Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Questions on moving books to Kindle device

Have been operating in a simple way moving one to five books at a time and making sure I convert to mobi first.

Curious as I need to move about 600 books that were all in epub format. I have converted using bulk convert all to mobi. Now usually I delete all the epubs before moving books to the kindle. Is this necessary or will calibre automatically determine if the book is in a Kindle readable format and then just upload that version?

If I didn't bulk convert would Calibre if I tried to send epubs automatically convert as needed. I ask in case I had a set of books which were in say different formats ie: epubs, pdf's etc.

Thanks for any help
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
Have been operating in a simple way moving one to five books at a time and making sure I convert to mobi first.

Curious as I need to move about 600 books that were all in epub format. I have converted using bulk convert all to mobi. Now usually I delete all the epubs before moving books to the kindle. Is this necessary or will calibre automatically determine if the book is in a Kindle readable format and then just upload that version?

If I didn't bulk convert would Calibre if I tried to send epubs automatically convert as needed. I ask in case I had a set of books which were in say different formats ie: epubs, pdf's etc.

Thanks for any help
No need to delete.

Calibre will send the first available format found based upon the Device Plugin setting order and formats enabled.

If your device supports a format but you prefer a different one: change the order or remove the Tick mark.

the Device Output Plugin is found in Preferences: Plugins
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
Yep, no need to delete one format when using another.
I have also batch converted all my epub books to mobi for use on the kindle Fire and depending on the device I have connected to calibre, my Sony T1 or Kindle Fire, the correct file goes to the device.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
If any of the books you are trying to transfer do not have a compatible format, a dialog box will appear asking if you want calibre to convert them and transfer them. If you click the "details" button on that dialog, it will show you a list of the books that need converting.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
format for DX and Kindle 3

I just got the Kindle DX, and I had the Kindle 3 setup on Calibre. On the preferences I believe I set it up for Kindle 3. Now when I transferred my library to the DX I did change it to the DX.

The question is I will be transferring to both Kindles, do I have to change it, or does Calibre know this is a DX and this is a Kindle 3 and does it even matter?

Very helpful thread I had the same question
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
I just got the Kindle DX, and I had the Kindle 3 setup on Calibre. On the preferences I believe I set it up for Kindle 3. Now when I transferred my library to the DX I did change it to the DX.

The question is I will be transferring to both Kindles, do I have to change it, or does Calibre know this is a DX and this is a Kindle 3 and does it even matter?

Very helpful thread I had the same question
Mostly the preference applies to the formatting of News prior to sending.
Calibre detects the device and uses the device driver for that device (series).
As long as the the device doesn't use the SAME driver (Preferences: Plugins: Output drivers ) AND the 2 devices don't have conflicting settings, you are good.

In your case, they are 2 different drivers, so no conflicting driver settings

Set the device(welcome Wizard) to the device you send News to.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote