Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 08:01 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, Wacom touch screens are not capacitive, and my knowledge (it's not an "assumption") is based on knowing "that's how Wacom touch screens work". But you don't have to take my word for it - you'll find plenty of information about it elsewhere.

See, for example, here.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-30-2010 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Added link.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #32
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRags View Post
For today only, woot.com has refurbished PRS600 for $199.
Too bad they don't ship to Canada. But after playing with a 600 in the store yesterday, I don't really want it anyway (bad reflection).
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:06 AM   #33
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
After digging&asking around, I've found the following pictures, UPDATE Onyx unleashed, the wacom screen is indeed behind, as Harry has stated:

Spoiler:

It has sophysticated sensor system, emitting EM waves, that feed (!) stylus, that responds with god knows what kind of positioning information.

Advantages of this technology:
  • Does not degrade the screen

Disadvantages:
  • Works only with special stylus, fingers won't work
  • Longevity

Not sure about battery life.
Here are photos of iRex DR800SG (also has mentioned kind of touchscreen) vs many readers:

iRex vs 300
Spoiler:

iRex vs Kindle (?)
Spoiler:

iRex vs 900
Spoiler:

iRex vs 505
Spoiler:

iRex vs Nook
Spoiler:

Last edited by kartu; 05-03-2010 at 06:49 AM.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:50 AM   #34
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
After digging&asking around, I've found the following pictures, Nook unleashed, the wacom screen is indeed behind, as Harry has stated:

It has sophisticated sensor system, emitting EM waves, that feed (!) stylus, that responds with god knows what kind of positioning information.

Advantages of this technology:
  • Does not degrade the screen
HarryT was preaching the virtues of the BeBook Neo or Onyx. So the iRex DR800SG and the Nook also uses this tech for touch screen. Nice to know, thanks HarryT and kartu for clarifying this.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-03-2010 at 07:25 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:50 AM   #35
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

dwanthny
I am sorry for the confusion, on the first screen it's actually Onyx, Nook does not have wacom's touchscreen.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #36
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
dwanthny
I am sorry for the confusion, on the first screen it's actually Onyx, Nook does not have wacom's touchscreen.
Not a problem, I'm easily confused. Just ask my wife.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #37
omatix
omatix began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Considering that you can find the PRS-300 for $130 this week (TigerDirect has the lowest price, I believe), $279 really sounds like a lot of money for an inch of extra screen space. But, as was stated, there's a lot of personal preference that goes into this.
omatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #38
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by omatix View Post
$279 really sounds like a lot of money for an inch of extra screen space.
Don't confuse the diagonal measurement for the actual screen space... In terms of screen area, it's 12 inches on the 300 vs. 17.25 inches on the 505.

You're getting almost 50% more screen real estate on the 505 for the extra money.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #39
omatix
omatix began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Don't confuse the diagonal measurement for the actual screen space... In terms of screen area, it's 12 inches on the 300 vs. 17.25 inches on the 505.

You're getting almost 50% more screen real estate on the 505 for the extra money.
Good point.
omatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #40
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Price is now CA$249.95 at futureshop.ca.
Sale Ends:May 20, 2010
Another reminder that it ships only within Canada.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #41
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
I chose a 505 over the 300, paying just over $300 shipped (new item from poster previously in this thread). But I'm in the US and could not take advantage of futureshop's promo.

Here is my breakdown.

PRS-505

+ Screen Real Estate
+ Ergonomics
+ Similarity to PRS-500 which I'm replacing
+ Design of device is visually striking (I'm a sucker for design/engineering)

- Price

PRS-300
+ Speed (noticeably faster than 505)
+ Portability
+ Price (!!!)

- Ergonomics - Harder to hold with 1 hand and turn pages compared to 505.
- Screen size
- Klunky looking, with lots of wasted frame space on the bottom.

To me, the screens are indistinguishable in terms of clarity. And that is the most important factor in a reader: ease of readability (do you hear me PRS-600?!?).

While I chose the PRS-505, had the PRS-300's price been as low as it is now, I would have bought that instead. It's now half the price you can get a new PRS-505 for, and half the price I payed. I'm not unhappy, as I like the PRS-505, but the price and slight speed bump are real winners.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:59 AM   #42
kartu
PRS+ author

PRS-505's pros vs 300 that you forgot to mention, are:

SD/MS slots
image viewer
music player
Old 05-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
HarryT was preaching the virtues of the BeBook Neo or Onyx. So the iRex DR800SG and the Nook also uses this tech for touch screen. Nice to know, thanks HarryT and kartu for clarifying this.
That's correct; iRex use Wacom touch screens, too. The styluses of iRex and Neo/Onyx machines work fine on each other.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #44
bigpizza
bigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five words

Device: prs-505, prs-T1
Just ordered a brand new red 505 from futureshop.ca.

It's the last one. Now already sold out.
bigpizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #45
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I love my 505 and would try to get another one if mine died. But I don't know about $279. There was just someone selling one on this forum with accessories for $250. And it's been pointed out that a 300 is the same resolution with a slightly smaller screen and they are selling on Amazon for under $140 and at Walmart for $149.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote