Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 03:08 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
I'd think the Man-Kzin books would be a copyright nightmare with all those different authors..
Many of those of course ARE available as eBooks from Baen.

It's the original "known space" books which appear to be unavailable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:40 AM   #17
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Haven't read Ringworld but my dad is forever mentioning it and for that reason I have it on my TBR list. I just never seem to get around to it. I think I'll give the audiobook a go instead.

I read The Integral Trees and really loved that.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #18
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
My favorite is Protector.

I've been stupid...

A lot of his earlier non-Known Space works are available.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yes Protector is excellent!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
The Pierson's Puppeteers first made an appearance in the short story "Neutron Star" which appeared in the collection "Tales of Known Space."

It's surprising how much of Niven's work is unavailable for ereaders.
Ah yes. I remember the story though I had forgotten the title. We learn something about their homeworld in the story as I recall.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #21
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Yes I too loved Protector.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #22
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Haven't read Ringworld but my dad is forever mentioning it and for that reason I have it on my TBR list. I just never seem to get around to it. I think I'll give the audiobook a go instead.

I read The Integral Trees and really loved that.
I prefer Integral Trees and the Smoke Ring to Ringworld.
Most of the Tales of Known Space are very good but Ringworld's ending...annoyed me. Humorous intent or not.
Spoiler:

Lucky morons are going to inherit the universe? I beg to differ.
No amount of luck can make up for DARWIN AWARDS -evel brainlessness.

Not a book I re-read.

(Maybe I should to see if my perception has changed. First I need to see where my copy is these days.)

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-04-2012 at 04:45 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #23
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do wish they were available as ebooks.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-04-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:38 AM   #24
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Ah yes. I remember the story though I had forgotten the title. We learn something about their homeworld in the story as I recall.
Yep, we do; that it has no moon (because the Puppeteers were unable to figure out that it was a gravitational tide that killed the crew of one if their supposedly invulnerable General Products-hulled ships).

Great story.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #25
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Yep, we do; that it has no moon (because the Puppeteers were unable to figure out that it was a gravitational tide that killed the crew of one if their supposedly invulnerable General Products-hulled ships).

Great story.
Yep, and they are suppose to be cowards though there is a contradiction I think. Or at least there are some who are brave as they do sometimes interact with beings from other cultures. And they do have business dealings with others (the aformentioned General Products ship hulls) so you have to wonder how they can do that and be a race of cowards at the same time.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #26
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Yep, and they are suppose to be cowards though there is a contradiction I think. Or at least there are some who are brave as they do sometimes interact with beings from other cultures. And they do have business dealings with others (the aformentioned General Products ship hulls) so you have to wonder how they can do that and be a race of cowards at the same time.
The ones who interact with other species are considered insane by the rest of the Pierson's Puppeteers.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #27
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And they do have business dealings with others (the aformentioned General Products ship hulls) so you have to wonder how they can do that and be a race of cowards at the same time.
E-mail?
Message boards?
Telepresence would be my guess. Maybe via on-screen avatars.
(Think of Asimov's Solaria, from THE NAKED SUN.)
Old 12-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #28
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
E-mail?
Message boards?
Wait...are you saying.....
Old 12-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #29
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Wait...are you saying.....
We all know who they are, don't we? No need to name names, right?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #30
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I thought Ringworld was okay, but it didn't inspire me to seek out any more in the same setting.
Really liked Ringworld, but not enough to pursue the series. I've got a printed edition, can't bring myself to give or sell it, but not interested in a reread either. Hmmm...maybe it is time.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote