Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
nixlos
nixlos began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
Telnet over Wifi

Is it possible to enable Telnet over wifi?

How can i manage that?
nixlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:26 AM   #2
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
AFAIK only SSH over WiFi is possible.
Telnet is insecure.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:32 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, since it's essentially a gaping hole to your device, the USBNet hack lets the firewall do its job, thus no telnet over wifi.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixlos View Post
Is it possible to enable Telnet over wifi?

How can i manage that?
You will have to change the Kindle's firewall rules to allow that.

If you are running the KUAL/BBB filter set of firewall rules. It is an easy, one liner to enable or disable the Telnet (or other) port on a specific interface.

If you are running the Kindle's original set of firewall rules, ....
Duh, I don't even try to support changing those.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
nixlos

So i only have to open the port?

Thanks you guys
Old 03-13-2014, 04:45 AM   #6
nixlos

on my search on how to open a post in the Kindle Firewall i found this, but it dont work for me.

1. ive Jailbreaked my Kindle 4nt
2. i installed the USBnet Package
3. Configurated my Computer and Setup SSH over Wifi (Works fine)

i followed the instruction on here to change the firewall settings KLICK ME but it dont work, the port remains closed

iam sorry, i know my english is not so well, hope to get more infos
Old 03-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@nixlos: Forget about whatever doc you read (which actually describes something else entirely, main != diags, so it has zero relevance to the USBNetwork hack), and just read the fine manual in the USBNet archive. Everything you need is in there. (Use KUAL if you're not feeling up to tweaking the config by hand).
Old 03-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
nixlos

i cant find anything about firewall configuration in the USBnet readme
Old 03-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@nixlos: because the hack takes care of it for you if you set it up accordingly. Granted, that won't help with telnet, but as I said earlier, that's by design.