Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-07-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
Anteater
Anteater began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Question Good, cheap PDF reader

I have a few PDF ebooks that are 100% text - no images - and I'm looking for some sort of portable device that I can use to read them on the go. Price is really important - I don't have a lot of money to spare right now but quality is also important. What reader would be the best for that?
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Honest answer? A cheap 2nd hand notebook PC. No eBook reader is great for reading PDFs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I agree, or try and pick up a cheap used TabletPC so you can *move* the keyboard out of the way when you don't need it and view in a more natural whole-page portrait-mode.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
C6REW
Connoisseur
C6REW has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1
Hi neonfire,

Best product I bought for other things is a tablet pc from these folks:

http://www.demand-it.co.uk

Check out the Samsung Q1 tablet pc which used to be about £1,000 and they are selling ex demonstration units with full 12 month guarantee for £387 + vat

http://www.added-dimension.co.uk/Exp...1U.E00.SUK.pdf

Bought two and very impressed with the company and the product. I have the older version than shown above.

Regards

Chris
C6REW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
An eee, with the page rotated will also work fairly well. I do this on occasion.
But a tablet will be easier to hold with a long reading session.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 05:40 AM   #6
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Title reminds me of a sign I saw in a printers once:-

"Good, Fast, Cheap - pick any two..."

So yes, my vote would be for an HP/Compaq TC1000 or 1100 (better) Tablet PC - seem to be quite a few around (eBay) and the spares (battery, stylus etc...) are readily available.

Cheers, Pete.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
C6REW
Connoisseur
C6REW has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1
There is always a danger with second hand laptops. They can go very wrong and cost a lot of money to get right.

That is why I suggested going straight to the manufacturers representative and buying a few week old Samsung Q1 for less than half the price with a full 12 months guarantee.

These units have been loaned for a few weeks to corporate customer to decide if they want to standardise on them.

Best regards

Chris
C6REW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:05 AM   #8
joewandy
Enthusiast
joewandy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~NeonFire~ View Post
I have a few PDF ebooks that are 100% text - no images - and I'm looking for some sort of portable device that I can use to read them on the go. Price is really important - I don't have a lot of money to spare right now but quality is also important. What reader would be the best for that?
I'd suggest the Sony Reader for you
joewandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~NeonFire~ View Post
As you have pure text PDFs, it should be relatively straightforward converting them to a real ebook format. So, if you don't want to go tablet PC/ laptop and are looking for a "true" ebook reader, try formulating some more requirements, and we should be able to recommend a device.

Other than that, what the others already said: Get a cheap tablet pc.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote