Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Bookeen and PocketBook in possible legal dispute over 5" model

On March 14th Ukrainian company PocketBook showed prototype of their new 5" model (developed by Netronix with PocketBook's input) at a meeting with ebook enthusiasts in Kiev.
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10561
On March 19th the site the-ebook.org posted a news entry about it:
http://www.the-ebook.org/rus/?p=1142
On March 20th "Michael Dahan" added this comment:
Quote:
This whole design has been developed by our company with Netronix as ODM.
We have paid the whole design development and expected to release this device very soon under our brand on the worlwide market (included Russia and Ukraine).

We are deepply sorry for this situation and don’t want to prevent the russian customers to have one new device on their market but we will do our best to keep our Intellectual Property Rights respected and prevent any vendor to sell our ID device.
PocketBook claims they have signed an exclusive contract for worldwide distribution of the new device with Netronix, but apparently Bookeen thinks they have worldwide rights as well. Then there's the matter of the "mentor" label on the prototype, which is the name of the new model series by Astak...

I hope the situation can be settled without litigation. The new device looks very promising.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Now there is post from a gentleman who claims(**) to be General Manager at Netronix in a thread about PocketBook 360:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43118
He asks us to pull down the pictures and all references to 5" device.
This situation is getting very interesting.

Seems that the above linked thread at
http://www.the-ebook.org/rus/?p=1142
has been removed.

(**)It looks like he really is from Netronix, because he provided an email address at Netronix.

Last edited by kacir; 03-24-2009 at 08:52 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 03:47 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
Ice
Ice began at the beginning.

Device: lBook(Jinke) v8, Orsio b721 (Netronix 100), PocketBook 360
well, looks like there will be no any "fight"... This device will be sold as Bookeen. PocketBook is now promising the new ("much better") design
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Perhaps they will be better off this way. PocketBook seems to have some very talented programmers, if they bring together a team of capable engineers, they might get a dream team that's gonna rock the world of e-ink reading devices. They will be able to design a device tailored specifically for their FW and vice versa.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Michael Dahan said:
Quote:
This whole design has been developed by our company with Netronix as ODM. We have paid the whole design development and expected to release this device very soon under our brand on the worlwide market (included Russia and Ukraine).
Are we missing the forest for the trees here. Bookeen has just pre-announced what looks like a very promising new product coming "very soon". The pictures are not of a PocketBook 360°, but they are of the Bookeen device (or something very like it).

The software is key, but if Bookeen can deliver Adobe PDF/ePub and MOBI at a good price point then this may be a serious contender. I also like the sound of the PocketBook software stack, so we have at least two new devices fighting it out with the JetBook for 5" dominance.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This device with a 5" screen is a step backwards (IMHO).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Only if you want a larger screen. Just as a 6" screen is not a step backwards from, say, an Iliad -- unless you are looking for size.

A smaller form factor might work very well for some people and some situations.

Choice is good.

A 5" device with software innovations could be a step forward in many ways. We shall see.

Me -- I'm fine with a 6" screen size for now.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would stick with a 6" screen as the small end of eink and let the innovations happen there and move forward as screen sized increase.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:55 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Not for me; if I'd had the option for a PRS with a 5" screen, I'd've jumped at it. I've considered getting a Jetbook, despite the drawbacks (for my particular case), because of the smaller screen.

I *loved* my Cliés, and would've read books on them forever if they hadn't died. (Oh, and if they hadn't kept running out of battery mid-book.) I'd be beyond ecstatic to find e-Ink's battery life and a 4" screen.

I'm aware that I'm a fringe case; not many people will happily give up page size for portability (I really miss a reader that's safe to hold & operate with one hand). But some will, and the number of people willing to watch movies on iPods (!!) show that not everyone is concerned with screen size, and other feature might win out.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I would stick with a 6" screen as the small end of eink and let the innovations happen there and move forward as screen sized increase.
Jon:

Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Pretty cool little device. There are times I wouldn't mind something smaller, and cheaper, than my K2. It'll be interesting when we learn more about it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are two reasons for 5" screens, a) smaller devices and b) cheaper devices. If EInk screens were being produced in the tens of millions, then (a) would dominate but (b) may be significant given the current cost of 6" screens.

Since cost is an issue, these may be paired with older screen controllers which potentially reduces the software cost also (at least for established vendors with comparable 6" designs and their relatively mature software).

I would love to see a "high end" 5" design, because I do think that 5" is a good size for a "pocketable" reader. However, I expect to see modest extensions to existing 6" designs. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, it will keep vendor interest high in the existing software stacks and time is always necessary to allow incremental improvements to occur.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:14 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There are two reasons for 5" screens, a) smaller devices and b) cheaper devices. If EInk screens were being produced in the tens of millions, then (a) would dominate but (b) may be significant given the current cost of 6" screens.

Since cost is an issue, these may be paired with older screen controllers which potentially reduces the software cost also (at least for established vendors with comparable 6" designs and their relatively mature software).

I would love to see a "high end" 5" design, because I do think that 5" is a good size for a "pocketable" reader. However, I expect to see modest extensions to existing 6" designs. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, it will keep vendor interest high in the existing software stacks and time is always necessary to allow incremental improvements to occur.
A third reason is higher dpi, the same pixel count as a 6" device, raising the ppi to 200. Some with good eyes will appreciate this.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #15
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Not for me; if I'd had the option for a PRS with a 5" screen, I'd've jumped at it. I've considered getting a Jetbook, despite the drawbacks (for my particular case), because of the smaller screen.

I *loved* my Cliés, and would've read books on them forever if they hadn't died. (Oh, and if they hadn't kept running out of battery mid-book.) I'd be beyond ecstatic to find e-Ink's battery life and a 4" screen.

I'm aware that I'm a fringe case; not many people will happily give up page size for portability (I really miss a reader that's safe to hold & operate with one hand). But some will, and the number of people willing to watch movies on iPods (!!) show that not everyone is concerned with screen size, and other feature might win out.
Elfwreck, I wish your Clie have a long life but let me ask you what eBook reader you will buy in case if it stops working tomorrow?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookeen pocketbook