Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2019, 06:45 PM   #1
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
Question ...does a lazarus...

OK so my three year old Aura One died Xmas Eve. I read it in the bath a lot, and one night I picked it upp off my bedside cabinet and a little water (about 5-10ml) came out - I guess from condensation, and the touchscreen wouldn't function.

Rebooted - nothing - tried all the factory reset procedures and had a varying success of flashing multicoloured led's, odd screens with weird sync symbols and triangle symbols - but no boot.

Ho hum - three years old and all that, and it's been my most used electronic device. So after Xmas my wife bought me a Oasis 3 for birthday/xmas joint present.

Anyway - today I tried, out of interest - to reboot my Aura One. It then got to the reset/reload firmware screen but was really sluggish - it did however let me connect it to my Mac for Kobo Desktop to rebuild it. A few reboots were sluggish but now it seems absolutely fine.

Well my wife had a Glo so she now has an Aura One! I don't know if I can rely on it but my wife will happily use it knowing she has a Glo to fall back on.

My only thought is the water resistant coating has deteriorated and the water was shorting things out, but over time it has dried out - has anyone else got any knowledge about whether that's a possibility? As I do most of my reading in the bath (I am a reincarnated Golgafrincham Captain it seems!) I think that seems likely!
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Out of curiosity, did you charge it while the usb port might not have been dry? That is the one "non-waterproof" feature...the port must be dry before attempting to charge.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2020, 01:48 PM   #3
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Out of curiosity, did you charge it while the usb port might not have been dry? That is the one "non-waterproof" feature...the port must be dry before attempting to charge.
Nope. Ensured the port was dry.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:50 PM   #4
Desdinova
Eternal light

In fact - left it three days before charging - as when it fell over it was at ~ 85%
Old 01-02-2020, 02:22 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
Ho hum - three years old and all that, and it's been my most used electronic device. So after Xmas my wife bought me a Oasis 3 for birthday/xmas joint present.
Why would your wife buy you an Oasis when you have been reading with a Kobo Aura One? I would have thought your wife would have bought you a Forma. The reading experience is not going to be as good as it was with your Aura One. To be honest, if it was me, I'd have got on to Amazon to request a return and gotten another Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2020, 06:48 AM   #6
Desdinova
Eternal light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would your wife buy you an Oasis when you have been reading with a Kobo Aura One? I would have thought your wife would have bought you a Forma. The reading experience is not going to be as good as it was with your Aura One. To be honest, if it was me, I'd have got on to Amazon to request a return and gotten another Kobo.
mmmmm..... cause she asked me what I wanted for a replacement, and after having a number of Kobo's I actually preferred the look of the Oasis. I'd had an offer for cheap Kindle Unlimited, and the amount of use I've had of KU already has sold me on keeping it.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:53 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
mmmmm..... cause she asked me what I wanted for a replacement, and after having a number of Kobo's I actually preferred the look of the Oasis. I'd had an offer for cheap Kindle Unlimited, and the amount of use I've had of KU already has sold me on keeping it.
Then you'd have been better off with a Kobo Libra H2O. It's very similar in design to th Oasis 3 except the software on the Kobo is very much superior to that on the Kindle.

But anyway, enjoy your Kindle.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-03-2020 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:41 AM   #8
Desdinova
Eternal light

Quote:
Then you'd have been better off with a Kobo Libra H2O. It's very similar in design to th Oasis 3 except the software on the Kobo is very much superior to that on the Kindle.
And this has to do with my original question how?
Old 01-03-2020, 01:09 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

But anyway, enjoy your Kindle.

Ah, but he expressed a strong desire to have KU.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:37 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Ah, but he expressed a strong desire to have KU.
There is a way around this. Remove the DRm, convert to ePub and read on a Kobo. Then when done reading, go on Amazon and return the book and delete any copies.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:09 PM   #11
Desdinova
Eternal light

Quote:
There is a way around this. Remove the DRm, convert to ePub and read on a Kobo. Then when done reading, go on Amazon and return the book and delete any copies.
And is utterly inconsequential to my original question. Aside from the sheer dubious legality of de-drming, the addition of several steps in excess of the simple way of reading KU, a solution to a totally unrelated question.

Seeing as people seem incapable of reading my original question, I shall repeat...

My only thought is the water resistant coating has deteriorated and the water was shorting things out, but over time it has dried out - has anyone else got any knowledge about whether that's a possibility? As I do most of my reading in the bath (I am a reincarnated Golgafrincham Captain it seems!) I think that seems likely!
Old 01-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Ummm... Jon, given that the route you suggest would prevent the authors from being paid for their work, I suspect that many would consider the difference between your suggestion and outright piracy as negligible.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:05 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Ummm... Jon, given that the route you suggest would prevent the authors from being paid for their work, I suspect that many would consider the difference between your suggestion and outright piracy as negligible.
I know some who read from KU on a Kindle that doesn't have the WiFi activated. How is that any different?
Old 01-03-2020, 03:08 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Given the mention of 5-10ml of water pouring out of the Aura One in your original message, my opinion is that the Aura One was submerged in water and not simply being used in a high humidity environment. The next step is to ask how much water was left inside the Aura One and if it was fresh water -- water that has soap or other chemicals is unlikely to qualify as fresh under the Ingress Protection code.

For what it's worth, I think that the water inside the Aura One took longer to evaporate than you expected. The one time I looked at an Aura One that that had been submerged by one of my nephews, we removed the back cover and left it to dry for 24 hours before trying to turn it back on.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:11 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I know some who read from KU on a Kindle that doesn't have the WiFi activated. How is that any different?
Sophism ill becomes you.

Tags
aura one, reincarnation, weird, xmas miracle