Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
MrsAmandaK
Nerdy and I know it ;)
MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Better question is what DOESN'T this family have?! Current: Kindle PW
E-Reader Noob, Fanfiction aspect

Hello! I am brand new to the forums

I am in the market for an e-reader and I am totally overwhelmed. I live in the U.S. and the only thing I really care about is that I can easily read my fanfics on the e-reader. I have been reading on my ipad for a while, but I find I kill the battery and it's clunky.

My husband has made purchases through Barnes and Noble for his nook that he sold a while ago - so that's the only tie to a service. To be honest I am not even sure what he purchased lol.

Since I have my ipad I don't really need to have media, etc ... I just want something light to read on that has good battery life and like I said can handle fanfics well since that makes up at least 50% of my reading *no hate* Oh also, I haven't used calibre yet, but some way to organize books or search for tags would be very, very useful.

Can anyone help? I am totally overwhelmed!
MrsAmandaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
I would suggest the ad-supported kindle non touch.

This page converts from major sites to mobi-format for the kindle:

http://fanfictionloader.appspot.com/
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
MrsAmandaK
Nerdy and I know it ;)
MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovare View Post
I would suggest the ad-supported kindle non touch.

This page converts from major sites to mobi-format for the kindle:

http://fanfictionloader.appspot.com/

Thank you for the link!!

May I ask why the Kindle over say the Nook?
Old 01-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAmandaK View Post
Thank you for the link!!

May I ask why the Kindle over say the Nook?
Mostly because I think it would be well suited for your purpose. The Nook Simple touch looks like a very nice choice as well , and appears to be better value in terms of features. It does seem to lack physical page-turn buttons and is slightly larger. (I don't have personal experience with the nook)

I would think, you probably will be very happy with either choice.

PS: Do consider a cover with light, for the kindle I've been using the original from amazon which is a bit expensive but very nice in use.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
The good news: all the e-ink readers work fine for fanfic. And pretty much everyone who just likes *reading* loves whatever reader they get.

Kindle is a good choice for people who don't want to deal with the more technical aspects and just wants to read. For people who want to buy books from the various stores, the hassle of conversion (and possibly, cracking the DRM) can be a bigger consideration.

I'm not sure how well the Kindle manages collections, but unless you do lots of sorting and re-reading, it's not likely to matter.

I use an Astak Pocket EZ-Reader, which is now out of production but there are similar models available; it reads both mobi and epub without DRM (which would include any fanfic). I download a lot of fic from Archiveofourown because it's got an auto-ebook function, and for other fics, I tend to convert them to custom-sized PDFs, because I've been too lazy to sort out Calibre. I already knew how to make specialized PDFs when I got my reader.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
MrsAmandaK
Nerdy and I know it ;)

Thank you very much for the help! I may just got to a store and play around with them
Old 01-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
That is probably your best bet. Different folks have different preferences for the various devices feel. Since they all pretty much do the same thing now you may as well make sure that you have one that feels good.

I love my Kindle and have yet to play with another device that would convince me to change but that is me.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I use:
Sony PRS-350 (with PRS+ firmware)
http://www.flagfic.com (for downloading to ePub)
Calibre (for automatic collection creation)

Being able to sort fanfiction into collections based on fandom is great. With PRS+, it's also possible to navigate based on folder hierarchy.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote