Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
cubsfan61
cubsfan61 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Iphone App - Only works with purchased books..

Downloaded the new kindle iphone application. It appears that "whispersync" only works with books purchased from the amazon store. I was hoping it would work with books downloaded from feedbooks or with the newspaper subscriptions, like the chicago tribune. Currently I haven't yet purchased any books from amazon, so the iphone app is worthless.

Kevin
cubsfan61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
deety
book geek
deety began at the beginning.

It sounds like the point of the app is not to be a general e-book reader program but to let people who have an iPhone (but not necessarily a Kindle) buy e-books from the Amazon store. Obviously that's not going to suit everyone, but I think that it's a good thing for Amazon to be opening their store up a little to people using other devices.
deety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
radiationman
Connoisseur
radiationman began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan61 View Post
Downloaded the new kindle iphone application. It appears that "whispersync" only works with books purchased from the amazon store. I was hoping it would work with books downloaded from feedbooks or with the newspaper subscriptions, like the chicago tribune. Currently I haven't yet purchased any books from amazon, so the iphone app is worthless.

Kevin
Considering that Feedbooks aren't uploaded to Amazon's servers when you put them on the Kindle that makes a lot of sense... I don't think Amazon ever indcated that it would sync any content other than what you got from Amazon...
radiationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan61 View Post
Whispersync only works with books purchased from Amazon -- even for the Kindles. Amazon does not backup your books which came from somewhere else and therefore is not enabled to synchronize the "highest page read" across multiple devices.

For newspaper subscriptions purchased from Amazon, there is currently a restriction that the paper can be read on only one device. You can transfer the subscription from one device to another and the next issue will go to the second device, but not to the first one.

For newspaper subscriptions via RSS feeds (from Feedbooks or using Calibre), these are just like the books obtained from somewhere other than Amazon.

So, while the app for iPhone doesn't do what you would want, it is essentially equivalent to the support provided from Amazon's own device.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:56 AM   #5
KristinDaBomb
KristinDaBomb began at the beginning.

Device: None
I think the only free aspect of it is when they let you sample a book and give you the first chapter free.
KristinDaBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
nascarrunner71
nascarrunner71 began at the beginning.

Device: K1, K2, DX, iPad
You have an iphone. You don't need "whispersync" which is just wireless. Try the iphone app Stanza.
nascarrunner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
theshadow3141
theshadow3141 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
There are a lot of RSS and news readers for the iPhone. You certainly don't need that feature in the Kindle app.
theshadow3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
cubsfan61
cubsfan61 began at the beginning.

The whole idea behind whispersync is to keep your kindle synced up with your iphone, so when you have time to read 20 or 30 pages of a book on your iphone, when you turn on the kindle you're taken to the page where you left off. I was just hoping this would work for books I have on my kindle that were not purchased through the amazon store. Even though it would have been nice, I completely understand why amazon limited the feature to books purchased from the amazon store.

Sure I can use stanza. I do. As well as the Classics book reader app. Also use Byline to sync with my google reader rss feeds.
cubsfan61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Can't you just buy books on your kindle through whatever source and just tranfer to Iphone?
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #10
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
You can buy books from many sources and have them on your iPhone/iTouch with Stanza on the iPhone as the book reading software. You just need a way to get them there. One solution is Calibre which works very slick if you have a home network or server. Another good solution is to park your ebooks at bookworm/oreilly and then access and download into Stanza via Safari with the bookwork/stanza mobile application. That method also works very well.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote