Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Display issue

I have now had several instances of my display being "lighter" than normal. The fonts are spidery, some of the lighter, thinner lines in artwork completely disappear... It's immediately very obvious to me when this happens!

Usually a reset (not shutdown/restart) fixes the issue. To me it seems that the display controller switches the table it uses to look up the values of the 16 supported gray tones, or at least something related. I would think that if was eInk-related, it would be more permanent or would take longer to revert than instantly switching back to normal after a reset.

I have included a montage from the most recent incident. My "Grayscale Test" image fairly clearly shows the shift in the gray palette. (look at it at the original size if possible) The fonts are obviously spidery because the shade of gray used to anti-alias them is much lighter than normal. It may seem like nitpicking in the specific examples, but really the overall effect is quite noticeable and distracting to me.

Before I bring it up (again) in the iRex forum if other early adopters have run noticed any of this on their own reader?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DisplayIssue.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	801.2 KB
ID:	17204  
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Have you noticed any pattern with exposure to sunlight? There have been known issues in the past with eInk coming out "faded" when the screen is in direct sunlight during the refresh. I have not seen any indication of how and/or why this happens, but it's been noted in the past. Is that possibly related to what you're seeing?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Have you noticed any pattern with exposure to sunlight? There have been known issues in the past with eInk coming out "faded" when the screen is in direct sunlight during the refresh. I have not seen any indication of how and/or why this happens, but it's been noted in the past. Is that possibly related to what you're seeing?
I'm familiar with that from the Sony reader, and I think it's more related to operating temperature than light itself. The effect is gradual and spread consistently over the entire display/range of grays.

The above issue seems obviously different to me.

(It is also separate from the refresh "issue" which is most obviously when writing: the screen slowly turns gray-ish, but as soon as you refresh it (by pulling up a menu for example) it's back to crisp black & white.)
Old 10-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Can't say I've noticed what you are describing and showing. I have had what you describe as the "refresh" issue when scribbling.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
daoshi
daoshi began at the beginning.

Device: irex dr1000s
I find similar things too. Last time I used the on screen keyboard to input my search key word "1999" the last two 9s looked different to the first 2 digits.
daoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #6
daoshi
daoshi began at the beginning.

Device: irex dr1000s
hopefully this is a software bug rather than an hardware one which would be far more difficult to fix

Have you contacted iRex yet?
daoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ok, here are the things I've identified:

1) If I start the reader, the Irex logo is displayed plain wrong. The lighter grey that is used for the upper left part of x in Irex is simply not visible. The background that is supposed to be behind the big I is barely visible. In short, all colors are much lighter than they should be, in fact you can only see one shade of grey. If I shut down the device and start again, no change.
However, if I reset the device after it boots, it does some sort of calibration at the beginning of the boot, and the logo is displayed with correct colors this time. (Actually the same calibration like thing occurs on normal startup too, however it just does not end up right)
If I shut down after the reset, the logo is not displayed right. The only way to get the colors of the logo right, is to reset the device. Normal shutdown can not do this.

2) At any time, on a pdf or a writing pad (which is also pdf), if I write something down the colors are lighter than they should be. If I press the main button and display the menu, the colors are fixed immediately, and they stay that way, however new writing again appears with lighter colors. Another display of the menu refreshes the whole screen and all writing goes to dark color again.
I believe it is a software issue. I've been testing this behavior all day, in different light conditions, and the problem is consistent.

3) There is some ghosting on the screen, for example after the first boot, the large I in the logo can be seen on the device, show and hide the menu, and it is gone.

I'll post this to Irex forums too.

Kind regards
Seref
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
sarikan
Zealot

As a side note: it appears that it is possible to start DR1000S by pressing the reset button, without using the power button at all.
In this casem and in other cases where you push reset button, the device does a little buzzing sound followed by a beep, and shades/colors in the logo are displayed correctly.
However, I am not comfortable with using reset button so much. I do not think it is designed to be used daily, so I'm afraid of causing physical wearing out or something similar.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #9
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarikan View Post
Ok, here are the things I've identified:
<snip>
Thanks, though the things you describe are quite normal for e-Ink displays, that's where the whole issue of refreshing the screen comes in (and that annoying black flash) This is the same for the Sony reader for instance. The graying that appears (a bit like a bad blank photocopy) is the black particles drifting up due to a lack of screen refresh.

This happens when you write because it is only updated where you draw, not the full display, otherwise it would be blinking constantly. Going to a menu does a full refresh, and after that it looks much cleaner.

I briefly touched on those, but you gave a much more thorough description. The issue I started this thread for is separate however, it happens after a proper refresh, and consistently across all pages. It seems like the reader/controller has switched to a lighter palette than the default.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarikan View Post
As a side note: it appears that it is possible to start DR1000S by pressing the reset button, without using the power button at all.
In this casem and in other cases where you push reset button, the device does a little buzzing sound followed by a beep, and shades/colors in the logo are displayed correctly.
However, I am not comfortable with using reset button so much. I do not think it is designed to be used daily, so I'm afraid of causing physical wearing out or something similar.
You are correct. And yes, we all have to use it more than should be necessary at this point But I wouldn't worry about it wearing out so soon... just don't push it harder than necessary, and just use the plastic tip of your pen rather than a metal paperclip.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:16 PM   #11
sarikan
Zealot

Hi again,
I was under the impression that you are describing what I've written, since you wrote that a reset fixes the issue, however I see that you are referring to a separate issue, and I am not sure if I am able to recognize your case on my device. Maybe after I get used to it a little bit

Last edited by sarikan; 10-22-2008 at 04:19 PM.

Tags
display, dr1000s, image attachment, problem