Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
$329 for ipad mini

I think I will pass.
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I've avoided the iPad since I've got a Macbook Air and the iPad isn't smaller or lighter enough to make much difference for couch surfing. The iPad mini at half the weight of the iPad is very tempting. It's a shame the screen resolution matches the iPad2, but it still might be my Christmas present to myself this year.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
That's for wifi and entry level model, without high resolution like iPad 3. So, way too expensive, IMO ...

Happy that I bought my Kindle PW. With iPad 3, it's the perfect reading combo.

I am actually selling my Nexus 7, now that I finally got a Kindle with integrated light on it ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
That's for wifi and entry level model, without high resolution like iPad 3. So, way too expensive, IMO ...
Not to mention that it has a 2 generations old CPU.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I totally passed on the Ipad which is totally overpriced. I'll do the same for whatever this new thing is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastanley View Post
I think I will pass.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Not to mention that it has a 2 generations old CPU.
I thought they would throw some goodies into the bag.

Still it will let the Apple faithful have a smaller more convenient device on the go if the iPhone is too little.

Filling the niches.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Not for me.

They compared it to the 7" class tablets but it's priced higher than the new 9" class tablets from Amazon and BN with retina class displays. Bigger screen, higher resolution, lower price - iPad Mini who?
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Oh, they will. They'll throw a bunch of goodies in the bag for you. Provided that you pay for them, first.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think I will pass.
Big yawn from me and I will not even bother trying one.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
There was that weird bit where they announced that they'd produced the two new cables, and then nothing more on them.

I assumed they were going to part of the iPad packages, but I think it was "we've now got two more cables you can buy".

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not exactly what would be categorized as a apple person myself, but I'd have to say, this, especially after the iphone 5, I feel they've kinda been missing the mark lately. While I'm not generally one that's going to rush out and buy most apple products (I have philosophical disagreements with the way apple does things), in general I think most of their products have been pretty well packaged, and are generally decent products. But this ipad mini I just don't really get.

I think in this case, they were trying way too hard to make something that wouldn't canibalize either iphone or ipad sales, and have ended up with a product that falls awkwardly in the middle, with little compelling reason to go with it. Apple's spent way too much time and money promoting their "retina" display, that to produce the mini without it, *especially* when there's competing products out there that have a higher resolution than what they release, just seems pretty silly. On top of that, putting in a significantly older processor vs the current ipad, and it's pretty obvious that they're doing everything they can to not eat into the full sized ipad sales.

Now, I'll be honest, I always kinda felt this product was a questionable one for Apple. I honestly don't know how many people out there are going to feel they need both an ipad and an ipad mini. I'd expect most people would tend to pick one of the sizes, and only buy the one device. (Oh, I know, there's always the segment that will get both, but I don't feel it's the majority of people). And when you produce a mini at the prices that they did, I think that makes it an even tougher sell for someone to buy both.

And the pricing, that I have to be honest, I find borderline insane, especially at the higher end of the product. (I'd probably not find the pricing to be quite as bad at the bottom end if that price had been with the better processor and higher screen resolution.)
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I'm not impressed with the mini-pad, nor did Amazon's latest offerings fire me up. I hope Google's announcements on Oct. 29th are more promising.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
$100 overpriced, IMHO
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Quote:
I think I will pass.
my thoughts as well.

i used to be an apple lover. the last couple years ... i've started to look elsewhere and been perfectly content with what i've seen cheaper, elsewhere.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper28 View Post
Apple's spent way too much time and money promoting their "retina" display, that to produce the mini without it, *especially* when there's competing products out there that have a higher resolution than what they release, just seems pretty silly.
My guess is that they know it will sell like hot cakes over Christmas, and they'll follow it up by Q2 2013 with a retina iPad mini 2.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote