Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #106
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
Thanks. My bad, must have forgotten that I change the setting on my phone before.

Wanna help me solve the wifi issue?
My WiFi turns off after about 10m of inactivity. Doesn't bother me - I guess it's done that way to save the battery. Having WiFi turned on drains the battery at a ferocious rate. Have you asked Artatech for help? I've found them to be responsive to questions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #107
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My WiFi turns off after about 10m of inactivity. Doesn't bother me - I guess it's done that way to save the battery. Having WiFi turned on drains the battery at a ferocious rate. Have you asked Artatech for help? I've found them to be responsive to questions.
It turns off after 10m despite your setting is on "never turn off"?
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #108
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, it does.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #109
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Jesus! Does every T68 have this issue or what?

I bought the T68 to read academic textbooks, which I store in my Google Drive, then I use an app called FolderSync to automatically download and sync the textbooks. This must required wifi connection. If I knew about this issue, I would never paid $280 AUD for it. I would have gotten the Tab S instead..

Last edited by FinancialWar; 08-29-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #110
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm afraid I can only comment on what mine does. That's why I suggested that you ask Artatech.
Advert
Old 08-29-2014, 08:59 AM   #111
FinancialWar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid I can only comment on what mine does. That's why I suggested that you ask Artatech.
Who is Artatech? I bought mine from Booxer.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #112
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Who is Artatech? I bought mine from Booxer.
Oh, sorry, then in that case it's them ("Booxstor" on MR) that you need to talk to. There are two versions of the T68: the "Onyx International" version, which you have, and the Artatech version, which I have. The two versions use different firmware.

That could very well explain our differing experiences with the touchscreen: Artatech released a firmware update at the end of July which, for me at least, dramatically improved the touchscreen accuracy: in the original firmware, using the soft keyboard would result in the wrong key being activated about 20% of the time, but since the upgrade it's virtually 100% reliable. That would seem to suggest that what you're seeing is a firmware issue, rather than a hardware problem.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-29-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #113
FinancialWar
Banned

Does Artatech use Paypal?

Booxstor's store refused to refund my money and I will not be buying from them in the future.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #114
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I love the idea of an eInk android tablet being able to use Calibre Companion for my existing books and Scribd to find new ones with the comfort of eInk would be great!

I wonder if they would come out with a smaller version for those of us that prefer a smaller screen. I find that 6" is the perfect screen size for me. My Nexus 7 feels a bit too big in my hands for casual reading, the footprint of the T68 seems similar.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:22 AM   #115
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:

Booxstor's store refused to refund my money and I will not be buying from them in the future.
If the option to keep the wifi connection on permamently does not work, it sounds to me like a problem which can be fixed. Has Booxstor actually responded to you on this issue?

In the meantime, you may be able to find an application that uses the connection in this 10 minute timeout period. VPN tunnels are sometimes kept open by as simple a method as sending a ping periodically. I haven't actually looked for anything for you, and there may not be anything. But there are a lot of Android Apps out there.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:11 AM   #116
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sorry - to clarify: my WiFi stays on for more than 10m; it only seems to turn off if I don't use the device for about 10m. If I'm constantly using it, it doesn't turn off.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-30-2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:16 AM   #117
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:

Artatech sell through Amazon and, as you know, Amazon have about the best returns policy around.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #118
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Quote:
Quote:
Has you tried these settings?
  1. Settings,network, wireless, Advanced,Keep wifi on during sleep: Always
  2. Settings,systems,Power management,Network inactivity timeout: Never

I have a T68 Lynx. After your comments, i checked my device;
(above settings are in the Lynx, not sure about a Booxstor version)

I saw the wifi shuts off after 5 mins or after some inactivity.
Now it doesnt. not even when idle. not even after wakeup from a sleep.

From your posts, you seem to have done (1).
You could also try (2) and post your comments maybe.

Edit:
I see that elsewhere you had tried this and was ineffective.
and someone suggested rebooting after making these changes. However yours and some others mileage seems to vary. I would still suggest trying this out afresh.

mine is still on and idling since about 30+ mins between the post and this edit.
Anyways, it works for me and am happy.

Funny though now the t68 doesnt autosleep even when still set to 3 mins.
I will revert these changes. Because i rarely use wifi and android is a leaky cauldron to netwok access.

Last edited by rhari79; 08-30-2014 at 02:39 PM. Reason: updates
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #119
FinancialWar
Banned

Sigh... Of course, read my thread in the Onyx forum. Tried everything of course.

Should have bought from Amazon.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #120
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx i86+, Lenovo tab s8-50, Galaxy Mega, Transformer T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
I love the idea of an eInk android tablet being able to use Calibre Companion for my existing books and Scribd to find new ones with the comfort of eInk would be great!

I wonder if they would come out with a smaller version for those of us that prefer a smaller screen. I find that 6" is the perfect screen size for me. My Nexus 7 feels a bit too big in my hands for casual reading, the footprint of the T68 seems similar.
There is the 6" boyue T61 (Icarus Illumina) or T62 : https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boyue_T61
pierro78 is offline   Reply With Quote