Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
mphuie
mphuie began at the beginning.

Device: nokia 770
Slow page turns on smallest font (~3 sec)

I like to read my kindle on the smallest font. Page turns are extremely slow. ~3 seconds. Page turns aren't as slow on larger fonts.

This is on a book purchased from amazon.

Is this normal? Are there any performance tweaks that can be made?
mphuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
There's much more text to process before displaying when using the smallest font. But 3 seconds is way too slow...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Just checked mine on a couple of books, and no problem in any of the sizes.

Interestingly enough, on my Sony 500, I purchased 3 or 4 books that had that probelm in the largest size. It started about a quarter way through the books, and got progressively worse as went ahead, up to as much as 7-8 seconds. Could not finish them.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphuie View Post
I like to read my kindle on the smallest font. Page turns are extremely slow. ~3 seconds. Page turns aren't as slow on larger fonts.

This is on a book purchased from amazon.
Does this happen to be a AZW1 e-book? These have embedded fonts, which might be why it is slow. In any case which book is it? If Amazon makes a sample available, we can all download and test it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
mphuie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Does this happen to be a AZW1 e-book? These have embedded fonts, which might be why it is slow. In any case which book is it? If Amazon makes a sample available, we can all download and test it.
I just tested it on the User's Guide as well as a pure HTML file with only <p> tags (no fonts) converted with Mobi creator. Both around 2.9 seconds.
Advert
Old 01-30-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
mphuie

I did some quick times of other font sizes with the HTML file converted with Mobi (no fonts)

Size 1 ~2.9-3 sec
Size 2 ~1.2 sec
Size 3 ~1.2 sec
Size 4 ~2.0-2.3 sec ???
Size 5 ~1.5 sec
Size 6 ~1.5 sec
Old 01-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Please post your sample file

Hello,

Would you please post your sample file in which you measured 3s for page turn?

Thanks,
Steven
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
mphuie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
Hello,

Would you please post your sample file in which you measured 3s for page turn?

Thanks,
Steven
Try the users guide, or Time magazine. The content doesn't seem to matter.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

i see. I would like to understand how you are experiencing the delay. For example, are you timing it page to page? Or do you experience the delay as you finish reading one page and then turn the page. More over, do you only experience the delay for pages that have only text? only pictures? a mixed of picture and text?

For example, please note the user location ranges that you are experiencing the 3s delay from the Kindle User Guide.

Thank you very much.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
mphuie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
i see. I would like to understand how you are experiencing the delay. For example, are you timing it page to page? Or do you experience the delay as you finish reading one page and then turn the page. More over, do you only experience the delay for pages that have only text? only pictures? a mixed of picture and text?

For example, please note the user location ranges that you are experiencing the 3s delay from the Kindle User Guide.

Thank you very much.
I am timing from press of the next page button until after the flash (when the new page is displayed).

This is odd - While testing just now, my unit locked up (Navigation bar was showing full bar, unresponsive). I hit home, after a few seconds it went back to the home screen. Now, page turns take about 1.1 seconds.

It seems to be fixed now, but how do I repro it? And what happened?
Old 01-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #11
stevenmoy
Zealot

That's an interesting behavior... To paint a more complete picture, do you have a SD card install? Do you have a lot of books in the SD card? Have you recently move some new books to the Kindle via USB or download via Basic Web?
Old 01-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
My guess is that some task was running in the background. The most likely candidate is the indexing of new content when it arrives (to speed up later searches). So if you recently added many files that might explain the slowdown.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #13
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Yeah, indexing could be responsible for this.
Someone told me something similar, that after adding the Feedbooks guide the Kindle was a bit unresponsive once. I guess that the indexing process can eat a lot of CPU cycles on the Kindle...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote