Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 04-01-2011, 02:15 AM   #121
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
A couple hrs later my son asked what happened I told him. So he connected my Literati to his computer added his files to mine. So now its working. I dont have a clue what happened when I Deleted the 1 file ... & I have no clue How my son put his files on it. But whatever it worked & I Wont try that again.

bkd it IS Supported!! Kobo also supports the Literati! & I was told by them I could send mine to them & they would send me another. As for getting Updates on Software it added as soon as you connect to WiFi.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:00 AM   #122
vjplo
Enthusiast
vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.

Device: Literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
http://www.literatireader.com/user-support.aspx

I'm not sure what site you are taking about being down, but this site is still up.
Thanks for this info. I'm relieved that the site still exists.

At the time of my last post my support bookmark brought me to a Sharper Image site that didn't include the Literati, but now it works. Register.com says the site was last updated on March 30 so presumably there was something going on for a while.
vjplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #123
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Glad you were able to find the info before you returned it - in spite of all its quirks and glitches, I'd miss my Literati for bedtime reading.

Last edited by Meemo; 04-01-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #124
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_case View Post
Hi. I've been searching all over the web for an answer to my problem, but none of the solutions seem to be working for me.
I got a Literati for X-Mas (how many times has that been said?) and it worked well for three months. I was able to put my ebooks in epub format on the internal HD and read them. I wasn't as pleased with its handling of pdf, but so it goes.
Last night I was downloading a free book (On the Origin of the Species) with WiFi when I got a strange message about my bookmarks being updated. When I returned to the library, all my books were gone. I can still see them on the internal memory when I connect my device to the computer, but the reader will not detect them. Plus, I cannot delete any files from the device without getting an error message. Also, Calibre will detect the device, but soon flashes an error message as well.
I know that the likely answer is the my file system has been corrupted, but I can't seem to make factory reset function as intended. It resets my time and date, but does nothing to the files still on the internal memory of the device. I even tried to reformat the device, but that too gave an error message. I tried hard resets galore, and nothing. After synching or disconnecting the USB, the "processing" screen takes foooooorever, but still fails to detect the books on the internal memory.
I'm ready to defenestrate this P.O.S. Basically right now it is a paperweight.

Calibre error message:
calibre, version 0.7.52
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Errno 13] Permission denied: 'H:\\.driveinfo.calibre'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 64, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 297, in _get_device_information
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 95, in get_device_information
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 83, in _update_driveinfo_file
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'H:\\.driveinfo.calibre'

Help, please. I want my device back!
Sounds like it's time to call customer support.
I posted these numbers on this thread: For software issues with the Literati it's Kobo that provides customer support. If it's a hardware issue, the manufacturer of the Literati is Merch Source. Sharper Image just puts their name & Literati on them.

Merch Source has 2 Customer Service numbers for hardware issues (I was given this number as well when I e-mailed Sharper Image about an issue with my charging cover).
800-374-2744
800-481-7938

866-204-4714 is Kobo's customer support help line for software issues.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #125
mental_case
mental_case began at the beginning.

Thanks Meemo

Meemo,
Oh, man, I was trying to avoid customer service. In my experience, they're just going to first misunderstand the problem, then tell me to do things I've already done, and finally fail to help me at all. But thanks for your advice, and the numbers. I will give them a try.
C
mental_case is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #126
Meemo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_case View Post
Meemo,
Oh, man, I was trying to avoid customer service. In my experience, they're just going to first misunderstand the problem, then tell me to do things I've already done, and finally fail to help me at all. But thanks for your advice, and the numbers. I will give them a try.
C
I know what you mean - but if you can't even get it to factory reset (I had to do mine when I put a book on it that it didn't like) I'm not sure what else you can do. At least they're familiar with Calibre (at least enough to suggest using it in their user's guide).

But maybe someone else has a better suggestion.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #127
Katydidnt
Katydidnt began at the beginning.

I was able to change the cover art displayed on the bookshelf by downloading an epub editor called Sigil. It was very easy to use!

Last edited by Katydidnt; 04-06-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Never Mind (Figured it out!)
Katydidnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #128
rebeltaz
Connoisseur
rebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket eDge
I saw a couple of posts here where users could get Calibre to see the Literati but I never saw an answer. I am having that same problem, so I figured I'd ask.

I am running Ubuntu 10.04, Calibre 0.6.42 (the latest in the Lucid Lynx repositories) and the Literati has updated itself to the latest firmware - 2.0 r23523.

When I plug the reader into the computer, Linux recognizes it, but the only thing it shows is a folder called Desktop Software (or something like that) with Windows and Mac folders under that. I can manually copy files to the root of the reader. I tried a PDF which showed up under the Docs tab. When I try to have Calibre send an ebook to the reader, it says that none are connected. I tried the Device Debug and it tried all of the plugins and thought it found the right one with BOOX, but that failed.

Can someone please help!!? Thanks...
rebeltaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #129
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Fixing a complete lock up.

I just got a unit off eBay and it would not go past the logo start up screen. Here is what I did to fix it.

Here is an answer I just placed on our wiki entry for Literati.

Go to http://help.kobobooks.com/forums, the kobo forum site. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find the Literati questions. Select the question to update without a wifi and then download the KoboRoot.tgz file from the site. If you have access to a computer and your Literati is running then you can follow the instructions on the page. In my case my Literati was completely locked up showing the logo screen so here is what I did:
1. Turn the device off
2. Place the file you downloaded at the root of an SD card. Place the card in the device (it faces backwards)
3. Hold the Q key down while turning the device on.
4. It will look for an upgrade on the SD card. It may complain once or twice. Just be patient and wait for about 10 minutes or so. During that top it will like display the power on logo screen but it is not done yet.
5. When it finishes it will display the bookcase and the buttons will work.
This may not be the latest version so if you are ever where there is a wifi connection check for a later one.

Worked for me!!
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #130
PonyPam
PonyPam began at the beginning.

Device: Literatit
Hi all -- just joined here a couple minutes ago.

Love my Literati -- except when it WON'T TURN ON! Last time this happened, hitting the Reset button took care of the problem. This time? Not working.

Any ideas, or shall I plan to spend most of tomorrow glued to a phone trying to navigate customer service?
PonyPam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:31 AM   #131
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Do you mean no screen logo at all? If you can get a screen logo but no further then the download tip I published may help you. If no power at all check the battery, plug in the device to power and leave a few minutes and then try again.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:05 AM   #132
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPam View Post
Hi all -- just joined here a couple minutes ago.

Love my Literati -- except when it WON'T TURN ON! Last time this happened, hitting the Reset button took care of the problem. This time? Not working.

Any ideas, or shall I plan to spend most of tomorrow glued to a phone trying to navigate customer service?
This happened to mine. You won't spend all day on the phone because all they tell you is to do the Reset button. If that doesn't work, they'll tell you that they'll send you a box and a mailing label to return it for a replacement. I speak from experience, I called them on March 10th, took 2 weeks to get the box and label, and as of today, April 11th, I'm still waiting for the replacement.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #133
PonyPam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Do you mean no screen logo at all? If you can get a screen logo but no further then the download tip I published may help you. If no power at all check the battery, plug in the device to power and leave a few minutes and then try again.

Dale
Already tried that. ::sigh:: And yes, no screen logo at ALL. Nothing.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #134
PonyPam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
This happened to mine. You won't spend all day on the phone because all they tell you is to do the Reset button. If that doesn't work, they'll tell you that they'll send you a box and a mailing label to return it for a replacement. I speak from experience, I called them on March 10th, took 2 weeks to get the box and label, and as of today, April 11th, I'm still waiting for the replacement.
Well, good news it won't take them all day to tell me to wait for them to send me a box. But how disappointing!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #135
PonyPam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
Here's an interesting twist, IMO: Got off the phone w/ CS. After establishing that the device is indeed deader than a doornail, she first tells me that it's supposed to recharge while turned ON. ??? Somehow, I don't remember that. When do you ever shut it off, then? I have been leaving my shut off while recharging, then turning it on for the thirty minutes or so of peace and quiet I get at the end of the day to be able to read! But, okay.

Second -- she wants me first to call Best Buy, Kohl's and JC Penney locally to see if they have one on hand for me to exchange, and if not THEN to call them back so that they can exchange it for me.