Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-17-2010, 06:09 AM   #1
jbone_hu
jbone_hu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX graphite
Question Kindle DXG - US purchase, global use (web browsing)

Hi everyone,
planning to buy a new Kindle DX Graphite (3G global generic) in the US, with US card and delivery address. http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireles...=sa_menu_kdx23

BUT I plan to use it in Eastern Europe.
As I understand, hardware-wise there is only one type of DXG - the 3G global anyway.

Question is: how do the determine which country's rules apply for conditions like book purchase, web browsing (especially important).

So in my native country, the local Amazon conditions allow web browsing as I understand, but the book store offers is much more limited and more expensive.
So I need to know if I should register and keep it as US device, or register as local device in my country.
As a US device roaming

Please expalain - I know there are certain hacks but let's keep it non-technical first. (that's plan B -
jbone_hu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
Tuba
Enthusiast
Tuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
I did the exact same thing – bought a Kindle DXG in the US (purchased with a US credit card and delivered to a US address) and using it now in the UK.

Take a look through the thread I made here.

End Result – I kept my Amazon account registered in the US.

Seems to give you the widest selection of books and the cheapest prices. On the off-chance a book is unavailable in the US but available in the UK, I’ll deal with it then. Maybe I’ll switch my account for that one book and then switch back (people take business trips from the US to the UK all the time, right?).

Browsing should be free anywhere it’s available. It is in the UK. They will only charge me for automatic periodical delivery or personal document conversion/delivery. I use the USB cord from my PC for delivery and Calibre for conversions. So no extra charges for me

There will be a notice letter in your Kindle when you get it which covers the charges. It’s not exactly the same one on the Kindle DXG purchase page of the Amazon website that comes up when you click your country in the “Live Outside the U.S.?” box. But that should give you some more info.

Oh, and lastly, keep in mind that your Kindle DXG will only come with a US power plug. You can always charge from a USB port but keep it in mind.

OK, this is the last thing – Order your case from the US. There seem to be very few Kindle DX cases available outside the US and most makers won’t ship internationally or will charge a lot for it.
Tuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
jbone_hu
jbone_hu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX graphite
hope

Thanks for the detailed answer,
now I only hope that non-US cards will be not an issue in payment....
jbone_hu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle dxg