Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #121
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I'm going for it. I'm replacing my Kindle DX US with the Kindle touch. Just ordered it. I hope I can sell my DX for enough to pay for the Touch. I should be able to I think. I decided to go for the ad supported one. $40 extra just seems too much for the ad-free one. I'm also going to try to get a cheaper case than the $40 Amazon one, which is a freakin ripoff. How can the case cost 40% of the device? I'm thinking $25 max for a case.

Sadly, I opted for the wifi only model. 3G is handy but I really didn't use it all that much since I have an iphone 4. 50% extra just wasn't worth it.

I'll be paying for my upgrade with my old kindle which is awesome.

Last edited by markbot; 10-15-2011 at 11:09 PM.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:31 AM   #122
rplacd
rplacd began at the beginning.

Device: K3W, K4NT
I've also just dropped my Kindle and just realized that the damn thing doesn't have tabs that fall apart like the K3.
rplacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 01:00 AM   #123
Zulithe
Zulithe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle [third generation]
Do we have any sort of proof that the Kindle 4 touch actually is faster (in ANY way) than the Kindle 3? I read the Engadget review of the K4 (non-touch) and they noted that it did not seem faster at all.

if the K4 Touch actually is faster in some ways that would be an added bonus.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:19 AM   #124
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Do we have any sort of proof that the Kindle 4 touch actually is faster (in ANY way) than the Kindle 3? I read the Engadget review of the K4 (non-touch) and they noted that it did not seem faster at all.

if the K4 Touch actually is faster in some ways that would be an added bonus.
The K4 is faster than the K3 not by much but it's faster. You'll notice it when using the browser the most.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-17-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #125
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I have no idea what they were testing. I noticed the speed improvement right away on the Kindle NT. Books load up faster, the dictionary popup is faster, overall the experience is just quicker.

I'll do a test tonight with my wife's Kindle 3 and my Kindle 4, load up the same book, I'm positive the Kindle 4 will load the book faster.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #126
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
I'm going for it. I'm replacing my Kindle DX US with the Kindle touch. Just ordered it. I hope I can sell my DX for enough to pay for the Touch. I should be able to I think.
I'll be glad to buy you the touch if you let me have your DX
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #127
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I don't have a K4 so I can't do a speed comparison myself, but I wonder if the speed difference could be due to having more books on the K3. I don't know if that may be a factor for any of you, but I have noticed a considerable slowdown in my K3 the more books I've loaded. It crawls along now compared to how it was when I got it a year ago.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #128
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I don't have a K4 so I can't do a speed comparison myself, but I wonder if the speed difference could be due to having more books on the K3. I don't know if that may be a factor for any of you, but I have noticed a considerable slowdown in my K3 the more books I've loaded. It crawls along now compared to how it was when I got it a year ago.
The number of books should in no way whatsoever have any impact while reading a book. It will obviously slow down such things as doing a global search, but not reading.

Have you checked to make sure that you don't have unindexed books slowing down your Kindle?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #129
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you checked to make sure that you don't have unindexed books slowing down your Kindle?
Yes, I have. There are no unindexed books. I don't particularly notice a slowdown during reading, but with all other functions (Home page, adding to collections, searches, etc.) it can be very slow. Restarting the Kindle sometimes helps a bit for a while, but it eventually slows again.

I do have about 1,000 books and apps on the device, so that may have something to do with it.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #130
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
I have no idea what they were testing. I noticed the speed improvement right away on the Kindle NT. Books load up faster, the dictionary popup is faster, overall the experience is just quicker.

I'll do a test tonight with my wife's Kindle 3 and my Kindle 4, load up the same book, I'm positive the Kindle 4 will load the book faster.
OK, so it *seems* like the Kindle keyboard 3.3 update may have sped things up a bit on the Kindle Keyboard.

I tested side by side with my K4 and my wife's Kindle Keyboard loading the exact same book, the speed was about the same. Also dictionary lookups were equally fast on both devices. I distinctly remember stuff like loading and dictionary lookups to be a tad slow on the Keyboard, but now that I've updated to 3.3 it seems quicker. At least there's not a real discernible difference to my naked eye.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #131
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Kindle 3 + Kindle Fire only.

All the 4th generation Kindle eInk screens require good lighting for reading. Thus, my 3rd Generation Kindle Keyboard WiFi does NOT need an upgrade to any of them since they also require good lighting.

However, in poor light none of the eInk Kindles, 3rd and 4th Generation, can be read comfortably.

Therefore, I did purchase the 4th Generation Kindle Fire Touch WiFi. That will do just fine in poor lighting.

Up until now I had to use my PC for Kindle Application to read in low lighting. Backlight is REQUIRED if there is poor Reflective light.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #132
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Sicne my K3 is four months old its too soon to consider the upgrading.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #133
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Sicne my K3 is four months old its too soon to consider the upgrading.
My KSO is almost 6 months old and I'm upgrading.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #134
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
After paying all the bills at home I guess I have less dollars to spend on electronics then you do tube monkey must be great.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #135
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
After paying all the bills at home I guess I have less dollars to spend on electronics then you do tube monkey must be great.
I'm using the money I've saved up so far from the Special Offers. They've already paid for my KSO, with more than enough left over to buy another one.

So really, both Kindles are free.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote