Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
saniko
saniko is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
iPad + Goodreader = Unbeatable

I've gone through most of the major eBook readers - PRS-505, iLiad, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, Opus. I've finally found the one I like best. It's the iPad + Goodreader.

I can read all my technical documents as PDFs on the iPad with no problems. It opens the PDFs amazingly fast and the functionality is fantastic. Its slightly better than the FBReader for iLiad which was my previous favorite.

Do I miss the e-ink screen? Not so much. I miss the matte screen. However, the color and the extra features make this a no-brainer. I'm really surprised at how good the iPad screen is.
saniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Ok I'm sold. I was getting pissed about pdf support, but i'll get it now
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorlike View Post
Ok I'm sold. I was getting pissed about pdf support, but i'll get it now
Go into iTunes and buy Good Reader for iPad now while it is $.99. Once they realize all the people that will want it to read PDF eBooks I bet it will go up to $10.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #4
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Done!

It looks great alright. Not as good as apple's preview

I was wondering how to move over a huge pdf when I saw the "local server" option. Cute. Luckily that's not too hard.

Last edited by Mirrorlike; 04-04-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:42 AM   #5
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur

the free iPDF is way faster & clearer.. but I don't yet see how to load my books on it.

Last edited by Mirrorlike; 04-04-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:19 AM   #6
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by saniko View Post
I've gone through most of the major eBook readers - PRS-505, iLiad, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, Opus. I've finally found the one I like best. It's the iPad + Goodreader.
Life is good. Thanks for trying this out and recommending it. I'm viewing a 40 MB file right now, and it's sitting as a file in the iPad.

As for math pdfs, it still needs work. See my other post on the mass.pdf file. The fault lies with Apple:

http://www.goodiware.com/gr-man-trou...l#pdfscrambled

Last edited by Fat Abe; 04-04-2010 at 03:37 AM. Reason: add comment
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:24 AM   #7
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorlike View Post
the free iPDF is way faster & clearer.. but I don't yet see how to load my books on it.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79200

i dont have ipad. hope it works
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:48 AM   #8
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiru View Post
almost

it shows the file sharing section & it's helpful for transferring, but iPDF isn't capable of accessing that section. Hopefully the developer will update it soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filesharing.png
Views:	1160
Size:	517.5 KB
ID:	49142  
Old 04-04-2010, 04:39 AM   #9
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
most of the developers didn't know itune's file sharing feature, and likely to upgrade their apps soon to use this .
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:13 AM   #10
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Do you find it easy to read a full size A4 PDF without having to zoom?
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #11
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
Do you find it easy to read a full size A4 PDF without having to zoom?
Nope. Of course it depends on the font size and the arrangement of text, but I usually have to zoom or turn it sideways or increase the font size. I'll post pictures later if you're interested
Old 04-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #12
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Please do post the pictures.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #13
SomeThingWickd
First to go, last to know
SomeThingWickd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, iPhone w/Stanza, and NOW a 16GB Apple iPad WiFi
I don't see why those of you with the PDF's dont download Calibre, convert your books from PDF to ePub, and then sync into iBooks with iTunes....

(I have done this for about 100+ of my books, and have been REALLY enjoying reading on the iPad since noon yesterday....)

Am I missing something here??? (No sarcasm, just curious..)

(Most of my books are in PDF, LRF and a few other formats as well....hence my curiosity....)
SomeThingWickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeThingWickd View Post
I don't see why those of you with the PDF's dont download Calibre, convert your books from PDF to ePub, and then sync into iBooks with iTunes....

Am I missing something here??? (No sarcasm, just curious..)
Most definitely. While your plan is fine for text only ebooks... many of the PDFs that people want to view contain graphs, charts, code listings, etc which makes the layout of the PDF very important. So, being able to view the PDF with it's layout intact is a necessity.

For example, Try to convert an FAA instrument approach plate in Calibre and view it... will it work? Not so much.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #15
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah I don't need PDFs for books. I need it for scholarly journal articles full of tables, graphs etc. that need the layout in text.

I was impressed with how well Goodreader handled such documents, and how letter sized, double column pdfs looked. Text is a bit small in portrait, but fine in landscape and the scrolling is so quick that it's not that annoying to scroll down, then up, then back down on each page in landscape. Not ideal, but doable and not as bad as I expected.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote