Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Kindle Fire vs Ipod Touch?

This is the latest meme going round the Internets. The KF doesn't stack well against the iPad, feature wise, but it does vs the IPT -and for a similar price. So does the KF kill off the IPT?
Before the KF announcement, I was thinking ipod Touch , but now, the KF looks better. But, hang on, Apple is about to step to the plate:

Quote:
Just a hypothetical question in advance of next Tuesday’s announcement — which will definitely be about the iPhone 5 / 4S, but may contain music-related announcement.

Let’s say you could choose between a Kindle Fire for $199, or an 8GB (or even 16GB) iPod Touch for $199? Or an 8GB iPod Touch at say, $149? Keep in mind the iPod Touch runs the same iOS apps as the iPhone, including Amazon’s Kindle and Apple’s iBooks. The biggest advantage with the Kindle Fire is a bigger screen, but the ability to run all the iOS apps might win out.

Frankly, I don't see Apple going all the way to 149 on an ipod touch, but Apple has to do SOMETHING. If they don't, I'll be on fire for the Fire. What do you all think.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Is a bigger screen a real advantage when we are talking about a device you take with you all the time? We are talking about an Mp4 (mainly) against a tablet. Does that comparison make sense?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
The bigger screen is an advantage in some ways, but a disadvantage in others. I have an iPad, my husband has an iPhone, my kid has an iPod Touch, and I have an Android phone, and I really feel the Apple App store is a trillion times better than what's available for Androids. There are some apps for the Android, but not the same number or level of apps. I would go for better apps over screen size, particularly since the advantages of larger screen size are balanced by the reduced level of portability.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
I don't really see them as competing products. The iPod Touch fits in a pocket, the Fire is a small-sized tablet. I've got an iTouch, a Nook Color and an iPad, and they all serve different purposes. More likely to draw purchases away from an iPad than an iTouch.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Bob Cringely (Kindle Fire: Take three tablets and call me in the morning) is buying three to replace iPod Touches for his kids. He argues that less features are better in this case. It had not previously occurred to me that iPods were a target of the Fire but Bob (and stonetools sources) may be on to something. Based on the reports I have seen the Touch may be languishing at Apple - they seem to be betting that there is no significant room between a smart phone and the iPad. Apple probably does have room to drop Touch prices though, which is a potential disadvantage of Amazon announcing before the big Apple event.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 04:31 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's too big and doesn't have enough local storage to make a viable "out and about" music player, to my mind. And think of the "are you pleased to see me or have you got a Kindle Fire in your pocket?" moments .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Different categories, no? If I were considering buying an iPod Touch, then I'm probably not looking to buy a device that's twice the size (physically). However, I might consider an inexpensive* Android smartphone with microSD slot as an alternative to the Touch.

* inexpensive = under $200 without contract, basically around the same price as the Touch
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
However, I might consider an inexpensive* Android smartphone with microSD slot as an alternative to the Touch.

* inexpensive = under $200 without contract, basically around the same price as the Touch
Take a look at the battery life before doing that. Many cheap Android phones have a very poor battery life, especially when playing music. You can drain the battery flat in a couple of hours.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Take a look at the battery life before doing that. Many cheap Android phones have a very poor battery life, especially when playing music. You can drain the battery flat in a couple of hours.
I have an AT&T version of the LG Optimus One (LG Thrive) and battery life isn't bad. I'd say it's roughly on par with (perhaps even better than) the first iPhone 2G. I don't find battery life on the iPod Touch all that amazing, anyway. My iPhone 4 has much better battery life compared to the Touch. Granted, I think the LG Thrive may have better battery life compared to the generic LG Optimus One.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I don't find battery life on the iPod Touch all that amazing, anyway. My iPhone 4 has much better battery life compared to the Touch.
Thanks for that; I was judging it on the basis of the battery life on my iPhone 4. I got rid of my older Touch when I bought the iPhone.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #11
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I do find the difference in size between the Touch and Fire to have many pros and cons. Certainly, typing information is always better on a slightly larger device, so browsing the web and games would appear to be better on the Fire. For listening to audiobooks and music, it's hard to beat my iTouch and bluetooth earphones for portability and convenience. And your calendar and contacts can always be with you if you don't use a smartphone.

I've considered listening to music and audiobooks on my Optimus, but haven't tried it thus far. I did learn a cool trick to solve the battery issues, however. For $21 I was able to get a battery charger and two additional batteries from Amazon. Now I just always carry an extra battery or two and never have to worry about my phone not being charged. It is a very inexpensive, simple solution compared to several other options I tried. An extra battery is also small and light weight.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
I've considered listening to music and audiobooks on my Optimus, but haven't tried it thus far. I did learn a cool trick to solve the battery issues, however. For $21 I was able to get a battery charger and two additional batteries from Amazon. Now I just always carry an extra battery or two and never have to worry about my phone not being charged. It is a very inexpensive, simple solution compared to several other options I tried. An extra battery is also small and light weight.
The wonders of user-replaceable batteries.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought about comparisons overnight. Call me a fanboy, but the ipod Touch holds up surprisingly well.

INTERFACE

The IPT has a fluid, reliable touch interface that is likely to become even better come 10.4. With KF, we don't know for sure yet. Things look good, but without an actual hands on by an independent reviewer., that's a question mark. Generally, sub-$249 tablets have had poor and unresponsive screens.

IPT+
KF ?

AUDIO

IPT good only with earphones
KF likely same

CAMERAS

IPT ++

Two crappy ones beat none. And in fact, I've seen pictures taken with the IPT and my eyes didn't melt.

BATTERY LIFE

4-5 hours for the IPT
6-8 for the KF, according to specs

KF+
STORAGE

The bottom line IPT and the KF both have 8Gs with no removable storage. They both will have impressive cloud storage options.

DISPLAY

The IPT screen is smaller, but everyone who has experienced the Retina display says its superior even to e-ink. I'm calling this a draw.

ECOSYSTEM
This is where the rubber meets the road. Neither of these are great standalone devices but they both hook into great ecosystems.

1. SHOPPING

Amazon is Shopping Central for just about anything. Apple is limited to digital content, but its digital content options are broader.

2. SOFTWARE

Amazon has a nice little app store , but the Ios App Store is well, THE APP STORE.

3. MUSIC AND VIDEO

Apple has a broader selection, Amazon better prices. Apple has Netflix and Pandora apps, Amazon doesn't and may never.

4. BOOKS

Here Amazon is best. Apple, again, has more choices in that you can shop anywhere and read it on the IPT.

5. RADIO ANd PODCASTS.

Through ITunes, you can get a vast selection of radio shows and pod-casts. Nothing like that for Amazon, AFAIK.

More could be written, but I've got chores. .

I'd have to say that it's not the knockout I originally thought it would be for the KF.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
The IPT screen is smaller, but everyone who has experienced the Retina display says its superior even to e-ink.
I'm going to have to call you on that one, I'm afraid. I don't think that's true at all. I have an iPhone 4 with a Retina display, and I certainly don't find it superior to eInk for the purposes that I want to use eInk for, which is reading books on. eInk is a clear winner for that. Of course, there are plenty of things that the iPhone display IS better for, but to claim that "everyone says that Retina is better" is not true.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #15
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm going to have to call you on that one, I'm afraid. I don't think that's true at all. I have an iPhone 4 with a Retina display, and I certainly don't find it superior to eInk for the purposes that I want to use eInk for, which is reading books on. eInk is a clear winner for that. Of course, there are plenty of things that the iPhone display IS better for, but to claim that "everyone says that Retina is better" is not true.
Haven't tried out myself but there are folks who say that. I'll amend to "MANY people say that....."