Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
charonme
Zealot
charonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to behold

Device: K3
what can be done with an non-registered kindle 3?

What can be done with an non-registered kindle 3 wifi (non-3g)?

updated list of known working features:
- jailbreak, fonts and screensavers hacks
- reading drm free pdf, mobi and txt books
- collections (hack)
- epub: FBreader & fbKindle (thanks, wallcraft) (hack)
- browser in wifi mode (see LDBoblo)
- firmware update

and finally, please don't feed the trolls

Last edited by charonme; 11-22-2010 at 12:35 PM.
charonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
why don't you want to register it?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:46 AM   #3
ScoutPilot
Enthusiast
ScoutPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket, Kindle 2, Kindle 3 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
why don't you want to register it?
Why is that always the first question that's asked?
ScoutPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:58 AM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutPilot View Post
Why is that always the first question that's asked?
It is because registering it is the easiest and only supported way to get all the features working. You can register it once and then never ever connect back to Amazon if you wish. You can download and apply firmware updates without any risk of it breaking due to the modifications.

If it is a blacklisted Kindle then you're on your own however :P
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by charonme View Post
What can be done with an non-registered kindle 3 wifi (non-3g)?
You could hack it at your own risk. Then it will act as a 'registered'!
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
charonme
Zealot
charonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to behold

troll feeding removed

Last edited by charonme; 11-22-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
1.) why would you want to know why someone may not "want to register it"?
There have been several posts started by people who have bought or "found" a blacklisted Kindle. If it is blacklisted then you should contact Kindle customer services and talk to them. It is nothing to do with us.

Quote:
2.) I didn't say in the OP I didn't want to register it
If so then register it. As I said, it is the easiest way to get everything working without any risks of it breaking due to future changes. Amazon may change things in the future that break these hacks or they may add other features which require registration.

Quote:
3.) the answers might be useful to those who want to use the K3 unregistered regardless of the reasons why
No. Not really.

Quote:
4.) why would you want to register it if it was possible to use without registration?
See above.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
So instead of actually helping someone with a question about what can be done with an unregistered Kindle, people are just telling the poster to just register it.

I'm also curious about what can be done with an unregistered Kindle, other than "register it", which I (and I suspect the OP) already know.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
So instead of actually helping someone with a question about what can be done with an unregistered Kindle, people are just telling the poster to just register it.
You could have told the OP as well. You've got a Kindle and its easy enough to unregister it and then register.

Registering it is the easiest way to get it fully working. Why bother hacking it? K1 and K2 registration hacks were needed because only the US really uses CDMA. If you had a K1/K2 outside of the US then it was impossible to register as you can't do it via USB and they didn't have WiFi.

If you're paranoid about Amazon then you can leave wireless disabled forever after that initial registration.

Quote:
I'm also curious about what can be done with an unregistered Kindle, other than "register it", which I (and I suspect the OP) already know.
The OP pretty much lists it already. No registration = No collections and no connection to Amazon so that means no Kindle store items or syncing.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
charonme
Zealot

what works on a non-registered kindle

OP updated

Last edited by charonme; 11-22-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Just in case some people interested in this matter were confused by some unhelpful trolls
Its more likely that you're the one trolling actually. You've got a K3 from your information so you're perfectly able to research this information yourself since it is simple to unregister and register a Kindle.

If people have a Kindle that isn't on the blacklist from being stolen then in 99.9% of cases it is best to just register it. The people who have a non blacklisted Kindle and no ability to register is extremely small.

The number of people with a Kindle which is on the blacklist seems to be increasing considering the number of people who post here. If you're using stolen property then thats something you need to talk to Kindle customer services about. If the Kindle isn't stolen then again, you need to talk to Kindle customer services to get it off the blacklist. It is nothing to do with us and as such, I don't feel the need to help those people get around the admittedly few restrictions on such a device.

Quote:
now the question is what else works?
I told you above what doesn't work. You already listed it as well in your original post. Just in case you need it yet again reconfirmed, no registration = no collections + no kindle store + no syncing between devices.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #12
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Just in case some people interested in this matter were confused by some unhelpful trolls, I'll list what we know so far:

- jailbreak should work
- collections can be made to work
- reading of pdf, mobi, html, doc, txt should work

now the question is what else works?
The web browser works on mine...basically everything but collections and sync and the Kindle store's features (previews, etc.)
I generally only use mine for reading PDFs, so there's no real benefit to me registering. I might try the hack for collections and stuff, but its absence doesn't make much difference to me.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #13
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
I don't feel the need to help those people get around the admittedly few restrictions on such a device.
Then just don't read the thread. Not everyone wants to register.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Then just don't read the thread.
You're allowed to post what you like so long as it doesn't go against the forum rules and I'm allowed to read what I like.

Quote:
Not everyone wants to register.
Okay. Give me a good reason why you don't want to? Excluding the inability due to the blacklist or because you're on a boat in the middle of nowhere and therefore have no GSM or WiFi access.

If you're worried about Amazon identifying you then there is nothing stopping you from making a brand new Amazon account that only has your Kindle registered to it. You don't even need to give real details. Mr A.N. Onymous may feel the need to register a webmail account and then create a Amazon account to register their Kindle. You don't even need to have a payment card attached to it.

Last edited by Tiersten; 11-21-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't think thee is anything wrong with the original question. The Kindle 3 is among the most advanced hardware for reading and it is also relatively inexpensive. So if you want nothing to do with the Amazon or the Kindle ebook store, what can you do with a Kindle? You can buy it in stores now don't forget.

One thing you can do is run FBreader & fbKindle on it. I currently run OpenInkPot on a Hanlin V3 with FBReader, and a Kindle + fbKindle might be the next generation of "open" ebook reader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote