the ebook from, eg:

Kobo store and Kobo ereader

Sony store and Sony ereader

Amazon store and Kindle ereader

- when you want to read a DRM book on an ereader not connected to the store that you bought the book from, like say you bought the ebook from Books on Board and you want to read it on your Kobo ereader, then you need to:...
Not to detract from the original question but the above is utter BS. Yes, Kepub(s) (Kobo's own epub version) & Mobi(s) (Amazon's Kindle epub) are two different kettles of fish and ARE tied to their specific ereader but even Kobo can read Mobi files from what I understand. However an epub is an epub is an epub. Same with PDFs. Doesn't matter where you bought it from. An epub bought from Kobo (NOT kepub) has the same DRM as one bought from Books on Board or borrowed from your local library.

Having said that and to get a bit back on topic. I have had problems before where a purchased EPUB book or one borrowed from a library appears to load fine into ADE but would not transfer properly to my Kobo. The problem was a corrupt file. Deleting the file and re-downloading fixed the issue. I don't know if this is the case anymore with the 2.0 version of ADE. I also can't speak if this problem would happen regarding PDFs.

I do advocate removing the DRM from your purchased books for your own sanity and for back up protection. My photos, music and ebooks are backed up onto a Passport drive and stored in a fireproof safe because you just never know.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
You can't just read a DRM protected book on your ereader unless it's an ereader connected to the store that you bought the ebook from,
erm... Not true, at least not in my experience.

When I got my Kobo a month or so ago I purposely tested this, authorizing my reader and then dragging / dropping epubs I had purchased from Sony and B&N. They all opened without any problems. I didn't even use ADE to load them, just dragged the epubs from the download file.

UPDATE: Well, tested this again, and I'm half right, Sony epubs work fine, but the B&N files did not.

Last edited by david_e; 12-03-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: correcting myself
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Barnes & Noble use a slightly different version of the Adobe DRM then is supported by the Kobo right now. I believe I read something around here that suggests they're looking at supporting it in the future.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
it's been awhile since i set up ADE, but I seem to remember linking my KT to ADE so that itknew DRM'ed books that were recognized by that Abobe account (and by the associated Overdrive accounts for library books) were readable on the KT. But like I said, it was a while ago i set it up, but I seem to remember the device needed to be linked to ADE.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Not to detract from the original question but the above is utter BS. Yes, Kepub(s) (Kobo's own epub version) & Mobi(s) (Amazon's Kindle epub) are two different kettles of fish and ARE tied to their specific ereader but even Kobo can read Mobi files from what I understand. However an epub is an epub is an epub. Same with PDFs. Doesn't matter where you bought it from. An epub bought from Kobo (NOT kepub) has the same DRM as one bought from Books on Board or borrowed from your local library.

.................... I do advocate removing the DRM from your purchased books for your own sanity and for back up protection. My photos, music and ebooks are backed up onto a Passport drive and stored in a fireproof safe because you just never know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
erm... Not true, at least not in my experience.

When I got my Kobo a month or so ago I purposely tested this, authorizing my reader and then dragging / dropping epubs I had purchased from Sony and B&N. They all opened without any problems. I didn't even use ADE to load them, just dragged the epubs from the download file.

UPDATE: Well, tested this again, and I'm half right, Sony epubs work fine, but the B&N files did not.
Thanks people for pulling me up.... in my gush to be helpful I may not have explained myself as well as I should have.

If someone wants to read an Epub with DRM intact, on an ereader other than the brand whose book they bought, than one needs to follow the procedure as set down by their ereader to facilitate that.

Eg, establish the set up link between the ereader and the ADE - or whichever other way your ereader provider tells you to do it.

Much easier just to download it onto a PC reader first, then import into Calibre with cleaning tools in place, and then import or copy into the ereader (after changing the format if necessary).

Until we hear back from Wombat it seems we won't know if any of the posts above is closest to helping him out with his particular issues.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 12-03-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakini View Post
it's been awhile since i set up ADE, but I seem to remember linking my KT to ADE so that itknew DRM'ed books that were recognized by that Abobe account (and by the associated Overdrive accounts for library books) were readable on the KT. But like I said, it was a while ago i set it up, but I seem to remember the device needed to be linked to ADE.
It's not really 'linked'. All ADE does is put an "authorization" on the reader - just a code in a file. After that, the reader will happily read all books with DRM set for your authorization.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #15
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Much easier just to download it onto a PC reader first, then import into Calibre with cleaning tools in place, and then import or copy into the ereader (after changing the format if necessary).

How is that easier than downloading than downloading the ascm file, which causes ADE to automatically download the book into it's library, then one single drag'n'drop puts the book on your reader?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote